Astra K - Positives!

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
AC2019
Astra Model: Astra SRi NAV 1.6 CDTI (136)
Astra Options: 18" Colour Alloys, Driving Asistance Pack.
Astra Colour: Summit White

Astra K - Positives!

Post by AC2019 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:35 am

Hello everyone,

I thought I would do a post to focus on the positives of the Astra K. We, including myself, can become obsessed with finding faults with our cars.

So here's a positive. The Astra has a very impressive Lane Assist! Level 2. This means the system is automated and takes full control of the vehicle (accelerating, braking and steering).
Think of it this way, no other car with same segment had this feature. Astra led way in safety tech for nearly 3years.

Check out this brave individual, who has shown the Astra completely working on it's own. With this I will add a WARNING and say I am not responsible for any actions of anyone who attempts to mimic this, this a safety feature and for assistance ONLY. The video is for GUIDANCE only:

YouTube link:

What, I've learnt is it's very impressive stuff. A feature I havent used too much, only every now and then on long straight motorways. When I got accustomed to the system, I showed my missus, and she absolutely hated it, as she didn't like how the car took full control, EVEN though it was doing the job correctly. I can understand, as it's a new technology, for the masses!

Anyway, reply with some positives!
Vx Astra SRi NAV 1.6 CDTi (136). Summit white. 18" Bi-Colour Alloys, Driving Assitance Pack. Light and Sight Pack. Plated 2016. Mileage (25k/yr)

MrSM82
Astra Model: 1.4T 150 SRi Nav (Auto)
Astra Colour: Cosmic Grey

Re: Astra K - Positives!

Post by MrSM82 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:13 am

Standard interior kit, much of it free like Car Play / Android Auto, that other manufacturers charge for. I had a Mercedes driver in my car who commented on how modern and 'technological' it was. He thought it was a brand new car (2 years old at the time).

The overall handling of the car is good too. Of course, it is 'safe' as a mainstream car but it gives you enough information about what is going on.

The 150 and 200 have enough pace to surprise other cars. Last night driving home for instance I had a BMW 318 in front of me going slow around a roundabout and on to a dual carriageway. He must have been annoyed that I was close. He tried to accelerate away but gave up when he realised he hadn't lost me :lol:

Rob14
Astra Model: SRI, 1.6 CDTI (136), 2016 plate
Astra Colour: Grey

Post by Rob14 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:32 am

How does your car have level 2 Lane assist?

I have a 16 plate SRI with lane assist and collision alert. However the lane assist doesn't do the acceleration and braking? Nor does my cruise control. Also my lane assist is no way as smooth as that haha. It drives to a white line then turns. I wouldn't trust it so close to the centre of the road lol.

Do love the car, many positives. Like the android auto ability. The lane assist and collision alert. Sport button. I find the economy and mpg impressive too.
SRI, 1.6CDTI, 136bhp, 2016 plate, Manual, Grey,

Crosseyxpower
Astra Model: Sri nav
Astra Colour: Red

Post by Crosseyxpower » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:51 am

Well I've had my astra k 1.0T sri nav for 3 years now and 33k miles. It hasn't missed a beat with absolute no complaints. It still looks as fresh as it did when I bought it 3 years ago. Impressive mpg of 56mpg in the summer and 50mpg in the colder winter months and also I've achieved 70mpg + on motorway journeys down the M5.
In comparison to my Mrs more expensive Ford focus, it has way more tech still.

PACMANIA

Post by PACMANIA » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:04 am

Matrix lights say no more. :lol:

LunD^dk

Post by LunD^dk » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:35 am

I would also say that the lane assist only serves as a safety feature, not something you can rely on to just drive on its own. It doesnt steer until you hit the white lines and if an opposite car is coming, you might hit it.

Also sometimes it doesn't see the lines and therefore doesn't respond on it.

AC2019

Post by AC2019 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:42 am

MrSM82 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:13 am
Standard interior kit, much of it free like Car Play / Android Auto, that other manufacturers charge for. I had a Mercedes driver in my car who commented on how modern and 'technological' it was. He thought it was a brand new car (2 years old at the time).

The overall handling of the car is good too. Of course, it is 'safe' as a mainstream car but it gives you enough information about what is going on.

The 150 and 200 have enough pace to surprise other cars. Last night driving home for instance I had a BMW 318 in front of me going slow around a roundabout and on to a dual carriageway. He must have been annoyed that I was close. He tried to accelerate away but gave up when he realised he hadn't lost me :lol:
I know what you mean, I read that BMW from I believe September will be offering Android Auto/Apple play as a subscription!

Yeah the Astra is pretty good and sticks to the road really well. I think the Petrol variants offer a lot more agility then the diesel.

Which Petrol have you got buddy? Haha, I love that, especially when they are going around as though they own the road!
Vx Astra SRi NAV 1.6 CDTi (136). Summit white. 18" Bi-Colour Alloys, Driving Assitance Pack. Light and Sight Pack. Plated 2016. Mileage (25k/yr)

AC2019

Post by AC2019 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:03 pm

Rob14 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:32 am
How does your car have level 2 Lane assist?

I have a 16 plate SRI with lane assist and collision alert. However the lane assist doesn't do the acceleration and braking? Nor does my cruise control. Also my lane assist is no way as smooth as that haha. It drives to a white line then turns. I wouldn't trust it so close to the centre of the road lol.

Do love the car, many positives. Like the android auto ability. The lane assist and collision alert. Sport button. I find the economy and mpg impressive too.
Well if this video is correct, then we who have the driving assistance park, such as yourself, but not to extent of a Tesla.
The only extent I've had this is where the lane assist did all it could to pick up the white lines, had my cruise control on at 60mph, and then braked for me as the car thought I wasnt going to brake as I got too close. (Set at highest distance(safest)).
Terms of accelerating I activated the cruise and it went back up to speed..
But, I know where you're coming from. I would give it a Level 1.5 haha. And I really wouldn't trust it on the roads he's on! I did it on motorway, quiet, and obviously room for error if needs be.

I know, I'm getting 64mpg (80% motorway). She loves the M4, not like me... she's a comfortable cruiser!

AC2019

Post by AC2019 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:10 pm

Crosseyxpower wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:51 am
Well I've had my astra k 1.0T sri nav for 3 years now and 33k miles. It hasn't missed a beat with absolute no complaints. It still looks as fresh as it did when I bought it 3 years ago. Impressive mpg of 56mpg in the summer and 50mpg in the colder winter months and also I've achieved 70mpg + on motorway journeys down the M5.
In comparison to my Mrs more expensive Ford focus, it has way more tech still.
I've only heard positives about the 1.0T. That's really impressive fuel economy as well. I've never driven the 1.0T, I bet it's probably the best car to experience to test out the agility in the corners. I've got the diesel variant, and I'm only getting 65mpg, so the weight much be a massive benefit of your car! Is your missus Focus the 1.0 EcoBoost?

AC2019

Post by AC2019 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:11 pm

PACMANIA wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:04 am
Matrix lights say no more. :lol:
Jealous! They are pretty sick. Does it do a start-up pattern?

Return to “Main Astra K chat”