nsanderson
Astra Model: 1.6T SRi 200 Nav
Astra Options: AGR seat, winter pack,parking sensors, spare wheel
Astra Colour: Power Red

Re: New astra update

Post by nsanderson » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:28 pm

Bogbody wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:15 pm

So the new improved camera that does pedestrian detection and braking for pedestrians does not have the traffic sign recognition ?

That seems a step backwards.
No, thats French Logic.
Well, it looks like it can do it - you just have to pay £275 for the privilege now for something that was included as standard on SRi models in Driver Assistance Pack 1!
1.6T (200) SRi Nav - Power Red, AGR seat, winter pack, parking sensors, spare wheel,

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:38 pm

nsanderson wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:28 pm
Bogbody wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:15 pm

So the new improved camera that does pedestrian detection and braking for pedestrians does not have the traffic sign recognition ?

That seems a step backwards.
No, thats French Logic.
Well, it looks like it can do it - you just have to pay £275 for the privilege now for something that was included as standard on SRi models in Driver Assistance Pack 1!
That is just SO like Vauxhall

It's like.....You have heated rear window and heated side mirrors, we will turn them on, when we detect that the temperature is low.

Oh and you have heated front seats, but those can not be turned on automatically together with the heated window and mirrors, nooo you have to buy winterpack 2 that has heated rear seats for that feature to work.

Someone from Australia confirmed that his Holden version of the Astra K, had the automatic heated seats even if he did not have heated rear seats.

So basically there is NO technical explanation for why you dont have that, other that "You have to buy that as a pack".

THIS is what happens when automakers are allowed to lock down their cars so no one but themselves can do feature programming..

I REALLY look forward to the day when/if the VCI coding scheme is hacked and someone releases a tool to do coding of various items without having to pay Vauxhall, if they are even allowed/able to do it at all.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Marc J
Astra Model: Astra K 1.6 Elite 200bhp
Astra Options: Intellilux
Astra Colour: Carbon Flash

Post by Marc J » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:42 pm

Does anyone know where I could get a black gloss grill for an Astra K 2016 model ? Thanks

Ausastra2
Astra Model: KB Hatch RS-V 1.6 turbo Petrol Auto
Astra Options: Touring Pack
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by Ausastra2 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:52 am

That grill looks remarkably like the Australian Holden Astra sedan they brought out here. Of course now that Holden are a force no more (thanks to the parent Co. GM USA) I won't get the opportunity to compare the other styling changes to the former. As a matter of fact, there is still no mention if the future Opel range will ever grace our shores again in any form. Such a shame I love a good Opel right back to the old 80's Gemini shape and style. Going to have to keep my 0617 going for as long as I can (should not be too much of an effort as I only have 6500Kms on it so far).

Steve
Astra Model: 1.4 150PS Enjoy (Danish spec), Hatch, 16.5
Astra Options: Factory: Tint, climate, LED tail, fogs, armrest
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by Steve » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:26 am

astraowner wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:38 pm
That is just SO like Vauxhall

It's like.....You have heated rear window and heated side mirrors, we will turn them on, when we detect that the temperature is low.

Oh and you have heated front seats, but those can not be turned on automatically together with the heated window and mirrors, nooo you have to buy winterpack 2 that has heated rear seats for that feature to work.

Someone from Australia confirmed that his Holden version of the Astra K, had the automatic heated seats even if he did not have heated rear seats.

So basically there is NO technical explanation for why you dont have that, other that "You have to buy that as a pack".

THIS is what happens when automakers are allowed to lock down their cars so no one but themselves can do feature programming..

I REALLY look forward to the day when/if the VCI coding scheme is hacked and someone releases a tool to do coding of various items without having to pay Vauxhall, if they are even allowed/able to do it at all.

It happens with other manufacturers too. It's common across the car industry, and a stupid practice. How about they just let us choose exactly what we want, or like Tesla does: basically include everything no matter what interior choices you make.

Just look at any configuration tool online for most major car brands, you get locked out of engine choices because of interior colours, and a lot of other such crap that makes no sense
ImageImage Astra K 1.4T 150 PS hatch, manual

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:28 pm

Steve wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:26 am
It happens with other manufacturers too. It's common across the car industry, and a stupid practice. How about they just let us choose exactly what we want, or like Tesla does: basically include everything no matter what interior choices you make.

Just look at any configuration tool online for most major car brands, you get locked out of engine choices because of interior colours, and a lot of other such crap that makes no sense
Yeah, i have seen that as well.

But here i am not even talking about stuff that actually require hardware.

An example is the "automatic heated seats" option. The option to make them automatic is 100% software. It is a simple matter of disabling that option in the settings menu so that it does not show up.

Also with the new 2020 astra. Traffic sign reading, this was standard on all cars fitted with the camera.

Now the sign reading is a seperate spec that will set you back £275 and this is PURELY software.

Another proof that a lot of this stuff is just software is the lockdown scheme they have employed. In yee olden days you could enable and disable the features if you had the carpass, that came with the car. This was not that big of a problem, because most features you could enable or disable was hardware dependent. You could not just change from aircon to climate control just by flipping some bits inside the ECU.

Now a lot of features are just software so now they have to protect these with individual codes for every car and every function to make it impossible for anyone but themselves to enable these.

Who would want to pay 275 for sign reading, if it was easy to enable yourself.

I bet this will get even worse in never cars, that are always online.

I saw an example where tesla sold a used tesla with the full self drive option enabled and advertised.

Someone bought the car and after some time tesla found out that this function had been enabled by mistake, no money had been paid for the FSD function, so what did tesla do....They just disabled the function remotely.

The guy complained and was told that they were sorry and that he would be able to get the function back....If he paid for it.

So in the future your car is under full control of the manufacturer that can do what they want, even after you paid for it.

They find out that there is a slight risk of the climate control catching firem, because of a problem, when the car is 10 years old....They can just disable it and refuse to enable it before you have the car fixed at your own expense.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.