My 2018, Carplay & Dual USB Mod

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: My 2018, Carplay & Dual USB Mod

Post by astraowner » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:23 am

My unit has arrived, which was quite a surprise as this was really fast delivery from China.

My unit looks in mint new condition, i can not see any indication that it has ever been fitted.

Now all i need is the piece of metal/plastic that sits around it (The car), as it is still in the shop to have the second stage of the recall done as the clutch disappeared the sunday before last.

As soon as i have the car back i will fit it and test, both that it works and do some measurements on power delivery capabilities.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Gunde

Post by Gunde » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:39 am

I also took delivery and was able to change the unit in about 15 minutes. Works perfectly. 2 ports with double the power of the old single one. Awesome mod.

Thanks to all of you who did trial and error before me :)
Astra K 1.6 CDTi. Mods: AGR driver's seat, SeatSkinz, heated rear seats and armrest, footwell and glovebox lights, light under boot floor, gear surround ambient light, backup camera, pedalbox, wood trim and black felt interior.

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:22 am

Fitted the new part and it is a great succes.

I now charge my phone at lightening speed compared to the old socket.

IMG_20190726_090803.jpg

Also, i tried connecting and disconnecting the phone a whole bunch of times and not once did the AA not connect and show the correct screen.

Am still going to get the firmware updated, as i want it to be able to remember the radio station RDS names and i would also like to have the radio and navigation volume control's seperated.

Edit : Removed the part where i said that i had not had any black screen on the AA after changing the socket....That problem is still there with the new socket as well sadly.

Never the less, i now charge at 1,5A ...

PS. I have seen others that had their phone charge at lower amps, but please remember that a phone only charges at full capacity up to about 80% and then it begins throttling the amps, as to not cook the battery, so maybe those tests have been carried out with phones with almost full batteries.

Took about 10-15 minutes, the most of that time was spent trying to get the Mini USB connector to release.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Gunde

Post by Gunde » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:59 am

Hey astraowner, good to hear of another succes :)
What's this firmware about you mention?
Astra K 1.6 CDTi. Mods: AGR driver's seat, SeatSkinz, heated rear seats and armrest, footwell and glovebox lights, light under boot floor, gear surround ambient light, backup camera, pedalbox, wood trim and black felt interior.

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:35 am

Gunde wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:59 am
Hey astraowner, good to hear of another succes :)
What's this firmware about you mention?

The Radio (R4.0 or Navi 900) like so many other things these days are essentially a processor, a screen and some software.

And where there is software, there is software bugs.

My 2016 Astra has the R4.0 Radio and it has 2015 software (Oldest software i have heard of).

This software has several problems, compared to newer, bugfixed versions.

Mainly i have 3 things i would like to chance.

1. Android Auto will most of the time just show a black screen when connecting to the radio, instead of AA, which makes it pretty useless as i usually do stops when i take longer trips, which is where i usually want navigation to guide me.

2. When tuning into a radio station, the RDS will read the radio name, and when you long press one of the memory buttons in the bottom of the screen it will store the radio channel there and display it's RDS name. But, when i leave the car and come back, most times it will not display the RDS name, but only the frequency. The later versions have this bug fixed.

3. The older 2015 software only has one volume slider. This means that this one slider controls ALL volumes. If i dont want to listen to the radio i can turn it down, but then my navigation volume will also be turned down. Later versions have the volume sliders split into 2, to be able to turn down the radio but still have the navigation voice volume up.

I had asked them to do this radio update while they were doing the stage 2 recall, repairs. This would have taken them very little extra time as most of the upgrade consists of the car just sitting there with a USB stick with the updated firmware on it, being loaded into the radio.

They only need to do the following :

1. Download the latest firmware from vauxhall servers onto a USB stick.
2. Insert stick and turn on ignition, and confirm that the radio has detected the firmware update and begins to update.
3. When the radio has upgraded the firmware, they need to connect their diagnostic computer and do a simple variant coding of the radio, because otherwise the screen will be upside down.

If they have the USB key with the latest firmware, they only need 5 minutes to get the car inside, and have the USB key inserted and then another 5-10 minutes to do the variant coding, including connecting the computer and putting it away afterwards.

They did the recall repair but forgot the radio sadly, and today they had no time to do it. So im off on a holiday tomorrow with AA, only working sometimes.

Ollie222
Astra Model: 1.6T 200 Elite Nav

Post by Ollie222 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:11 am

Apparently my socket arrived a couple of days ago which is pretty speedy.

I'll try and get it fitted at the start of next week.

Astraowner, can you try and plug two devices in at the same time and see if you get the same charging rate for both of them at the same time?

pantha007
Astra Model: 1.0T 2016 SRI
Astra Colour: Black

Post by pantha007 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:58 am

I have also ordered one will let you all know how it goes in my 2016 SRI :-) (when it arrives :-) )

Ollie222

Post by Ollie222 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:16 am

Although I ordered part 13509942 I actually received 23496501 which looks to be the same and worked exactly the same as others.

With the phone screen off Accubattery reports it's charging at 1.5A and Android auto works perfectly. With Google maps and Spotify running and the phone screen on it's still charging at over 1.1A.

I'll take that as a win and thanks to the OP for this thread and letting us know about the fix.

AntHunt

Post by AntHunt » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:55 am

I had a chance to look at a Grandland X over the weekend. Looks like the connector is the same on that. But really difficult to access as it's buried in the centre dash below the radio. So, if the ebay link dries up of stock it's worth adding that to the search term.

Ollie222

Post by Ollie222 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:01 pm

AntHunt wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:55 am
I had a chance to look at a Grandland X over the weekend. Looks like the connector is the same on that. But really difficult to access as it's buried in the centre dash below the radio. So, if the ebay link dries up of stock it's worth adding that to the search term.
As long as the cables are long enough (which they're generally not on the Astra) you can remove the module without taking anything apart using a small tool to press the clips either side in the small cutout on the sides of the lip.

I did it using a small 1.5mm allen key but as I said the wires aren't long enough on a Astra so you still have to take the back panel off.