Re: "Tapping noise"

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Vysey
Astra Model: Elite 1.6 CDTI 134 BHP
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: "Tapping noise"

Post by Vysey » Thu May 02, 2019 9:40 pm

Hey all,

I've been reading the forums for a while now and you seem like a very helpful lot!

I've noticed for several months now that there's what I can only describe as a "tapping/rattle" coming from the front driver (o/s) side of the car. The rattle doens't seem affected by engine revs, using the brakes or by what type of road surface is being driven on (bumpy, smooth etc..). My local Vauxhall dealer looked at it and said there was "slight play" in the drop-links so replaced them but this unfortunately hasn't gotten rid of the noise or reduced it at all. Might just be me but the noise appears to be getting worse/more noticeable now that the weather is warming up (which may be pure coincidence). I've tried driving down the road and turning the engine off to see if the noise was engine related but the noise was still there.

The engine sometimes sounds a bit rough on start-up too but may be unrelated (it's a 1.6 CDTI 136ps). Also on inspecting the engine compartment I noticed that the air box has quite a bit of movement on it so a possible cause?

I left the following list in the car when it went in last time to have this fixed and that's where they wrote about the drop-links, don't know if they checked them all though to be honest.
  • Engine mountings
  • Drop Links/Link Arm/Lower arm bushes
  • Wheel bearings
  • Suspension Bearings
  • Air intake box
  • Plastic strip above radiator
  • Anti-Roll bar bushes/link
  • Missing clip brake calliper
I've also found the following there on this forum but would this cause a tapping/rattling noise?
as an opel mechanic, we have seen these particular engines fail, the problem is with the chain tensioner, there is a plastic piece on it that tends to wear off, this way plastic bits fall down to the oil pump and gets stuck between the sprocket and the chain, causing to lose oil pressure , this is what causes the rattle, we have had 7 cars with this problem since december 2017, we had cases where the engine eventually locked up and needed to be replaced, but when diagnosed on time the whole distribution set and clutch gets replaced on warranty with updated parts, the clutch gets replaced too cus the distribution is on the side of the gearbox, making it the only way to access distribution is by removing the gearbox, it's a total repair time of about 15 hours?

Rattling noises seem trivial in comparison to major components failing but the car is only a year and a half old and this very noticeable rattling noise is getting quite irritating!

Thanks in advance for you help! :D

danx55
Astra Model: 1.4.t 150 sri nav
Astra Options: sport mode ;)
Astra Colour: power red..i think

Re: Re: "Tapping noise"

Post by danx55 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:16 am

hi,
i have similar on my sri - have been told here that it is the fuel injectors ... they are quite loud! :D ..... oddly previous elite 1.4t didnt have that noise :/
cheers

....just spotted the chain tensioner comment! ... bugger! ...better get it booked in :/

danx55

Post by danx55 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:18 am

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5538

...just found link to my previous post about my tapping noise :)

oh just thought ... my tapping noise is most obvious sitting at lights etc .... is a fast tapping sound i can hear

...so adding that to the odd rattle i get at low rpm .... might be time to stump up the £135 strip down cost to get it checked out :/

Vysey

Post by Vysey » Sat May 04, 2019 12:19 pm

Thanks for the reply!
The only time I can't hear the tapping/rattle noise is when the car is idling while stationary. I'm starting to think it's maybe suspension related or something loose that's rattling when the car is in motion.
It's booked in with VX for a full service towards the end of the month I'll see if they can take another look for my mysterious rattly noise, although they didn't find it the last 2 times :(

danx55

Post by danx55 » Tue May 07, 2019 9:38 am

good luck - keep us posted please .... yes they arent too good at finding things i find :/ :D

GRAHAMY09
Astra Model: Sports Tourer 1.6 cdti (136) elite
Astra Colour: Deep Sky Blue

Post by GRAHAMY09 » Mon May 13, 2019 6:19 pm

My car also has a rattle that sounds similar to yours. ive even had an engine mount replaced on the o/s which did stop the rattle for a while but the airbox mounts clip in there so it had settled that too, now the noise is back its definitely the airbox as there is a lot of movement . i got a old car sponge ( had nothing else at hand) rolled it up & pushed it in between the frame and the box as a temp fix now the noise has reduced by 90%. it will be getting booked in again as still under warranty

Vysey

Post by Vysey » Tue May 14, 2019 4:25 pm

GRAHAMY09 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:19 pm
My car also has a rattle that sounds similar to yours. ive even had an engine mount replaced on the o/s which did stop the rattle for a while but the airbox mounts clip in there so it had settled that too, now the noise is back its definitely the airbox as there is a lot of movement . i got a old car sponge ( had nothing else at hand) rolled it up & pushed it in between the frame and the box as a temp fix now the noise has reduced by 90%. it will be getting booked in again as still under warranty
Good idea! I'll take a look at that when I go out to the car later. There is a lot of movement in the airbox I'll mention that to the VX garage when it goes in for it's Stage 2 of the brake recall in June! Hopefully that will fix my rattle too (the sponge!)

GRAHAMY09

Post by GRAHAMY09 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:20 am

Give it a try. My quick fix below.

20190514_192412.jpg

GRAHAMY09

Post by GRAHAMY09 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:25 am

As you can see this mount looks to be the problem. 90% of the noise is now gone.

20190514_192430.jpg

Vysey

Post by Vysey » Thu May 16, 2019 5:36 pm

GRAHAMY09 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:25 am
As you can see this mount looks to be the problem. 90% of the noise is now gone.
Thanks for the update, completely forgot about this (busy at work!). Will give it a go when I go out to the car later, I really hope the fix is as easy as that. The mount does look a bit dodgy in all fairness! Vauxhall's and their rattles eh! My last Astra had one or two as well! :roll:

Return to “Main Astra K chat”