Paintwork impossible to maintain

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
NorthMelbourneRoo's

Paintwork impossible to maintain

Post by NorthMelbourneRoo's » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:55 pm

Bought a 65 Astra in August last year and the car is great, for being a 1.0T it's very punchy and was a pleasant surprise.

But boy am I having trouble with scratches and little chips from doors and stones. Like all of you I just want my car to look the best it can and it really bugs me. I feel like every month there's something appearing. I want to get them repaired but I don't see the point if the paint is just incredibly weak.

Is the paint just weak or am I just unlucky or what? Compared to the 2 other Vauxhall cars I've had this car is awful to try and keep looking good. Also what's a rough cost for getting them fixed?

Cheers

Scotty_b
Astra Model: 1.4T 150 Sri
Astra Options: Flux Capacitor
Astra Colour: Summit White

Re: Paintwork impossible to maintain

Post by Scotty_b » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:13 pm

It's not the best but no worse than any other Vauxhall I've owned.

I did see a black K with no paint on the bonnet edge at the front as it was sitting up about 2mm higher than the bumper panel. Guess that's the reason the bonnet sits slightly lower than the bumper from factory.
Astra K 1.4T 150 SRi, Summit white. De-Chromed with gloss black.

Paulch
Astra Model: SRi Nav 1.6T (200PS)
Astra Options: Parking pack, climate control, spare wheel, towbar
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by Paulch » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:26 pm

Scotty_b wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:13 pm
It's not the best but no worse than any other Vauxhall I've owned.

I did see a black K with no paint on the bonnet edge at the front as it was sitting up about 2mm higher than the bumper panel. Guess that's the reason the bonnet sits slightly lower than the bumper from factory.
Hi

It’s far worse than any Astra I’ve owned since 1996. The eight year old H I traded in had very few marks on it and like the OP I would like to have the paint work returned to a decent finish but don’t see the point.

Cheers

Paul
SRI Nav 1.6T (200). Parking pack, Climate control, spare wheel and towbar. Power Red.

Skyrimmer
Astra Model: SRI Nav 1.6T
Astra Options: 18in bi colour alloys, parking sensors, winter pac
Astra Colour: Lava red

Post by Skyrimmer » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:00 pm

I am getting quite good at touching up stone chips, but it's disheartening when you wash the car and keep finding them. I seem to remember being offered a refresh package when I bought the car whereby paint chips and alloy scuffs would be repaired up to 3 times while you had the car. Seemed expensive at the time but may have been worth it in the long run.
Astra SRI Nav, 1.6T lava red , winter pack, parking sensors,18in bi colour alloys, AGR seat, spare wheel, mudflaps.

NorthMelbourneRoo's

Post by NorthMelbourneRoo's » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:23 pm

I think the thing that gets me is that when I was in Australia I had an 03 Vectra and the paint work was in really good nick for being 14 years old at the time. No door dings on the side, only had stone chips on the bumper which I wasn't fussed about as I could pick a new one from the wreckers. Hell, I ran over a wombat and there was no marks or anything.

The Astra just seems to have no protection. It's a great car and I want to love it but the paintwork is so shoddy. I want to touch it up but living in flats makes it a bit hard

Tzrwesku

Post by Tzrwesku » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:17 pm

Yes, this is a problem with these ”water” paints and also with very thin paint thickness. The thickness of paint layer is much less than it was in history because of cost savings. My friend, which is a car painter, told that with same amount of paint, that car factory use, he can only paint 1/3 car!!! Old school solvent based paints were so much better against stones and scrathces and also paint thickness was ”better”. IMHO these ”green and enviromental friendly” water paints are rubbish (and also that cost savings). Nothing beats the old good solvent based acrylic or polyurethane paint...

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:42 pm

As above I think it's just to do with the water based paints now used on modern cars, not just Vauxhall. Also some colours are worse than others. Silver seems to be around one of the better colours for not showing dirt and marks.
I also use a colour based t cut, which helps with fine scratches and marks. For any bad chips I just use touch up paint.
I've not found the paintwork to be any less resilient than on my previous Astra J. Prior to that my previous Astra H seemed to have stringer paint than either my J or K's.
You'd think more cars on the road= stronger paintwork, wrong! Paint shops must make a packet out of it. I know I have one one fella I always use now.

Paulch
Astra Model: SRi Nav 1.6T (200PS)
Astra Options: Parking pack, climate control, spare wheel, towbar
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by Paulch » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:06 pm

Boroboy wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:42 pm
As above I think it's just to do with the water based paints now used on modern cars, not just Vauxhall.
Hi

However one of my work colleagues got a Golf at the same time I bought my Astra. He does more mileage than me and his car doesn’t have a single mark on it. Both cars are red.

Cheers

Paul
SRI Nav 1.6T (200). Parking pack, Climate control, spare wheel and towbar. Power Red.

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:01 am

Paulch wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:06 pm
Boroboy wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:42 pm
As above I think it's just to do with the water based paints now used on modern cars, not just Vauxhall.
Hi

However one of my work colleagues got a Golf at the same time I bought my Astra. He does more mileage than me and his car doesn’t have a single mark on it. Both cars are red.

Cheers

Paul
Interesting, maybe their paint is better too...... :lol:
I've never owned a VW or a car with VW parts as yet. Although as we know you tend to pay a premium for them.

Tzrwesku

Post by Tzrwesku » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:48 pm

I’m driving a Seat Leon st, metallic blue (still waiting my Astra to arrive). I just washed it and hood/front bumper looks like shot with shotgun! Have done 68tkm in 1,5 years.
Of course here in Finland they put sand on the road on winter time... so, car will be ”sandblasted” half a year. Just hope that Astras paint is at least as good (or bad) As Seats.

Return to “Main Astra K chat”