Tuning Box for 1.4T 150

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
letsgetrdy

Re: Tuning Box for 1.4T 150

Post by letsgetrdy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:46 pm

KevWak wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:08 am
Free of charge for the garage to install mate.

Just FYI

I’m seeing an average of 4-5mpg increase under normal day to day driving.
And on a long run (Wirral to Devon) fully loaded for holiday, I’m getting (between trip and miles to empty tank) 590 miles.
I've had this installed for about two weeks now on my 150ps non s/s.

They installed it in around 45mins and showed how to "remove" ;) along with some provided goodies.

Performance wise, the car was only a month old to me anyway (4k miles), but I did and do feel a difference, even idle noise seems slightly up, but may me by imagination. Car definitely has more umpfh, most noticeably to me in 2/3/4th (because I use them most!). Spinning in 2nd and 3rd is now much easier than before, a result no doubt of the extra power.

In eco mode there does seem to be a good gain to be had, although I have only used this a couple of times, reverting to performance mode as soon as someone annoys me.

One thing I've used less now is the sports mode button, which I suppose is a testament to the extra power, as the car feels like a different beast now using sports mode combined with any TDI mode.

For general motorway overtaking in 5th and 6th you also feel the difference, you may find yourself not changing down gear at all whereas before you may of decided to.

I have the bluetooth simple to be able to change on the fly.

Overall very happy, able to surprise most cars out there with it's performance and lack of visible exhaust pipes, but get some really good mileage if in eco stage 1.

Being lighter than the 200ps but having semi comparable power is great, I can only imagine what fun them guys have tuning to 250 and the likes. Although beware the S/S 200 (and probably S/S 150) has the weaker gearbox and depending on your tune, may put it over its rated torque limit.

Company was great.

Recommended!

IMG_20190614_194400.jpg

IMG_20190614_194402.jpg

tuglet
Astra Model: 1.6T 200 Elite Nav
Astra Colour: Cosmic Grey

Post by tuglet » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:11 pm

Picked up my 68 plate 1.6T on Monday and thinking of getting one of these TDI Tuning boxes for it, but the comments about the weak gearbox have me a bit worried as I have S/S. Do later models have a better gearbox? My car was registered December 2018.
1.6T 200 Elite Nav. Cosmic Grey.

MOOGLEYS
Astra Model: 1.6T Elite Nav Sports Tourer
Astra Colour: Deep Sky Blue

Post by MOOGLEYS » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:54 pm

Pretty sure yours has an M32 box which has been around for a while but the internals have been improved with better bearings and lubrication. They used them on the VXR models so I imagine you would be fine with a bit of an upgrade.

tuglet

Post by tuglet » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:04 pm

MOOGLEYS wrote:Pretty sure yours has an M32 box which has been around for a while but the internals have been improved with better bearings and lubrication. They used them on the VXR models so I imagine you would be fine with a bit of an upgrade.
Nice one. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

letsgetrdy

Post by letsgetrdy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:15 pm

Just a heads up I've moved the tuning box to next to the window washer top up, it's cable tied vertically. I wasn't comfy with where it was as that tubing vibrates like hell with engine on, there's also some slightly indentations on that tubing now due to the heat and virations, so it's ever so slightly melted / worn down some of the ridged part of that tubing. Still works great and now can offset some of its heat to the little brace the washer top up lives next to.

tuglet

Post by tuglet » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:56 pm

letsgetrdy wrote:Just a heads up I've moved the tuning box to next to the window washer top up, it's cable tied vertically. I wasn't comfy with where it was as that tubing vibrates like hell with engine on, there's also some slightly indentations on that tubing now due to the heat and virations, so it's ever so slightly melted / worn down some of the ridged part of that tubing. Still works great and now can offset some of its heat to the little brace the washer top up lives next to.
Good to know, cheers.

tuglet

Post by tuglet » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:19 am

Question for the guys who have this installed. Are you confident installing/removing the tuning box yourself now, and how long does it take? I'm not at all handy and just a bit worried that if it took TDI 45 minutes to install them I wouldn't stand a chance.

Pompeydave
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t
Astra Colour: Silver

Post by Pompeydave » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:46 am

Hi tuglet
Don't worry ! Tuning boxes are easy to fit and unfit. The first time always takes a while finding the sensors etc but once you've fitted it you'll be confident taking off. Write down where the sensors are so you know when are where to refit it. You'll be taking the cables and box off in 5 minutes when an expert lol .ive fitted many dtuk ones over the years and have been good fun.
You will usually find the cables are colour coded as well so write down eg purple cable - boost sensor etc. You could even draw a sketch of the engine and number sensors 1-3 etc.

tuglet

Post by tuglet » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:43 pm

I've got a copy of the install instruction and getting access to the 2nd boost sensor on the inter-cooler outlet does look like bit of a ball ache like Kev said. On the plus side, been quoted an extra £35 a year on my insurance, which I thought was reasonable.

tuglet

Post by tuglet » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:12 pm

Don’t think I’m gonna bother. Looks like a right pain. Can’t even see the first sensor on the inlet manifold, and that’s meant to be the easy one lol

If it was a one time thing I might but I need to take it off for servicing every year as still under warranty.

Return to “Main Astra K chat”