Tyre wear

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Dimlaith

Tyre wear

Post by Dimlaith » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:15 pm

Around this time last year I had a new pair of Primacy 3s fitted to the front, car has just had its first mot and I have an advisory on both tyres. I guess I have driven 15000 miles since they were fitted. Should they have lasted longer as I’m not that impressed with how long they have lasted. Might go for a mid range tyre next time.

Crosseyxpower
Astra Model: Sri nav
Astra Colour: Red

Re: Tyre wear

Post by Crosseyxpower » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:32 pm

Same with mine they lasted 10k miles. Michelins or any other expensive tyre are false economy. I paid £38 for my current ones and I've had 7k miles out of them with 5mm left of tread. I do believe expensive tyres are good for the first month then they degrade really quickly and end up being the same quality as cheaper one's. If you ever see tyre reviews they are based on being brand new not a few months old with a few thousand miles put on them.

Dimlaith

Post by Dimlaith » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:41 pm

I’m quite shocked by how quick they have worn. Had mid range tyres before and they definitely lasted a lot longer.

1900sr
Astra Model: 2015 SRi 1.0
Astra Options: None
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by 1900sr » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:05 pm

My car is on it's original Bridgestones on the front. After 35000 miles they're down to about 3mm.
1.0i Turbo SRi, Power Red, just over 3 years old and slowly ironing the bugs out.

loonybin
Astra Model: sri 1.6 cdti
Astra Options: intellilux headlights & parking pack
Astra Colour: flip chip silver

Post by loonybin » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:02 pm

still got the bridgestones but don`t like them and can`t wait to change them , fancy michelin cross climates.

1900sr
Astra Model: 2015 SRi 1.0
Astra Options: None
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by 1900sr » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:34 pm

loonybin wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:02 pm
still got the bridgestones but don`t like them and can`t wait to change them , fancy michelin cross climates.
They are noisy, but apart from that I can't fault them. Both rears on my car have been changed due to punctures, both are mid range but I didn't have a lot of choice as they were both emergency purchases due to not having a spare.
1.0i Turbo SRi, Power Red, just over 3 years old and slowly ironing the bugs out.

Danny91

Post by Danny91 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:15 am

Crosseyxpower wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:32 pm
Same with mine they lasted 10k miles. Michelins or any other expensive tyre are false economy. I paid £38 for my current ones and I've had 7k miles out of them with 5mm left of tread. I do believe expensive tyres are good for the first month then they degrade really quickly and end up being the same quality as cheaper one's. If you ever see tyre reviews they are based on being brand new not a few months old with a few thousand miles put on them.
In what way are premium tyres a false economy? yeah your cheap ditch finders might not wear as quick, but thats just because they are a hard compound. Dont just judge a tyre on its wear rates :lol: :lol:

Crosseyxpower
Astra Model: Sri nav
Astra Colour: Red

Post by Crosseyxpower » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:53 am

Danny91 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:15 am
Crosseyxpower wrote:
In what way are premium tyres a false economy? yeah your cheap ditch finders might not wear as quick, but thats just because they are a hard compound. Dont just judge a tyre on its wear rates :lol: :lol:
In what i said above retard! We are simply commuting to work not racing on a race track so what's the point in paying £100 + each for a tyre?

Astra Model: 1.0T Ecotec SRI Nav
Astra Colour: Lava Red

Post by 23768094 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:14 am

Crosseyxpower wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:53 am
Danny91 wrote:
Crosseyxpower wrote:
In what i said above retard! We are simply commuting to work not racing on a race track so what's the point in paying £100 + each for a tyre?
Having had a crash in the wet due to cheap tyres giving no grip whatsoever in an emergency braking situation I now only fit premium brands with 'A ' rating for wet grip. They don't last as long but I might last a bit longer with them than without them..

Danny91

Post by Danny91 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:27 am

Crosseyxpower wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:53 am
Danny91 wrote:
Crosseyxpower wrote:
what you said above was complete and utter nonsense. "I do believe expensive tyres are good for the first month then they degrade really quickly and end up being the same quality as cheaper one's." I mean come on. Who's the retard really?

"so what's the point in paying £100 + each for a tyre?" The very simple answer of the massive amount of extra R&D and testing of premium tyres as opposed to budgets. Why bother scrimping and saving by buying cheap shite, when the tyres are the only part of the car in contact with the road?

Go look at some tests between budgets and premium. especially the wet braking and handling tests, they're shocking!!

Return to “Main Astra K chat”