Filling Up

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Shaky
Astra Model: 1.4T Elite Nav Sports Tourer
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Filling Up

Post by Shaky » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:34 pm

Eyup peeps.

I filled the car up first time today as it was in the red. Got 40 litres in when the pump stopped. Gave it another go and it stopped basically straightaway so thought, OK that's full.

On driving away, I noticed the gauge wasn't completely on full. When I got home after only a 15 mile A-Road drive I decided to top it up. I managed to get another gallon (4.55 litres) in it, albeit with at least ten auto-stops on the pump, still with no overflow from the filler neck at all and the gauge finally went to full.

Are they a bit of a pig to get the last gallon in ? I don't want to start trying too hard and then have fuel pissing out all over the place as I drive away.

TIA
I am Homer of Borg. Resistance is..............Hmmmm Doughnuts.
1.4T Sports Tourer, AGR Seats, Keyless Ignition, Power Tailgate, Parking Sensors. Detachable Towbar, Corsa E Headlight Switch.

george

Re: Filling Up

Post by george » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:12 pm

I've got a 136 diesel, I always put in as much as possible. I get max 55 liters in the tank which gets me around c.700 miles, the first click is at around 48 liters from empty - in my experience the last few liters always take a lot longer to get in. I think it depends on the pump sometimes.

astramaster

Post by astramaster » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:17 pm

george wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:12 pm
I get max 55 liters in the tank
According to the owner's manual, fuel tank capacity is 48 liters.

george

Post by george » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:21 pm

That is correct, however filling to the brim will allow 55.

Shaky

Post by Shaky » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:25 pm

Cheers guys, just wondered if it was me or not !
1.4T Sports Tourer, AGR Seats, Keyless Ignition, Power Tailgate, Parking Sensors. Detachable Towbar, Corsa E Headlight Switch.

1900sr
Astra Model: 2015 SRi 1.0
Astra Options: None
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by 1900sr » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:21 pm

I have a theory on this. I think the tank is quite a bit bigger than 48 litres, but due to the design you can only get 48 litres in with normal filling. Unfortunately the cars software still thinks the car has a bigger capacity so the fuel gauge (and Onstar if you have it) works on the basis of a 52 litre tank, certainly that's how the figures seemed to work with mine when I got it.
1.0i Turbo SRi, Power Red, just over 3 years old and slowly ironing the bugs out.

KwalazNash

Post by KwalazNash » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:10 pm

Shaky wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:25 pm
Cheers guys, just wondered if it was me or not !
I noticed the same thing with my car the other day too fill up and yet it wasn't filled up at all I did a add 5 more litres and all was good

Shaky

Post by Shaky » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:18 pm

TBH I ain't that bothered other than it makes it harder to get accurate mpg figures as you'll always be wondering if the pump stopped at the same level as the last fill. I hate having OCD - lol

1900sr
Astra Model: 2015 SRi 1.0
Astra Options: None
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by 1900sr » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:54 pm

My owners handbook states "After automatic cut-off, it can be topped up with max. two doses of fuel", so that says to me that you can fill to third click off. It still won't read full though. Mine does now, but I've no idea exactly what they did to it, I know it had a new fuel tank at VX Luton, but I don't know if that was what cured it, or whether it was a software update.
1.0i Turbo SRi, Power Red, just over 3 years old and slowly ironing the bugs out.

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Post by Redman » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:03 am

Shaky wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:18 pm
TBH I ain't that bothered other than it makes it harder to get accurate mpg figures as you'll always be wondering if the pump stopped at the same level as the last fill. I hate having OCD - lol
If you use the exact same pump next time you fill up I would assume the first cut off point will be roughly the same as the previous fill. The pressure sensors are pretty accurate.

Return to “Main Astra K chat”