All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Pompeydave
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t
Astra Colour: Silver

Re: New recall

Post by Pompeydave » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:53 pm

LADmachining wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:39 pm
My car went in for its check today, and it has failed. So, a hire car is being provided by Vx. I have also been told the excess is £500, and if I want to reduce this then I have to pay a premium of £9 per day! Oh, and the £70 fuel deposit.

Questioned the dealer on what parts are being ordered, apparently it is the brake master cylinder, clutch pipe, ABS hydraulic unit and clutch slave cylinder.

Hopefully the parts will arrive sooner than expected!
Wow that's quite a list of parts being replaced , I reckon vx parts depts have been caught out by this recall - it seems huge. About 6 years ago you did a trip computer activation on a zafira for me , superb by the way so assume you are using Southampton dealers ? I have a couple of work colleagues living around Southampton area and there cars are also in but no idea when they wil be finished ! Glad I drive a seat Leon at the moment lol , I was thinking of changing to a k but things like this really do put me off.

Dave

Matt9817
Astra Model: SRi
Astra Options: Parking Pack
Astra Colour: Carbon Flash

Post by Matt9817 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:02 am

Folks my clutch fell flat to the floor tonight and stuck there - had to be pulled up to get it in gear. Now I know this is a well characterised fault - will it be addressed in this recall since the brake and clutch share systems?

Matt

Corbil
Astra Model: 1.6 Cdti Innovation 136bhp
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by Corbil » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:34 am

Start to think that this recall is common since the brakes and clutch shares the same cylinder.
At the letter I received there is a number for this recall --> E181803130....I think this a unique number for the problem......but somewhere here I red that there is another 2nd recall for brakes and the faulty installation of solenoids.

Pompeydave
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t
Astra Colour: Silver

Post by Pompeydave » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:41 am

Matt9817 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:02 am
Folks my clutch fell flat to the floor tonight and stuck there - had to be pulled up to get it in gear. Now I know this is a well characterised fault - will it be addressed in this recall since the brake and clutch share systems?

Matt
Matt this is serious stuff , clutch sticking at the floor , glad you are ok and not doing 70mph on the motorway with an Audi or bmw 6 inches from your backside. I suppose a stuck throttle pedal is worse when driving but this shouldn't be happening on 1,2,3 yr old Astras . I've heard of recalls over the years for simple fixes / precautions but to replace cylinders , pipes and more ...incredible.

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:00 am

Corbil wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:34 am
Start to think that this recall is common since the brakes and clutch shares the same cylinder.
At the letter I received there is a number for this recall --> E181803130....I think this a unique number for the problem......but somewhere here I red that there is another 2nd recall for brakes and the faulty installation of solenoids.
That is the number for the recall

Inside that recall is the procedures, both for stage 1 and 2.

It says...Do step 1, if it fails, replace parts immideately, if step 1 passes, change the fluid and get the parts and then do the recall and replacement of all the parts.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Matt9817
Astra Model: SRi
Astra Options: Parking Pack
Astra Colour: Carbon Flash

Post by Matt9817 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:45 pm

Pompeydave wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:41 am
Matt9817 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:02 am

Matt
Matt this is serious stuff , clutch sticking at the floor , glad you are ok and not doing 70mph on the motorway with an Audi or bmw 6 inches from your backside. I suppose a stuck throttle pedal is worse when driving but this shouldn't be happening on 1,2,3 yr old Astras . I've heard of recalls over the years for simple fixes / precautions but to replace cylinders , pipes and more ...incredible.
I know, it's a joke. Booked in for the stage 1 recall on Wednesday and will give them bloody hell about it. Love the car otherwise which is why it pisses me off more!

Hoping it gets sorted sooner rather than later

Matt

Lin66

Post by Lin66 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:04 pm

As an update, my dealership still does not know when they will get parts, but at for the car hire, Vauxhall have confirmed the £500 is the contract excess between them and the hire company and they would cover any eventuality, meaning you do not need to pay any excess or additional insurance premium. As it should be.

Sanitizer
Astra Model: Astra K 136 Elite SS
Astra Options: Blackvue F&R Dash Cams, DPF Light, Mud Flaps.
Astra Colour: Astroid Grey

Post by Sanitizer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:44 pm

The reason it mainly affects diesels is because the vaccum pump keeps delivering assistance to the brakes meaning you can get the pedal lower causing the seals to get damaged. They deform beyond there designed intention causing a loss of power or efficiency. This could be the brakes or the clutch. In a petrol vehicle there is vaccum from the inlet manifold. This with application decreases and you have to re press the pedal. In a diesel the vaccum is constantly there as it has a pump. The pedal decreases and pushes the seals beyond there designed scope. Thats all this is. Yes all parts will need to be replaced but its not the end of the world. If you take your foot off the brake and re apply it will work unless your seals are damaged. In this case you will require immediate new parts. Same goes for the clutch. If there are any one of the symptoms VX will replace everything as one tiny piece of worn out seal or debris will or can make a seal go. Its just when. Guy's dont be concerned. VX will sort it out.
If you want to do a test its easy. Turn off the car. Pump the brake pedal several times. Now push the brake pedal as hard as you can for five minutes. If it went to the floor, Dont drive it. If it didnt move your ok. Now do the same. only with the engine running. If the pedal sinks and your half way to the floor with your foot its how diesels are. If the pedal goes straight too the floor of has very little resistance then your seals are damaged. Diesels have a vaccum pump and these constantly pump. It will give you constant assistance. In this circumstance there is either too much assistance or the parts can't the stress. If you look at the parts the petrols get the same parts brake wise, Clutch parts are different. Petrols can't get the same assistance diesels have. If a petrol Astra k had a little air in the brake lines or had been incorrectly bled then there is potential for the brake pedal to move beyond these limits and push the brake master cyllinder to do its seals. This could happen but it wont be a recall as that would be neglect or inpropper maintanance. My astra has same recall but is fine. I service it myself and have no problems. In on 09/01/2019.
Hope this helps you guys.
Paul W...

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Post by Redman » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:07 pm

The petrol turbo models all have vacuum pumps to assist the braking servo. On my 1.4T it is driven off the camshaft, so vac is there all the time too. Where are the diesel pumps driven from or is the vac pump larger?
Interesting read
Last edited by Redman on Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sanitizer
Astra Model: Astra K 136 Elite SS
Astra Options: Blackvue F&R Dash Cams, DPF Light, Mud Flaps.
Astra Colour: Astroid Grey

Post by Sanitizer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:13 pm

Not sure on size or power of vac pump but its off camshaft.
Paul W...

Return to “Main Astra K chat”