New recall

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
cleonard66h

Re: New recall

Post by cleonard66h » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:08 pm

Update. Just had a call back from VX customer care, they have contacted Europcar Head Office and requested a change be made. I've been told to expect a call back to exchange before end of today.

Pompeydave
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t
Astra Colour: Silver

Post by Pompeydave » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:48 pm

cleonard66h wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:44 pm
My Astra K failed the checks also. Received a pink fiat 500 as a hire car from Europcar. Phoned them since Saturday, keep getting promised an exchange yet apparently don't have any stock to swap with. VX customer services said its out of there hands.

Any Advice.
Crikey obvious answer would be put a paper bag over your head when driving , but in all seriousness they are taking the Micky .
Sounds like europcar are getting fed up , know about the recall and giving customers anything that no one else wants.
Can we stoop any lower than a pink car ? Ok for the female Astra owners I expect , my daughter would probably pick it first !

cleonard66h

Post by cleonard66h » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:07 pm

Yeah I feel the same. It’s like Europcar can’t take the demand or have given up on providing a good service so just handing out cars that are left sat a while.

The worst though is the lack of promise. On 3 occasions I’ve been told to come along to the local branch, to turn up and be told there is nothing there as all cars are out on hire. Surely they must keep a few cars back in case of an emergency, or breakdown.

Really bad customer organisation.

Icy
Astra Model: Astra K Innovation
Astra Options: Intellilux LED
Astra Colour: Cosmic grey

Post by Icy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:01 am

Called yesterday service and asked about recall.
They told me that is not "safety" recall and that I have time for this until next service in December this year.
Didn't know what to say.
Anyway booked car for service, recall 25 January and told them that I will not wait "one" year to check brakes.
Are they serious?
Not safety recall??? Brakes?
Should I contact Opel directly and ask them?

Pompeydave
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t
Astra Colour: Silver

Post by Pompeydave » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:24 am

Absolutely ridiculous icy , get it in immediately. The dealer obviously isn't concerned about your safety , I know my local dealers have been swamped by this recall but they are fitting my colleagues in . As said in other posts it's the courtesy cars they are struggling with , europcar sure are getting fed up and offering any old thing they get in.
If this dealer isn't prepared to get you in go elsewhere .

Icy

Post by Icy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:44 pm

Today they called me back and said that there was no recall for my car. However, in the MyOpel application, it was recall since mid december for my astra. Yesterday there was still recall.
Today nothing. What is going on? I am confused right now.
Its Opel Astra diesel, manual 100kW, March 2017. They removed recall?

I am not even sure if it was for brakes... No code in notification. Just that is recall.

Icy

Post by Icy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:46 pm

Recall is back in app.
What is going on with Opel...?

11thastra

Post by 11thastra » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:50 am

Sanitizer wrote:The reason it mainly affects diesels is because the vaccum pump keeps delivering assistance to the brakes meaning you can get the pedal lower causing the seals to get damaged. They deform beyond there designed intention causing a loss of power or efficiency. This could be the brakes or the clutch. In a petrol vehicle there is vaccum from the inlet manifold. This with application decreases and you have to re press the pedal. In a diesel the vaccum is constantly there as it has a pump. The pedal decreases and pushes the seals beyond there designed scope. Thats all this is. Yes all parts will need to be replaced but its not the end of the world. If you take your foot off the brake and re apply it will work unless your seals are damaged. In this case you will require immediate new parts. Same goes for the clutch. If there are any one of the symptoms VX will replace everything as one tiny piece of worn out seal or debris will or can make a seal go. Its just when. Guy's dont be concerned. VX will sort it out.
If you want to do a test its easy. Turn off the car. Pump the brake pedal several times. Now push the brake pedal as hard as you can for five minutes. If it went to the floor, Dont drive it. If it didnt move your ok. Now do the same. only with the engine running. If the pedal sinks and your half way to the floor with your foot its how diesels are. If the pedal goes straight too the floor of has very little resistance then your seals are damaged. Diesels have a vaccum pump and these constantly pump. It will give you constant assistance. In this circumstance there is either too much assistance or the parts can't the stress. If you look at the parts the petrols get the same parts brake wise, Clutch parts are different. Petrols can't get the same assistance diesels have. If a petrol Astra k had a little air in the brake lines or had been incorrectly bled then there is potential for the brake pedal to move beyond these limits and push the brake master cyllinder to do its seals. This could happen but it wont be a recall as that would be neglect or inpropper maintanance. My astra has same recall but is fine. I service it myself and have no problems. In on 09/01/2019.
Hope this helps you guys.
Vauxhall are replacing all parts identified in the recall regardless if they have failed or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11thastra

Post by 11thastra » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:55 am

astraowner wrote:
Matt9817 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:02 pm
Had mine in to Donnelly & Taggart in Northern Ireland here yesterday. First test was done/flush completed and I was told that the car was fine. Was told the clutch and master cylinders were both checked and the system bled.
Car seems to be ok.

Don't like the sound of "if it passes step one then it doesnt need step two"

Matt
As far as i understand the TSB says that if the costumer asks for it, to give you a "your car is safe to drive" note.

If they give you that and tell you that step 2 is not needed, then you can call vauxhall to inquire if this is true.
Our Astra “passed” and we were indeed given a letter.
I then advised of the message I had from Vauxhall’s customer service on this group.
I also explained the clutch pedal has stuck down twice.
A check was made and all parts will be replaced when they get them as determined by the recall bulletin.

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:26 pm

11thastra wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:55 am
Our Astra “passed” and we were indeed given a letter.
I then advised of the message I had from Vauxhall’s customer service on this group.
I also explained the clutch pedal has stuck down twice.
A check was made and all parts will be replaced when they get them as determined by the recall bulletin.

So did they acknowledge the changing of all the parts because of your experience with the pedal, or because they found out that the repairs should be done no matter what ?

If it is true that there is a weak seal, then it would make sense to do this to ALL cars as, even if the seal has not failed yet, there is a potential for it to fail later, possibly resulting in damage og death ?
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Return to “Main Astra K chat”