My brakes failed too!

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
NIGHTCD
Astra Model: Astra K Premium
Astra Options: all except sunroof
Astra Colour: Carbon Flash

Re: My brakes failed too!

Post by NIGHTCD » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:15 am

Have the brakepads been off the car when Vauxhall had your car in for checking?

On my car i had to sand down the brakepad (shimmer off the top layer) due to dirt and grime in the brakepads. )

I have had similar problems with the brakes not working as good as they should.

When the car was new there was not fully braking capacy on the brakes (felt like there was lubricant on the brakes (the dealer states that there was no fault with the car even if they did not test it)

Turn out that the brakes on the Astra K is quickly clogging up with brakedust and dirt (i clean my brakes a least two times a year) the rear brakes are the worst.

Waiting for my car to be called in for check, but reckon they will tell me that all is fine (as they always do)

I have never had a car with such poor prakes in my life, if you have to brake hard i beleve that many people have been scared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Astra Premium Nav - 1.4 turbo 150HK - Carbon Flash - Automatic

JANEIAN

Post by JANEIAN » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:03 am

I have no idea. I'm no mechanic. All I know is my brakes don't work properly and that is not acceptable. Having to clean them yourself twice a year is also not acceptable imo. My car is still with them being looked at in the Luton centre for excellence

PACMANIA

Post by PACMANIA » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:10 pm

So what been the latest with the brake to much dust in the discs etc need to be clean twice a year. Surely don't the wheels come off during servicing to check for wear and tears cuts in the tyres calipers need replacing. Etc. O yeah those days have gone

Crunchynut
Astra Model: Elite 1.6 diesel 136

Post by Crunchynut » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:20 pm

I don't quite get the idea of dust affecting disc brakes. Dums - yes - since the dust has nowehere to go, but discs - huh?
Elite 1.6 CDTi 136ps Hatch

NIGHTCD
Astra Model: Astra K Premium
Astra Options: all except sunroof
Astra Colour: Carbon Flash

Post by NIGHTCD » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:39 am

Crunchynut wrote:I don't quite get the idea of dust affecting disc brakes. Dums - yes - since the dust has nowehere to go, but discs - huh?
The brakepads is releasing a fair of amount brakedust that is attached to the brakepad lubrication, and together with dirt and grime they are making a barrier that makes the brakepad stuck is they are not cleaned on a regular basis.
2016 Astra Premium Nav - 1.4 turbo 150HK - Carbon Flash - Automatic

Crunchynut
Astra Model: Elite 1.6 diesel 136

Post by Crunchynut » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:53 pm

I get that the calliper may get stiff and the pads may stuck in their guides leading to binding brakes. But unless the pads get glazed as a consequence then dust isn’t affecting braking performance.

Maybe glazing is the issue.

Just trying to understand ......
Elite 1.6 CDTi 136ps Hatch

PACMANIA

Post by PACMANIA » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:41 pm

Normally when the British rail is buggered. It's down to the wrong type of leaves on the track. Same old same old. And now brakes i hear let me guess . It's the wrong type of dirt or dust that causing mayhem :x plus you have to clean them twice a year. Never heard of such nonsense in my life. Who knows this maybe the norm

PACMANIA

Post by PACMANIA » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:42 pm

Normally when the British rail is buggered. It's down to the wrong type of leaves on the track. Same old same old. And now brakes i hear let me guess . It's the wrong type of dirt or dust that causing mayhem :x plus you have to clean them twice a year. Never heard of such nonsense in my life. Who knows this maybe the norm

Bittern

Post by Bittern » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:25 pm

Can you confirm this problem is linked to the clutch pedal sticking to the floor? as this is what happened in my wife's astra k ! This was resolved after modified parts were fitted by our local dealer but then shortly after we then had brake problems which really scared her a number of times.
My wife and i lost all confidence in the car and have since got rid of, i myself have still got my astra k which has just been in for the first check/brake fluid change and is now waiting for the second part. I wrote to V.C.C. stating this should be a nationwide recall 6 months ago and was ignored.
I have now decided as soon as im in a position to get rid of the car i will and my years as a Vauxhall owner will be over for GOOD

Finston Pickle
Astra Model: 1.6 Petrol Turbo SRI Nav Sports tourer
Astra Options: AGR seats;Wntr Pk;Sp Whl;S/Rf;Tints;CD plyr;P/Sens
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Post by Finston Pickle » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:20 pm

I saw this note on Honest John's agony column:

"Brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs moisture from the atmosphere) and needs to be changed every 2 years or corrosion will occur inside the ABS module."

On the Astra "K", where the brake and clutch fluid is common, surely the change of brake fluid after two years should be part of the Vx service rather than the extra charge that I paid on my car's 2 year service.

Perhaps most people are only looking for 2/3 year's life out of the car before changing the car and Vx have responded to give them what they want - and not a car that, properly serviced, will last ten or fifteen years.
1.6 SIDI Petrol Turbo SRI Nav
AGR seats; Winter Pack; Spare Wheel; Sun Roof; Tinted Rear Windows; CD player; Parking Sensors

Return to “Main Astra K chat”