My brakes failed too!

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
NickBeecham

My brakes failed too!

Post by NickBeecham » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:56 pm

I have an Astra K Ultimate bought brand new less than 4 months ago. This evening, as I approached a roundabout at about 40mph, I pressed the brake pedal and it just went to the floor not engaging the brakes. I was able to avoid a crash only by using the handbrake. After that the brakes resumed working normally.

Maybe all this technology has become too clever for its own good. My old SAAB which I owned for 23 years never did anything like that.

I'll be onto the dealer tomorrow but I'm fearful of just being told (like the owner in the other thread) that no fault has been found.

This sounds like general recall territory. I'll post again with what happens after the dealer has looked into it.

Ace123
Astra Model: Sri
Astra Options: Advance park assist, 18" alloys
Astra Colour: Granite grey

Re: My brakes failed too!

Post by Ace123 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:21 am

It’s a hydraulic system. I can’t see any way the situation you describe is possible. If you lost all the brake fluid then yes, but it wouldn’t magically start working again. If the servo failed the pedal would be rock hard but you could muscle it to a stop as the fluid would still be present. If you ripped a brake line from an impact it still wouldn’t suddenly right itself. If in 4 months it’s never happened then this sounds very strange.

Not being funny, are you sure it was the brake pedal you depressed? Could it have been the clutch? :?:

NickBeecham

Post by NickBeecham » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:38 am

Well that did occur to me too. But my right foot would have had to make a huge twist to reach it (I tried afterwards) and I'm sure that can't have been it. I have no technical knowledge, but I was wondering whether the fact that the brakes can be activated by the electronics in certain situations (such as in forward collision detect) that the possibility exists of the electronics intermittently failing preventing the brake from working (in the same way as there was once concern about the electronic fly by wire systems used in aircraft).

Scotty_b
Astra Model: 1.4T 150 Sri
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by Scotty_b » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:15 am

This happened to me years ago in a Seat Ibiza. Pressed the pedal and got nothing, then got everything and lock up.
Needed the master cylinder replaced and new underwear for me.
Astra K 1.4T 150 SRi, Summit white. De-Chromed with gloss black.

NickBeecham

Post by NickBeecham » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:42 am

Many thanks for your replies. In that case I will ask the dealer to pay particular attention to the master cylinder.

MrSM82
Astra Model: 1.4T 150 SRi Nav (Auto)
Astra Colour: Cosmic Grey

Post by MrSM82 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:58 pm

May be worth reporting to Vauxhall customer services. If others do it too it may well be a recall issue.

My brakes are pretty rubbish anyway, don't know if I'd be able to tell the difference if they failed.

Vxmike

Post by Vxmike » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:06 pm

Ace123 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:21 am
It’s a hydraulic system. I can’t see any way the situation you describe is possible. If you lost all the brake fluid then yes, but it wouldn’t magically start working again. If the servo failed the pedal would be rock hard but you could muscle it to a stop as the fluid would still be present. If you ripped a brake line from an impact it still wouldn’t suddenly right itself. If in 4 months it’s never happened then this sounds very strange.

Not being funny, are you sure it was the brake pedal you depressed? Could it have been the clutch? :?:
A master cylinder fault most certainly can do this, including magically starting working again.

Agree with others, report to VX immediately

Finston Pickle
Astra Model: 1.6 Petrol Turbo SRI Nav Sports tourer
Astra Options: AGR seats;Wntr Pk;Sp Whl;S/Rf;Tints;CD plyr;P/Sens
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Post by Finston Pickle » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:26 pm

I had a similar incident many years ago when he engine stalled, whist in the braking manouvre - braking reduced by about 90 % in spite of huge amounts of pressure on the brake pedal (which did go very low indeed).
1.6 SIDI Petrol Turbo SRI Nav
AGR seats; Winter Pack; Spare Wheel; Sun Roof; Tinted Rear Windows; CD player; Parking Sensors

JANEIAN

Re: My brakes failed too! *** AND MINE DID ***

Post by JANEIAN » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:21 am

Seems Vauxhall have a major problem on their hands with this one. We have an astra k 1600, we took it back to the dealership about 6 weeks ago because the breaks kept going wrong, intermittently, spongey and had to be pumped twice to work. They checked it over and said there were no issues, even had the cheek to ask me if I was sure it wasn't the clutch!!! Anyway, it happened again a couple of weeks later so we took it back. They sent it to Vauxhalls tech team, they came back with the same, can't find an issue but replaced the pistons anyway hoping that would resolve the matter. Fast forward a couple of weeks and there i am approaching a round about t 40mph and the brakes completely failed!!!!! Luckily there was no traffic on the road as i had no option but to carry on. Had there been cars in front or anything on the round about it could have been fatal. I have took the car back to the dealership again and they have sent it off to vauxhall and provided me with a hire car until they can find an issue. I have reported the issues on this forum to them and advised them to investigate and recall this model. If a recall is not actioned I am going to take this to the press. Who's with me??
Also, has your issue been reported to Vauxhall customer services? They need more than one example of this problem in order to be able to investigate and possibly recall the vehicles?

OPVX Customer Care

Post by OPVX Customer Care » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:42 am

Good Morning,
For those on people on this thread that believe they have an issue on their brake system, I advise you to call customer care directly to have your vehicle booked into a dealership so we can investigate your concerns. I have placed all customer care phone numbers in my introduction thread.

I will start to reach out to the individuals noted in this "Brakes Failed" thread to advise you directly so our dealers can assist you. I will be asking you privately to give me your contact and vehicle details - once supplied I will have one of my SM Care team contact you directly to organise this.

Regards RR Your OV Team
Opel Vauxhall Social Media Customer Care Team

Helping where we can.
TOP 5 Customer Care Contact phone numbers:
  • United Kingdom - 0800 0260 034
    Germany - 0049 699 5307 551
    Spain - 0034 902250025
    France - 0033 821980006
    Italy - 0039 0275419845

Return to “Main Astra K chat”