Issues with re circulation / stuffy air

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
cjc1706

Issues with re circulation / stuffy air

Post by cjc1706 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:12 am

Hi,

I'm trying to work out if this is actually a fault of the car, or user error and if anyone else experiences a same thing with their Astra K.

I like to have a bit of fresh air flowing into the car at all times, so normally have the dual climate controls down to LO, the air directed towards the windscreen, the blower on 2/3 and the re circulation turned off so that it should be bringing in outside air.

A problem that I'm often getting is that my windscreen will start to mist up, and the smell of the air just smells stale and as if it's just recirculating the internal air even though this button isn't switched on. The only thing that seems to cure the mist is giving it a quick blast of AC, which does seem to give fresher air.

With regards to the stuffy smelling air whilst recirculation is turned off, I've noticed that if I turn the fans up to full so I can actually hear what's going on with the fans, press the re circulation button to on, nothing changes, but then if I press the recirculation button, I can hear an audible change in the tone of the fans, and then the air starts to feel and smell fresher.

It's as though the re circulation is stuck on (even though the button says it's off) quite often, unless I do this cycle.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Re: Issues with re circulation / stuffy air

Post by Redman » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:17 pm

Hi
You may be using the demist function which puts the fan on full and puts air con on. You need to use the windscreen button with the arrow on it perhaps.

cjc1706

Post by cjc1706 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:29 pm

Hi,

Yes that's the button I'm using (the windscreen button with the arrow on) to direct airflow to the windscreen. It just seems that the re-circulation feature doesn't work properly, and is in fact re-circulating internal air, when it's meant to be bringing in external.

drcl
Astra Model: 1.6, 110HP, Innovation
Astra Options: 17'' Alloy, Matrix, Navi
Astra Colour: Sovereign silver

Post by drcl » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:52 am

Well, yeah, recirculation button only uses the air inside, it is used when driving through some smoke or smelly area.... As far as I know..
1.6 CDTI 110HP Innovation trim, Intellilux, Navi, Sovereign silver, 17" wheels

Tankie96
Astra Model: ST Dynamic (SRI) 1.4t 150 ps. 2016
Astra Options: Power tailgate,AGR seats,winter pack,navi
Astra Colour: Coconuss braun

Post by Tankie96 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:26 pm

Is it worth changing cabin filter?

Flipper
Astra Model: 1.0T 12V SRi 2017
Astra Options: Spare wheel, parking sensors
Astra Colour: Lava Red

Post by Flipper » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:58 pm

Mine has a slight damp smell when running with the A/C turned off, and mists up a bit, particularly noticeable in the dark. I found that running for a few minutes with the temperature turned to hot with the fan to max and A/C seems to dry it all out, and stops the problem until the next time it gets wet with condensation.

11thastra

Post by 11thastra » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:01 pm

cjc1706 wrote:Hi,

I'm trying to work out if this is actually a fault of the car, or user error and if anyone else experiences a same thing with their Astra K.

I like to have a bit of fresh air flowing into the car at all times, so normally have the dual climate controls down to LO, the air directed towards the windscreen, the blower on 2/3 and the re circulation turned off so that it should be bringing in outside air.

A problem that I'm often getting is that my windscreen will start to mist up, and the smell of the air just smells stale and as if it's just recirculating the internal air even though this button isn't switched on. The only thing that seems to cure the mist is giving it a quick blast of AC, which does seem to give fresher air.

With regards to the stuffy smelling air whilst recirculation is turned off, I've noticed that if I turn the fans up to full so I can actually hear what's going on with the fans, press the re circulation button to on, nothing changes, but then if I press the recirculation button, I can hear an audible change in the tone of the fans, and then the air starts to feel and smell fresher.

It's as though the re circulation is stuck on (even though the button says it's off) quite often, unless I do this cycle.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?
Change the cabin filter and use some air con system cleaner such as holts. Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danh23
Astra Model: Sri cdti
Astra Colour: Metallic mineral black

Post by danh23 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:11 pm

I haven't even turned my AC off since having the car it's been on through winter and the hot weather we had I haven't had problems
1.6 CDTI Astra SRI metallic mineral black (110hp)

LunD^dk

Post by LunD^dk » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:04 pm

I would never turn my ac off. If you do anyways make sure you activate once in a while so the gaskets don't dry out.

Top Cat
Astra Model: SRi 150
Astra Colour: Red

Post by Top Cat » Wed May 01, 2019 1:05 pm

Yes, I also experience a stuffy smell.
I try to rely on unforced circulation (no fan) and notice that opening any window by as little as 1 cm results in a dramatic increase in the air flow into the cabin. This suggests that the cabin is effectively sealed though there do appear to be vents at the rear of the boot so I am not sure on what is going on.
Does anyone have any answers?

Return to “Main Astra K chat”