All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Pompeydave
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t
Astra Colour: Silver

Re: The END of ONSTAR

Post by Pompeydave » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:21 pm

Redman wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:12 pm
There will probably be a sentence in the small print stating.
"We reserve the right to change or modify the terms and conditions of the service provided"
Correct Redman , a simple statement that completely covers themselves.
As Rina said though some sort of compensation would be appreciated by owners but it will be tough.
VW springs to mind , just need 1000's of owners to push it publicly.

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Post by Redman » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:17 pm

I do agree compensation should be given to those affected. But apathy springs to mind

GenaFrog
Astra Model: Sports Tourer SRi NAV 1.4i Turbo (150) Automatic
Astra Options: Metallic paint, Parking distance sensors.
Astra Colour: Granite Grey

Post by GenaFrog » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:43 pm

I haven’t been on this site for ages and received no notification whatsoever about the loss of ONSTAR. However I went to use the app to send a destination to my nav and it was only then that I found out... that was last October 2019! I specifically chose the Astra due to having panic attacks and agoraphobia, it’s my peace of mind, although I have never had to use it except for when my battery dried up after 18 months and they sent the RAC who fitted a new 1 (thankfully the car belongs to Motability or I’d be really miffed ) I know that I can go out and be safe because of Onstar. It’s made for my gradual recovery as when out, if I feel a weird feeling, I just return to my car and I can relax then. I was all set to just send my Astra Sports Tourer SRi back after the three years and replace it like for like, although I was then disappointed that Granite Grey has been discontinued. But with the ONSTAR discontinued and the colour which I love gone also, I went from absolutely loving my car to feeling blah! Then going out just before xmas and moving gently back into the left lane of a dual carriageway after overtaking, the car decided to firm up the steering and give me a flick to the right which I hated! It’s the only time it’s ever done it to me and I went home hating the car and so got on the Internet having decided I was probably not having another Astra. Vauxhall must’ve known as the day after they started bugging me by phone as to what I was doing when the 3 year lease was up. I got them to send me all the stuff but I think my love for my car had gone. To see the advance payment was now £1299 I think, instead of £250 or whatever I paid in 2017 and with everything else, I had a look at the BMW Mini’s and do have gone for a 3door 2.0 litre Cooper S instead. I don’t think it has an equivalent of ONSTAR unless having the top JCW model and paying extra for the concierge service but I’m certain I will be ok. If it doesn’t put a smile on my face like the test drive did, then nothing will, so 2nd March, it’s bye bye Vauxhall. It’s a great shame they sold out to PSA, almost as soon as I got mine.
Someone will be very lucky whoever buys my car. They will get one of the very last REAL VAUXHALLs which due to my love for it, is beautifully maintained and regularly washed and Auto Glymmed. It has never been thrashed and it’s odometer is only on 14,199 since 1/3/2017.
So it’s a shame that PSA haven’t just changed the ONSTAR directly to their system. I’m sad for those who bought their cars. Originally I planned to buy mine if possible. I intended to contact Motability to see if IG was possible. Maybe it’s not but someone will love the car. It’s the 1.4 Sri auto... still I have a countdown running on my phone until it’s ‘mini day’
Gena

2017 Sports Tourer SRi NAV 1.4iT(150) Auto
in Granite Grey

AdieMcc
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4T 150
Astra Options: Reversing sensors
Astra Colour: Black

Post by AdieMcc » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:52 pm

Wish I could have a brand new car for free every 3 years... :roll:
Astra K 1.4T 150 Nav. Black,18" wheels, sensors front/back, heated seats/steering wheel, shark fin aerial, washed every 2 days :D

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Post by Redman » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:56 pm

It is a shame Gena, I liked onstar quite a lot.

I presume you have lane assist on your astra and the system was probably doing as it should when you were trying to move back into the left lane. I can only assume you did not indicate left, which lets the system know you are in control and it will allow the lane change without trying to resist it.

GenaFrog

Post by GenaFrog » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:45 pm

AdieMcc wrote:Wish I could have a brand new car for free every 3 years... :roll:

Are you referring to me with a Motability car?

If so, it’s a rather crass comment as I lease the car for a reason and it is NOT FREE!
The car cost me around £500 upfront (cannot remember exactly) and it costs me over £200 EVERY MONTH!

I don’t know where you get the idea from that it is free. Your comment has really pi$$ed me off! You’re obviously one of those people who feels those with disabilities have them just to get a supposedly ‘free car’!

Tell you what, I’ll do you a deal... straight swap, no whining afterwards...
YOU can have my car BUT ONLY if you take away my 24/7 pain, fill yourself with my opiate meds everyday. Sleep perhaps 2-3 hours a night but toss and turn due to the pain and then when you arise, find your joints have all stiffened up from trying to lie still, your brain foggy and tummy queasy due to the medication. You’ll not get any pleasure out of the ‘free car’ because you’ll be in so much pain bumping along, driving on this countries roads.
I really hope you’ll enjoy the pain, but just keep thinking about THAT car! And maybe think next time before you say anything so ill informed so you won’t look such a massive arsehole twice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gena

in Granite Grey

GenaFrog

Post by GenaFrog » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:49 pm

Redman wrote:It is a shame Gena, I liked onstar quite a lot.

I presume you have lane assist on your astra and the system was probably doing as it should when you were trying to move back into the left lane. I can only assume you did not indicate left, which lets the system know you are in control and it will allow the lane change without trying to resist it.
I believe I didn’t indicate because there was nobody close enough to indicate to. I pulled out to overtake whilst on the A17 and a few cars were near a junction exit ramp, I then stayed in the outer lane until I could see if anyone was joining the A17 from the slip road but there wasn’t anyone so I just very gradually slid back into my lane and had the fright of my life as it flicked me back out again. It’s never done it in all this time and so I thought I knew exactly how it drove. Then again it’s not even done 15,000 miles yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gena

in Granite Grey

AdieMcc

Post by AdieMcc » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:50 pm

1) get off the big pharma meds, they only do your body bad things!

2) start taking cbd products, much better than the doctors meds

3) acrophobia is a fear of going outside...but they give you a brand new car every 3 years to go OUTSIDE...

Don’t take it to heart, only telling the truth
Astra K 1.4T 150 Nav. Black,18" wheels, sensors front/back, heated seats/steering wheel, shark fin aerial, washed every 2 days :D

Pug50
Astra Model: Elite ST 1.4T Auto

Post by Pug50 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:18 pm

I've never seen much point to OnStar, but then I hate talking to strangers on the phone, let alone having a button specifically to endure a phone conversation with a call centre. But then I guess some people wouldn't be able to imagine finding that stressful. Almost as if some people lack empathy.

❤️ to you, Gena. I hope your Mini is good to you!

Where is the OnStar unit located? Can it be disconnected to reduce power usage etc? I've already discovered that pulling the OnStar fuse in the underbonnet fuse box causes faults to show in 4-5 different systems.

AdieMcc

Post by AdieMcc » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:24 pm

There’s no hate here. Everyone has there demons. Sorry for being a asshole...

Return to “Main Astra K chat”