The END of ONSTAR

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Corbil
Astra Model: 1.6 Cdti Innovation 136bhp
Astra Colour: Summit White

The END of ONSTAR

Post by Corbil » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:30 pm

First of all this is not a joke.
Just received an email from ONSTAR that states that the services of ONSTAR and WIFI will be terminated on 31st of December of 2020!!!!
Nice PSA entrance after the deal. In the letter they say that PSA bought Opel and Vauxhall but ONSTAR remained property of GM. I don't know what kind of tricks are these but many costumers chose this car cause of this gadget. I bought the car on 2017 and they gave as a "present" a 5 years usage of the ONSTAR services. Iam placing the word present in dots because the truth is that this was included in the price of the car, and made the car more attractive for buying.

I hope PSA will reconsider this option and wont make the big mistake for the future of Opel and Vauxhall.

Corbil

Re: The END of ONSTAR

Post by Corbil » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:41 pm

In FAQ the most important things are answered below.....

Q: Will the OnStar auto-response in case of a collision stay active after the expiration date?
A: NO

Q: Will OnStar help find a stolen vehicle work after the expiration date?

Q: Will my distributor receive my car related information after the expiration date?

Q: Will OnStar still have access to my vehicle data after the expiration date?

Q: I have paid for an OnStar package directly through OnStar that lasts beyond December 31, 2020, what will happen to it?
A: The OnStar service will remain in effect until December 31, 2020. Any balance will be refunded to you in accordance with the applicable terms and conditions.

Q: Wi-Fi will continue to operate in my car after 31 December
A: No. Wi-Fi will not continue to work

Corbil

Post by Corbil » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:46 pm

And the most basic question is this....
Does this mail came for certain countries or it is general for all Europe? Does anybody else received this email?

iavorid
Astra Model: MY2018 1.4T 150 AT6 ST Innovation
Astra Options: Navi 900, WP1, Rear cam, Versitility pack, keyless
Astra Colour: Cosmic Grey

Post by iavorid » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:29 pm

I can confirm I received this email a while back (region is Eastern Europe). OnStar will not work beyond 2020. PSA are unlikely to buy this segment from GM... otherwise they would have done so already.
Real question is: what can we do with these useless buttons afterthefact? Any thoughts? Maybe Opel/VX will unlock options for example changine the built in module for an aftermarket one, so we can enjoy WiFi (for a fee ofcourse).
This said, we don't even have wifi available here. And it seems we will never have.
1.4T 150 AT6 ST Innovation in Cosmic Grey

Corbil

Post by Corbil » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:03 pm

Nice....Till now Greece and Bulgaria will be soon out of order. Any others?

Wifi can be solved by obtaining a pocket mobile wifi as I have and I don't need the built in wifi of Astra.
But the anti-theft option, the easy of getting your destination on the go without searching and loosing time on the nav, the accident service and all the other staff that OnStar gives, will be a real miss for me. Already once I used the OnStar SOS when a nice lady hit my car and didn't admit that it was her fault. OnStar sent immediately the police after my call in the correct place without the need of giving address or further information.

danh23
Astra Model: Sri cdti
Astra Colour: Metallic mineral black

Post by danh23 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:16 am

If you read what will be replacing onstar it's same product under a different name so really not losing out
1.6 CDTI Astra SRI metallic mineral black (110hp)

nsanderson
Astra Model: 1.6T SRi 200 Nav
Astra Options: AGR seat, winter pack,parking sensors, spare wheel
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by nsanderson » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:10 am

The very fact that the new 2018 Astra won't have an OnStar module (and can already be ordered without) indicates that the current shape car won't get a replacement. The PSA similar system will be incorporated once the new Astra (read 308) is done.

This whole PSA buyout isn't shaping up well...
1.6T (200) SRi Nav - Power Red, AGR seat, winter pack, parking sensors, spare wheel,

Ivanzu
Astra Model: 1.4T

Post by Ivanzu » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:33 pm

PSA is planning on selling Opel/VX R&D centre, future models will have 0% VX/Opel in themselves.

nsanderson
Astra Model: 1.6T SRi 200 Nav
Astra Options: AGR seat, winter pack,parking sensors, spare wheel

Post by nsanderson » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:42 pm

Let's hope they get some of the designers/engineers to move to wherever the R&D facility is as otherwise Vx/Opel will become the new Talbot...
1.6T (200) SRi Nav - Power Red, AGR seat, winter pack, parking sensors, spare wheel,

Corbil

Post by Corbil » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:21 pm

danh23 wrote:If you read what will be replacing onstar it's same product under a different name so really not losing out
In the letter that they sent to me they don’t write something about continuation of the program beyond 2020. Lets hope that somebody else will handle the platform after. For sure I think that this happened, because in most countries they gave this present of 5 years free trial, and PSA probably looses money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Main Astra K chat”