Brakes Failed!!

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Thesis
Astra Model: Astra K SRi - 1.6 CDTi
Astra Colour: Meteorite Grey

Brakes Failed!!

Post by Thesis » Wed May 23, 2018 9:20 am

Has anyone had their brakes fail on their Astra?

I was driving in to a parking spot at Morrisons last night and went to stop, however kept going and my foot was flat to the floor.

I managed to release my foot and put it back down stopping me instantly.

Bit dubious now as to what to do.

Brake fluid seems Ok, its about 1-2cm from the very top (small hole present just above top of fluid).

Had new brake pads fitted back in February but they're all still in tact and look Ok, no obvious leaks.
Astra K SRi - 1.6 CDTi

Nynnes_far

Re: Brakes Failed!!

Post by Nynnes_far » Wed May 23, 2018 10:26 am

Without having tried anything similar I would say that you definitely should get it checked out by your dealer. Brakes are never supposed to fail like that. If they dismiss you, you should make an direct inquiry with Vauxhall/Opel in your country.
I generally fear anything like that happening while driving around with my wife and kids.

CharlieMike

Post by CharlieMike » Wed May 23, 2018 11:19 am

Yes get it to the dealer asap. DON'T drive it there.
Assuming it's under warranty insist they pick it up free of charge. Otherwise get somebody to tow or take it there on the back of a truck.
You don't want the same to happen again, especially if you're on the road.

Ivanzu
Astra Model: 1.4T
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by Ivanzu » Wed May 23, 2018 12:45 pm

1.6CDTI engine? Most likely caused by slave cylinder failure.

Thesis

Post by Thesis » Wed May 23, 2018 1:50 pm

Is that the same which drives the clutch? if so it was only replaced a few month back.
Astra K SRi - 1.6 CDTi

Thesis

Post by Thesis » Wed May 23, 2018 2:04 pm

Got it booked in for a health check. Apparently the brake system isn't covered under warranty though?! Think ill be arguing that one on a car which is just over 2 years old!
Astra K SRi - 1.6 CDTi

CharlieMike

Post by CharlieMike » Wed May 23, 2018 3:40 pm

Haha yes. I'd say failure of brakes within 2 years is unacceptable, whether explicitly covered under warranty or not. If you badger them you may get some contribution as a 'good will gesture'. worth a try anyway.

toneil461
Astra Model: 1.0 SRI Nav

Post by toneil461 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:44 pm

Do you not have a 3yr warranty??. The only brake parts that are generally not covered by warranty are those which required periodic replacing such as discs/pads. in addition If something has been damaged which is not attributed to a manufacturing defect then those parts are also not covered.

I'm concerned that you had lost total braking, braking systems have split systems which prevent total failure should a leak occur on one part of the system. The effect you would get is the brake pedal goes down half way which enables the vehicle to be bought to a halt although with greater effort and increased stopping distances.

I'm guessing but it sound like an issue with the master cylinder this controls the split system. I would not drive the vehicle until the vehicle has been checked. If the causal part is the master cylinder your warranty should cover this providing the brake fluid has been changed at the 2 year interval, I believe this could be used as a get out clause if not. Keep us all informed.

Terry..
Astra 1.0 SRI Nav - Red
Automotive Lecturer

Ivanzu
Astra Model: 1.4T

Post by Ivanzu » Wed May 23, 2018 9:58 pm

Brake failure is caused by failing clutch slave cylinder since it contaminates the brake fluid and master cylinder, that's why the pedal dropped to the floor. They should have replaced both master and slave cylinder.

OOOOP

Post by OOOOP » Thu May 24, 2018 3:02 am

Ivanzu wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:45 pm
1.6CDTI engine? Most likely caused by slave cylinder failure.
All you did is read th car next to his profile to say that hahahaha, stop spreading lies that's it's only that does that, it literally has nothing to do with what you said. End of.

Return to “Main Astra K chat”