On star

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: On star

Post by astraowner » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:17 pm

gtis wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:32 am
My December 2018 Astra elite nav never came with
Onstar no buttons in the roof line
Neil
Atleast in my country, the Onstar was something you had to select, and that cost money to get, just like DAB radio, Intellilux headlamps and so on.

Those who paid, must feel real stupid, for paying for something that was discontinued so fast.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

cb543
Astra Model: Elite Nav
Astra Options: Intellilux headlights

Post by cb543 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:50 pm

In 2 years of ownership I never used it so wasn't fussed that they discontinued it.

LunD^dk

Post by LunD^dk » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:08 pm

astraowner wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:17 pm
gtis wrote:
Neil
Atleast in my country, the Onstar was something you had to select, and that cost money to get, just like DAB radio, Intellilux headlamps and so on.

Those who paid, must feel real stupid, for paying for something that was discontinued so fast.
It is standard from Enjoy and up so I don't know what where you get "pay extra" from.

I don't use my onstar either but I would like to be able to use the emergency call if me or my wife crash someday and can't call ourselves.

gordon1

Post by gordon1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:41 pm

im just glad i wont get any more annoying e mails saying activate your on star

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:08 pm

LunD^dk wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:08 pm
astraowner wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:17 pm
gtis wrote:
Neil

It is standard from Enjoy and up so I don't know what where you get "pay extra" from.

I don't use my onstar either but I would like to be able to use the emergency call if me or my wife crash someday and can't call ourselves.
Well it is not in my 2016 astra that has Opel eye, dual zone climate control, front and rear parking Sensors.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

kjns
Astra Model: ST 1.4T 150hp AT
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by kjns » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:34 am

The trims and what they include vary from country to country depending on what the local importer/manufacturer has specified.
In Finland onstar was always included (when it came available in 2016), and you simply could not order your car without it at that point. When Opel was sold to PSA and the future of onstar became uncertain, they completely removed it and you couldn't order it if you wanted to.

I'm glad my car doesn't have it as I think it and all of it's kin are utterly useless. I really do not need to be able to check my fuel level or tyre pressure from my phone, and even less I need to pay hundred euros per year to be able to call someone to check for directions :lol:

The e-call system might be the only thing that's useful with those kinds of services in my opinion, and that's why EU is making it mandatory on all new cars that are type approved after 03/2018.

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:21 am

kjns wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:34 am
The trims and what they include vary from country to country depending on what the local importer/manufacturer has specified.
In Finland onstar was always included (when it came available in 2016), and you simply could not order your car without it at that point. When Opel was sold to PSA and the future of onstar became uncertain, they completely removed it and you couldn't order it if you wanted to.

I'm glad my car doesn't have it as I think it and all of it's kin are utterly useless. I really do not need to be able to check my fuel level or tyre pressure from my phone, and even less I need to pay hundred euros per year to be able to call someone to check for directions :lol:

The e-call system might be the only thing that's useful with those kinds of services in my opinion, and that's why EU is making it mandatory on all new cars that are type approved after 03/2018.
Yes, the part where it automatically calls emergency services if the airbags deploy is a great feature.

But me, being a bit paranoid, i actually dont like to have a system in my car, where "someone" could actually get the current GPS location at any time, without my knowledge.

I bet that there is not an intelligence agency in the world that would not get a hard-on if they were somehow able to live track all vehicles in real time.

And usually it takes a lot of stamina for companies to refuse intelligence agencies access to their data, if they really want them.

BRUCE225
Astra Model: ASTRA SRI VX-LINE NAV
Astra Colour: DEEP SKY BLUE

Post by BRUCE225 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:50 am

If you where in a crash and need help badly would the Onstar team refuse to help because you've not paid a subscription, guess come 2020 the conection would be dead.

Paulch
Astra Model: SRi Nav 1.6T (200PS)
Astra Options: Parking pack, climate control, spare wheel, towbar
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by Paulch » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:07 pm

BRUCE225 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:50 am
If you where in a crash and need help badly would the Onstar team refuse to help because you've not paid a subscription, guess come 2020 the conection would be dead.
Hi

Would they actually know if you had crashed if you're not paying for the service?

Cheers

Paul
SRI Nav 1.6T (200). Parking pack, Climate control, spare wheel and towbar. Power Red.

BRUCE225
Astra Model: ASTRA SRI VX-LINE NAV
Astra Colour: DEEP SKY BLUE

Post by BRUCE225 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:32 pm

Paulch wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:07 pm
BRUCE225 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:50 am
Hi

Would they actually know if you had crashed if you're not paying for the service?

Cheers

Paul
I was meaning if you could press the button who they not help in an emergency subscription or not.

Return to “Main Astra K chat”