Talk me out of it?

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
S1m0n

Talk me out of it?

Post by S1m0n » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:44 pm

Decided to give up the company car and buy my own. Been looking for a couple of months and still can't see anything I like better for interior/exterior style, economy and value for money than the Astra. So far I have got as far as the 1.6 diesel in black but can't quite decide on SRI, Elite or vx-line. Not going to buy new but hope to pick something up very nearly new. Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated or just talk me out of it.

trueblue_ips

Re: Talk me out of it?

Post by trueblue_ips » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:08 pm

I'm like you. Looking for a nearly new 1.6t petrol. For the new petrols, you can only get the 16.t now in VX-line or Elite spec.
Nearly new ones are extremely hard to find.

S1m0n

Post by S1m0n » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:13 pm

I believe we may may be geographically close too at least we support the same football team I suspect

davidw
Astra Model: 1.6T Elite Nav
Astra Options: All except CD Player and Parking Pack
Astra Colour: Cosmic Grey

Post by davidw » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:18 pm

I'd definitely recommend the 1.6T. I've had mine for a year now and not had a single issue with it. I have a feeling they put more effort into the development of it.
Astra Hatchback Elite Nav |1.6i Turbo | 200 bhp | Cosmic Grey | Intellilux Matrix Headlights | Dark Rear Windows | Keyless Entry | Sports Seats (AGR - Approved) | Front and Rear Parking Sensors

S1m0n

Post by S1m0n » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:39 am

Unfortunately fuel economy will be the deciding factor hence the diesel.

BRUCE225
Astra Model: ASTRA SRI VX-LINE NAV
Astra Colour: DEEP SKY BLUE

Post by BRUCE225 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:50 am

If you like a car that you don't see the same model day in day out get a VX-Line, I live in Yorkshire travel the M62 everyday if I see one a month that's a shock.... Then add the spec you want.

cooldad
Astra Model: 1.6 SRi Turbo 200PS
Astra Options: 18" Alloys + IntelliLux LED Matrix Headlights
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by cooldad » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:42 pm

S1m0n wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:39 am
Unfortunately fuel economy will be the deciding factor hence the diesel.
Agree with Davidw about the 1.6T petrol (but then I would, wouldn't I? ;) ;)).

It depends what sort of driving you're going to do. I had a 1.7CDTi Astra J before I bought my K and I was very disappointed with the fuel economy - expecting much better for a diesel. I was only doing relatively short journeys, but even on more extended routes, i was still expecting better. I believe the new diesels are much improved in that regard.

You'd be surprised at how good the petrol consumption is on the 1.6T. It merely depends what you want and, yes, the 1.6 petrol is hard to find on the used market.
Astra 1.6 SRi Turbo 200 PS / 150 kW, Power Red.
'Intellilux' headlights, 18 in / 45 cm bi-colour alloys, driving assistance pack, advanced parking pack.

trueblue_ips

Post by trueblue_ips » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:32 pm

My username a giveaway then s1m0n LOL.
Cooldad, the one thing I have prioritised which I won't compromise on is the 1.6t petrol. I only do about 4K a year, mostly urban, so not that fussed about fuel economy. People spend hundreds a months on financing a car then obsess about spending an extra £20 a month on fuel. Different I suppose if you do about £20K.
I think I'm now settled on a 1.6T VX Line in Summit White with the parking sensors and possibly intellilux. I would prefer to buy nearly new but that spec is impossible to find used so I may for the first time in my life buy a brand new car. Maybe everyone should have at least one brand new car in their lifetime. Yes, depreciation ain't great but at least you get exactly what you want and it's yours from brand new.

trueblue_ips

Post by trueblue_ips » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:41 pm

@cooldad, how do you find the 18" rims? I would prefer 17" if the ride is smoother but VX line only has 18".

moleyjoel
Astra Model: Elite Nav 1.6t (200) MY17.5
Astra Options: Intellilux, 18” Bi-Colour, Parking Pack, AGR Seats
Astra Colour: Mineral Black

Post by moleyjoel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:01 pm

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone unhappy with their 1.6t, myself included. ;) I have the 18” alloys too and the ride is still very comfortable. I’ve got a spine problem so was was worried about ride comfort but can say it’s the most comfortable ride of any car I’ve had!

I also do about 4,000 miles a year, mainly around town with a few motorway journeys a month. I regularly get around 30-35mpg (calculated).

Also, I noticed you may ‘possibly’ get IntelliLux...so many people on this forum kick themselves and wish they’d got them, so if your budget can stretch for them, definitely go for it, you won’t be disappointed! :P
Elite Nav 1.6t (200) Mineral Black MY17.5
Intellilux LED, 18” Bi-Colour Alloys, Advanced Parking Pack, AGR Sport Seats

Return to “Main Astra K chat”