Do the parking sensors make sense?

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Markybadi
Astra Model: Elite 1.4T
Astra Colour: Carbon flash black

Re: Do the parking sensors make sense?

Post by Markybadi » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:03 pm

You will need something. Hardest car I have ever had to park without them!!
Elite 1.4t 150 in Carbon Flash Black (returned to lease co 24/4/18)

Redfastback
Astra Model: SRi Nav 1.4T
Astra Options: Spare Wheel
Astra Colour: Lava Red

Post by Redfastback » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:42 pm

Prince of Darkness wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:31 am
I retrofitted parking sensors front and rear and opted for ones fitted by AVRmobile. They spray the sensors prior to shipping so that you can check they match okay and about a week to ten days later a guy turns up and installs them on one's drive, The guy I had made a super job of it and they work fine. Rear sensors are activated when reverse gear is selected whilst the fronts have a push button on/off switch fitted inside the car exactly where you want it to be. I opted just behind the 12v mobile charging socket. Very small switch and very inconspicuous although a CANBUS can be fitted for £80. Check on the url below.

http://www.avrmobiles.co.uk/acatalog/pa ... nsors.html
We have also just used AVR Mobile for some rear sensors. £156 fitted. All done over the internet. Took the fitter about 40 minutes. Just beeps. Looks fine. Works fine. They do the factory fit style but the bumper has to come off so more expensive and not available in all areas.

I did try an Astra with factory fit sensors. I had a couple of issues. First I didn't think they were working at first as you had to get really, really close to the wall for them to come on and secondly, the display is small and between the dials and the steering wheel hid it when twirling the wheel. My other car has the display on the media screen in the centre of the dash - much easier. If I was buying new I wouldn't bother, if you can find a used one with them on don't pay a premium, they are not worth it.
Sometimes I drive the wife's 2017 SRi Nav 1.4 150 Turbo in Lava Red (with the sport button pressed).

jonathaneuk

Post by jonathaneuk » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:51 am

Redfastback wrote:
Prince of Darkness wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:31 am
I retrofitted parking sensors front and rear and opted for ones fitted by AVRmobile. They spray the sensors prior to shipping so that you can check they match okay and about a week to ten days later a guy turns up and installs them on one's drive, The guy I had made a super job of it and they work fine. Rear sensors are activated when reverse gear is selected whilst the fronts have a push button on/off switch fitted inside the car exactly where you want it to be. I opted just behind the 12v mobile charging socket. Very small switch and very inconspicuous although a CANBUS can be fitted for £80. Check on the url below.

http://www.avrmobiles.co.uk/acatalog/pa ... nsors.html
We have also just used AVR Mobile for some rear sensors. £156 fitted. All done over the internet. Took the fitter about 40 minutes. Just beeps. Looks fine. Works fine. They do the factory fit style but the bumper has to come off so more expensive and not available in all areas.

I did try an Astra with factory fit sensors. I had a couple of issues. First I didn't think they were working at first as you had to get really, really close to the wall for them to come on and secondly, the display is small and between the dials and the steering wheel hid it when twirling the wheel. My other car has the display on the media screen in the centre of the dash - much easier. If I was buying new I wouldn't bother, if you can find a used one with them on don't pay a premium, they are not worth it.
The factory ones now come on the centre display so it's much bigger and clearer now and more accurate.

Jonny

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Astra K|SRi|Summer White|Parking Assist|OnStar

nsanderson
Astra Model: 1.4T SRi 150
Astra Options: Parking sensors, under boot storage
Astra Colour: Deep Sky Blue

Post by nsanderson » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:00 am

trueblue_ips wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:20 pm
Thanks all for replies. Could those who have commented please confirm how your factory fitted ones work? Is there a button you press to engage them so they don't off accidentally?
Every time you go through an ignition cycle, they turn back on. There's a button to turn them off but as has been said, once you go over 7mph or something like that they re-activate. There is an option in the Intellilink menu to deactivate them and they will then stay off until you go through another ignition cycle. Once you've deactivated them this way, the button doesn't work so if you wanted to use them, you'd need to go through the menu again.

Put it simply, I'd go for a third party solution as the factory fit ones are just a pain. We all want them to work like the Astra J factory fit ones but Vx/Opel don't seem bothered.
1.4T (150) SRi - Deep Sky Blue with Parking Sensors

Paulch
Astra Model: SRi Nav 1.6T (200PS)
Astra Options: Parking pack, climate control, spare wheel, towbar
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by Paulch » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:42 am

jonathaneuk wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:51 am
The factory ones now come on the centre display so it's much bigger and clearer now and more accurate.
Hi

Does that not only apply if you don't have the NAV model with the coloured driver information screen?

Cheers

Paul
SRI Nav 1.6T (200). Parking pack, Climate control, spare wheel and towbar. Power Red.

jonathaneuk

Post by jonathaneuk » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:43 am

Paulch wrote:
jonathaneuk wrote:
Hi

Does that not only apply if you don't have the NAV model with the coloured driver information screen?

Cheers

Paul
No.

I don't have nav and it comes on display

Jonny

Paulch
Astra Model: SRi Nav 1.6T (200PS)
Astra Options: Parking pack, climate control, spare wheel, towbar
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by Paulch » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:26 pm

jonathaneuk wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:43 am
Paulch wrote:
jonathaneuk wrote:
Hi

Cheers

Paul
No.

Jonny

Hi

Thats my point.

With the NAV model it appears on the driver information screen not the infotainment screen.

Cheers

Paul
SRI Nav 1.6T (200). Parking pack, Climate control, spare wheel and towbar. Power Red.

jonathaneuk

Post by jonathaneuk » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:28 pm

Paulch wrote:
jonathaneuk wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:43 am
Paulch wrote:
Hi

Cheers

Paul
No.

Jonny

Hi

Thats my point.

With the NAV model it appears on the driver information screen not the infotainment screen.

Cheers

Paul
No.

Yeah :)

Jonny

paraklas
Astra Model: Astra K
Astra Options: Enjoy
Astra Colour: Cool Beige

Post by paraklas » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:55 am

I had the front ones randomly activating, seems that the dealer-fitted plate & holder, was not curved to the bumper line, and was protruding a bit from both left & right side, this caused the 2 adjucent sensors to pick it up randomly and activate. I bent the plate to make it flush with the bumper and it has been good so far.

DarSRi

Post by DarSRi » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:29 am

New to the forum but noticed this issue raised.
Just booked mine in for a service maybe an update is available because my factory fitted sensors are very sensitive and go off all the time in my SRi Nav 2016 (136). Even when I turn them off in the settings they restart after a new ignition I live with it of course but it is frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Main Astra K chat”