Do the parking sensors make sense?

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
trueblue_ips

Do the parking sensors make sense?

Post by trueblue_ips » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:14 pm

Hello, I'm looking for a nearly new or new 1.6T Elite or SRI Nav (not an easy thing to find secondhand).

I would like parking sensors on the car but the factory fitted ones don't seem that great from what I've read on here - in that they are too loud and go off when they shouldn't.

Do the pros outweigh the cons or should I just not bother with them?

Alternatively, I suppose I could ignore the factory fitted ones and fit a third-party aftermarket set front and rear. Any recommendations on a good set that do the job properly?

As an aside, why Vauxhall don't fix this I do not know. Surely, the sensors should only activate when the car is put in reverse or a parking button is pressed?

Paulch
Astra Model: SRi Nav 1.6T (200PS)
Astra Options: Parking pack, climate control, spare wheel, towbar
Astra Colour: Power Red

Re: Do the parking sensors make sense?

Post by Paulch » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:51 pm

Hi

Go third party would be my advice. I certainly wouldn’t have bothered if I’d know they would be permanently on without any intelligence being applied.

Cheers

Paul
SRI Nav 1.6T (200). Parking pack, Climate control, spare wheel and towbar. Power Red.

jonathaneuk

Post by jonathaneuk » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:47 pm

Parking sensors on mine are spot on. Factory fitted. Especially after the software update they did on car. Easily turned on and off. Gives good accurate distance aswell..much better than other cars I've had.

Jonny

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Astra K|SRi|Summer White|Parking Assist|OnStar

Frostie36

Post by Frostie36 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:19 pm

No complaints here with the factory fitted parking sensors, I had third party one fitted to my previous astra g but I specifically wanted factory fitted ones on my astra k so searched until I found a nearly new car with the engine I wanted.

I also like the visual display on the intellilink when the sensors detect an object.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ty5500

Post by Ty5500 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:16 am

Mine is from august 2017 and the parking sensors dont bother me that much. Maybe they did an update. So i would go for the standard ones as well

Prince of Darkness
Astra Model: 1.4 T 150ps auto
Astra Options: Third party fitted front and rear parking sensors
Astra Colour: Summit white

Post by Prince of Darkness » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:31 am

I retrofitted parking sensors front and rear and opted for ones fitted by AVRmobile. They spray the sensors prior to shipping so that you can check they match okay and about a week to ten days later a guy turns up and installs them on one's drive, The guy I had made a super job of it and they work fine. Rear sensors are activated when reverse gear is selected whilst the fronts have a push button on/off switch fitted inside the car exactly where you want it to be. I opted just behind the 12v mobile charging socket. Very small switch and very inconspicuous although a CANBUS can be fitted for £80. Check on the url below.

http://www.avrmobiles.co.uk/acatalog/pa ... nsors.html

DaveK
Astra Model: Elite Nav CDTI
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Post by DaveK » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:59 am

Is there an update available then for sensors? After 2 years they still drive me nuts, going off when parked in neutral & handbrake on or when reversing away from object until about a 6 foot distance. I can switch off but putting into reverse just turns them back on.
It's going in for 2 year MOT Friday so if someone can confirm there's at least an improvement to be made i'll give them a call.

trueblue_ips

Post by trueblue_ips » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:20 pm

Thanks all for replies. Could those who have commented please confirm how your factory fitted ones work? Is there a button you press to engage them so they don't off accidentally?

Ivanzu
Astra Model: 1.4T
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by Ivanzu » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:47 pm

Mine work very good, there is a button to turn them off.

moleyjoel
Astra Model: Elite Nav 1.6t (200) MY17.5
Astra Options: Intellilux, 18” Bi-Colour, Parking Pack, AGR Seats
Astra Colour: Mineral Black

Post by moleyjoel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:03 pm

trueblue_ips wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:20 pm
Thanks all for replies. Could those who have commented please confirm how your factory fitted ones work? Is there a button you press to engage them so they don't off accidentally?
There is a button to turn them off, but once you start driving again (anywhere over about 5mph I think) they turn back on again automatically.

Can be a bit of a pain in town as it’s a lot of stop-start traffic, with people walking in front/behind your car and setting them off :lol: just gotta remember to press the button every time you stop.
Elite Nav 1.6t (200) Mineral Black MY17.5
Intellilux LED, 18” Bi-Colour Alloys, Advanced Parking Pack, AGR Sport Seats

Return to “Main Astra K chat”