Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Not Very sound proof ? Road Noise, Fuel Sloshing ?

13K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  NickT 
#1 ·
Anyone else think the K isn't as sound proof as the J maybe or other cars?.

Filled up fuel tank full today and could hear all the fuel sloshing about quite loud, and also car hear a lot of road noise under wheels and movement, took it to garage thinking there was knocking noises etc but just infact poor sound proofing etc.

Anyone else think the same ?

Jonny

#3 ·
Pompeydave said:
Hi Jonathan
The soundproofing has been discussed many a time with various members putting extra padding around the boot etc.
Cost cutting I suppose but agree the J was better insulated.
Hi.

It's not just boot. It's front end too. Can hear all noises of front end mechanical movements. Such as suspension. Etc.

Jonny

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I agree about relatively loud road noise above ~80kmh : In the estate it's mostly coming from the rear/boot, though, which can't be helped by the relatively thin sound dampening in the boot itself and the extremely thin load cover.

I don't find much noise coming from the front end, even up to 130kmh (note: I still have to plan to visit a derestricted section of Autobahn as soon as the weather gets better and experience the road noise at up to 200kmh+). And I've certainly never heard the fuel sloshing in the tank.

I'm wondering how much influence tyre choice has on road noise and the pitch of the noise (which then interacts with the way noise transfers inside the car). My car came with Michelin Energy Saver+ which are rated a few dB louder than some alternatives and apparently have a pitch which isn't the friendliest. But hard to tell without comparing these things yourself

#8 ·
NickT said:
I agree about relatively loud road noise above ~80kmh : In the estate it's mostly coming from the rear/boot, though, which can't be helped by the relatively thin sound dampening in the boot itself and the extremely thin load cover.

I don't find much noise coming from the front end, even up to 130kmh (note: I still have to plan to visit a derestricted section of Autobahn as soon as the weather gets better and experience the road noise at up to 200kmh+). And I've certainly never heard the fuel sloshing in the tank.

I'm wondering how much influence tyre choice has on road noise and the pitch of the noise (which then interacts with the way noise transfers inside the car). My car came with Michelin Energy Saver+ which are rated a few dB louder than some alternatives and apparently have a pitch which isn't the friendliest. But hard to tell without comparing these things yourself
Yeah. Maybe could depend on tyre pressures you think too?

Jonny

#9 ·
jonathaneuk said:
Pompeydave said:
Hi Jonathan
The soundproofing has been discussed many a time with various members putting extra padding around the boot etc.
Cost cutting I suppose but agree the J was better insulated.
Hi.

It's not just boot. It's front end too. Can hear all noises of front end mechanical movements. Such as suspension. Etc.

Jonny

Yeah, I hear this too. It's somehow gotten worse since the car was new.
Road noise is not too bad for this class IMO, I also have never heard the fuel sloshing, but I've soundproofed my boot and under the rear bench.

#10 ·
Noise is mostly coming from the boot which acts like a drum and amplifies everything. This can be noticed when driving over patched section of the road. You can hear that noise gets louder when rear wheels start rolling on the patched road which is generally rougher than old parts of the road.

#11 ·
Yeah, turn your head to the side at any speed and you can hear the boom from the boot. The lack of spare wheel section makes a huge difference as there is only the boot carpet then steel. The battery box acts like a drum and amplifies the sound further.

Nothing some sound proofing felt and thick carpet underlay can't sort out.

#13 ·
I must be one of the lucky ones then cos I think the ride is pretty quiet, even with the stock tyres on as well. I've just installed the 'double load boot floor', didn't notice any drop in noise, but then it wasn't exactly bad to begin with! :)

#17 ·
Scotty_b said:
Yeah, turn your head to the side at any speed and you can hear the boom from the boot. The lack of spare wheel section makes a huge difference as there is only the boot carpet then steel. The battery box acts like a drum and amplifies the sound further.

hi Scotty,
My car has a (full sized) spare wheel and can confirm you are absolutely right - it makes a whole lot of difference. Its a ST version. The wheel also has some styrofoam "seating" for the wheel. I can't complain from any noise comming from the back.
This said - the pebles knocking on the doors while underway is killing me. Already thinking of putting insulation material under the door panels.

#21 ·
moleyjoel said:
I must be one of the lucky ones then cos I think the ride is pretty quiet, even with the stock tyres on as well. I've just installed the 'double load boot floor', didn't notice any drop in noise, but then it wasn't exactly bad to begin with! :)
That's because you've got the Acoustic Pack fitted. They used to put it on the 150ps 1.4 models but removed it as part of the MY16.5 alterations leaving a few of us who test drove MY16 models feeling somewhat short changed. Only comes on the 1.6T200 and the BiTurbo diesel and consists of sound deadening in the wheel arches and under the bonnet.

I've found that fitting the CrossClimate+ tyres has reduced road noise and I've added mudflaps which seems to have helped again - not sure why unless it's deflecting some of the noise and blocking some of the gaps into the wheel arch?

#23 ·
Scotty_b said:
iavorid said:
Scotty_b said:
Mudflaps help massively with dirt and stone flicking.
I have for the rear. The front ones would cause problems in some cases (posibility of hiting the flaps in some situaions).
I've never caught the front flaps on any speed bump, even the larger ones.
There is a ridge just infront of my garage, 3-4 fingers tall (idk, ~10cm of hight). My neighbour had his flaps hit the ridge twice, second time there was damage to the panel where the flap was mounted and the flap was intact. Afraid same thing can happen to me, as the driveway to his garage is the same as mine. So I prefer not to try. :)

#25 ·
iavorid said:
Scotty_b said:

hi Scotty,
My car has a (full sized) spare wheel and can confirm you are absolutely right - it makes a whole lot of difference. Its a ST version. The wheel also has some styrofoam "seating" for the wheel. I can't complain from any noise comming from the back.
This said - the pebles knocking on the doors while underway is killing me. Already thinking of putting insulation material under the door panels.
that road noise related to crashing stone and dust particles was driving me crazy,as well. at the end can't stand it and last week,i ordered to acoustic pads which places on the front wheel arch. I hope that works at least it helps to reduce noise or whatever. when i got them i'll share my experiences about before/after situation.

#26 ·
nsanderson said:
moleyjoel said:
That's because you've got the Acoustic Pack fitted. They used to put it on the 150ps 1.4 models but removed it as part of the MY16.5 alterations leaving a few of us who test drove MY16 models feeling somewhat short changed. Only comes on the 1.6T200 and the BiTurbo diesel and consists of sound deadening in the wheel arches and under the bonnet.

I've found that fitting the CrossClimate+ tyres has reduced road noise and I've added mudflaps which seems to have helped again - not sure why unless it's deflecting some of the noise and blocking some of the gaps into the wheel arch?
I've checked and I don't have the acoustic pack fitted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.