Central Locking Failure

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Tiberius
Astra Model: Elite 1.4T Auto

Central Locking Failure

Post by Tiberius » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:55 pm

There seems to be an issue with the remote key fob in that if you repeatedly press the open/close button the central locking gets itself into a bit of a state.

The symptoms are:

• The key fob enables or disables the alarm/immobiliser, flashes the hazard indicator lights and turns off/on the internal courtesy lights but it does not lock/unlock any of the doors.

• The driver’s door can only be locked/unlocked with the key.

• If you unlock and open the driver’s door without disabling the alarm via the key fob the alarm goes off.

• Once the driver’s door is open none of the other doors will open from the inside or outside. The tail gate does open.

• The lock/unlock button on the driver’s door does nothing.

• The petrol cap flap does not lock.

• The car still drives OK.

After waiting overnight to see if the car would sort itself out I tested the fuse and that was OK.

I arranged to have the car seen but the wait was over a week.

The solution I stumbled upon was to turn off all the options to do with locking in the Vehicle sub-menu, then take the car for a drive. On my return the locking worked fine and I reset the locking options to what I had previously and it all seems to be OK now.

Regards

Tiberius

moleyjoel
Astra Model: Elite Nav 1.6t (200) MY17.5
Astra Options: Intellilux, 18” Bi-Colour, Parking Pack, AGR Seats
Astra Colour: Mineral Black

Re: Central Locking Failure

Post by moleyjoel » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:07 pm

When you say you repeatedly pressed the open/close buttons on the fob, how many times did you press it just out of interest?

It’s the first I’ve heard of it, and I imagine you’d have to press them quite a lot for it to ‘confuse’ the car.

Also, is it possible the vehicle personalisation settings have been changed, maybe by accident? You can customise a lot of settings in this menu, albeit not to the extent of your problems listed above, but still, might be worth double checking.
Elite Nav 1.6t (200) Mineral Black MY17.5
Intellilux LED, 18” Bi-Colour Alloys, Advanced Parking Pack, AGR Sport Seats

Ivanzu
Astra Model: 1.4T
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by Ivanzu » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:09 pm

Could be some sort of theft protection?

Tiberius

Post by Tiberius » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:27 pm

I came home late, locked the car as normal then realised I had left something on the back seat. In the dark I got a bit confused which button was being pressed but the presses were less than a second apart. In all about 5 or 6 presses in a couple of seconds.

I have had the issue before when my wife, who was unfamiliar with the car, didn't know what button to press. That time just going for a drive fixed it.

The problem I have is that previously I had a Mondeo and you had to press the lock button twice to set the dead locks so I have gotten into the habit of repeated key presses and need to break it.

Tiberius

NickT
Astra Model: Sports Tourer MY2017 1.4T 150
Astra Options: Innovation, Nav
Astra Colour: Deep Sky Blue

Post by NickT » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:04 pm

Tiberius wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:27 pm
The problem I have is that previously I had a Mondeo and you had to press the lock button twice to set the dead locks so I have gotten into the habit of repeated key presses and need to break it.

Tiberius
http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/content/dam/V ... b_2016.pdf
On page 35 of the owners manual it states that you have to press the lock button twice within 5 seconds to activate the anti-theft deadlocking system (not the optional alarm, that's on the next page). Compared to just referring to a single press as locking the central locking system (page 26).

I was reading this as meaning that double pressing the remote's lock button does something else than simply applying the central lock as done by a single press. Was I reading this wrong?

Tiberius

Post by Tiberius » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:11 pm

I agree that page 35/36 is not written well, There seem to be two systems - anti-theft locking (ATL) and anti-theft alarm (ATA). ATL needs two presses to activate (page 35). ATA needs either one press followed by a wait of 30 seconds to activate (page 35) or two presses (page 36).

The engine immobilser (page 37) kicks in as soon as the key is removed from the ignition.

I'm going to try and stick with one press for now.

kjcdti

Post by kjcdti » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:34 pm

I’m experiencing these exact same “symptoms” right now, but my fuel flap is locked and cannot unlock to refuel. Problem came out of nowhere, unlike previous replies on this thread, I didn’t overpress the key fob buttons.

Return to “Main Astra K chat”