Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Service from dealer ?

11K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  PACMANIA 
#1 ·
Hi all

Well think my car is due for service soon.
Mileage is 20,000 and on a 16 Plate. (1.6cdti)
I think it's a major that needs doing ? Not sure how it works from dealer but anyone has there's done ?

What's the normal price and what does this include ? Worth getting it done from dealers ?

Cheers

Jonny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Paulch said:
jonathaneuk said:
Hi all

I think it's a major that needs doing ? Not sure how it works from dealer but anyone has there's done ?

What's the normal price and what does this include ? Worth getting it done from dealers ?

Cheers

Jonny

Hi

I've had mine done 28000 miles (2nd service) but I have no idea how much it costs as I am on a service plan.

Cheers

Paul
Oh right. Do you know what the 2nd service involved. Mine just be the big one that's needed them if I'm correct ?

Jonny

#4 ·
jonathaneuk said:
Paulch said:
jonathaneuk said:
Hi all

Cheers

Jonny

Hi

I've had mine done 28000 miles (2nd service) but I have no idea how much it costs as I am on a service plan.

Cheers

Paul
Oh right. Do you know what the 2nd service involved. Mine just be the big one that's needed them if I'm correct ?

Jonny

Hi

Sorry I don't I just took it to the dealer and they did it.

Cheers

Paul

#5 ·
2nd service is oil, oil filter, pollen filter and fuel filter change. Brake fluid change but you have to request it. Then you have the usual checks fir corrosion and any software updates.

I purchased my parts separately as I get trade club price. Labour cost was £165 as it's 11/2 hours labour.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#6 ·
cornishtaz said:
2nd service is oil, oil filter, pollen filter and fuel filter change. Brake fluid change but you have to request it. Then you have the usual checks fir corrosion and any software updates.

I purchased my parts separately as I get trade club price. Labour cost was £165 as it's 11/2 hours labour.

I see. Just been quoted £199.99 from Vauxhall for it. Might as well just get it done by them then

Regards

Jonny

#7 ·
Talking of service mine due in May just over 10,000 miles on a 16 plate had a oil change at 5000miles and when the car when in for the clutch they performed a healthcheck all green no issues. I may just get the oil done. My dad got the astra j he does 15 miles a week and get the oil changed every 2years as he a low mileage user. And his oil is crystal clear I may do that from next year will take me 2 years to reached 20,000 miles also. My 3 years is up from May 2019 so make sure I get the once over incased the car decide to go haywire then the big bills will come in clutch goes matrix lights or ecu computer throw a hisses fit :roll:

#8 ·
PACMANIA said:
Talking of service mine due in May just over 10,000 miles on a 16 plate had a oil change at 5000miles and when the car when in for the clutch they performed a healthcheck all green no issues. I may just get the oil done. My dad got the astra j he does 15 miles a week and get the oil changed every 2years as he a low mileage user. And his oil is crystal clear I may do that from next year will take me 2 years to reached 20,000 miles also. My 3 years is up from May 2019 so make sure I get the once over incased the car decide to go haywire then the big bills will come in clutch goes matrix lights or ecu computer throw a hisses fit :roll:
Yeah, my car got a new clutch last month too and healthcheck which was fine.

Jonny

#10 ·
cornishtaz said:
To keep within your warranty I'd recommend sticking to the manufacturers specified service interval of 20k, yearly or when oil life % reaches zero which ever comes first.

Yeah. Well oil life is on 22% and it says service is due June. So gonna get them to do it in June :)

Jonny

#11 ·
Car's going in for a service on Monday, 2nd year is a major service. Managed to get a discounted oil price in the service as I was originally going to supply my own oil but found out the oil spec had changed so need to use manufacture supplied oil now. Getting full service for £172.50.

Thing I find a bit funny, if I tried to book the service via Vauxhalls' website rather than speaking to the dealer, they were going to charge me £249 to get the car serviced. Just goes to show it's sometimes better to speak to a person rather than use on-line services to organise things

Getting a couple thing checked out as well as I've noticed quite a bit of noise coming off the steering column when turning the car at slow speeds and the Centre console has crashed/restarted quite a few times when I've been listening to music off my USB drive and tried to change track.

Also looking at the cost of getting two dents removed from my bonnet after some little s**** put them there one night.

#12 ·
EvilScotsman said:
Car's going in for a service on Monday, 2nd year is a major service. Managed to get a discounted oil price in the service as I was originally going to supply my own oil but found out the oil spec had changed so need to use manufacture supplied oil now. Getting full service for £172.50.

Thing I find a bit funny, if I tried to book the service via Vauxhalls' website rather than speaking to the dealer, they were going to charge me £249 to get the car serviced. Just goes to show it's sometimes better to speak to a person rather than use on-line services to organise things

Getting a couple thing checked out as well as I've noticed quite a bit of noise coming off the steering column when turning the car at slow speeds and the Centre console has crashed/restarted quite a few times when I've been listening to music off my USB drive and tried to change track.

Also looking at the cost of getting two dents removed from my bonnet after some little s**** put them there one night.
Hope you get them sorted mate. Thanks for that info!
If they don't ring me soon I think I'll ring them rather than book online for a service :) not a bad price £172 for a major.

Same engine as mine too ? Or different

Jonny

#13 ·
jonathaneuk said:
If they don't ring me soon I think I'll ring them rather than book online for a service :) not a bad price £172 for a major.

Jonny
Think they might just have to replace the bonnet for the car, the dents have properly creased the metal and might be difficult to get out. Can provide some pictures but they are difficult to see on camera unless the light is just right.

Engine is the 1.6T petrol.

#14 ·
EvilScotsman said:
jonathaneuk said:

Jonny
Think they might just have to replace the bonnet for the car, the dents have properly creased the metal and might be difficult to get out. Can provide some pictures but they are difficult to see on camera unless the light is just right.

Engine is the 1.6T petrol.
Ah my service will cost more because of the fuel filter cost on mine.

Hopefully your bonnet isn't too expensive

Jonny

#15 ·
jonathaneuk said:

Jonny
Is it Petrol or Diesel you have?

#17 ·
I also have the 16 CDTI. I am on a service plan and get it done annually even though I have only done 28k. First service was done after 15k. Just booked it in for second service at the dealer. They asked if I want the brake fluid changing for £35. Is this worth getting done after 2 years and 28k? And is £35 reasonable for it?

#18 ·
Wellman said:
I also have the 16 CDTI. I am on a service plan and get it done annually even though I have only done 28k. First service was done after 15k. Just booked it in for second service at the dealer. They asked if I want the brake fluid changing for £35. Is this worth getting done after 2 years and 28k? And is £35 reasonable for it?
Oh right. Yeah same I'll be getting done annually so this will be it's 2nd service. I'm on 21k. I might get them to do my brake fluid just for peace of mind.

Jonny

#19 ·
Got the second service done and got the brake fluid done at the same time yesterday, when I thought about it £35 for a brake fluid change was ok and then no excuses to invalidate any warranty claims if ever was a brake issue. What I did not realise is the air filter is not changed. After getting home and checking the service book then phoning the dealer to ask why the air filter was not changed, the dealer said it had. I then opened up the air box and it certainly had not been changed so went back to the dealer. He then produced a year 4 service sheet which the air filter gets changed and it was the pollen filter changed yesterday. Is that the timescale for an air filter change now? 4 annual or 80k, seems an awful long time. Had a Google search for service schedules and what is done each year without much success for the Astra K.

#20 ·
Wellman said:
Got the second service done and got the brake fluid done at the same time yesterday, when I thought about it £35 for a brake fluid change was ok and then no excuses to invalidate any warranty claims if ever was a brake issue. What I did not realise is the air filter is not changed. After getting home and checking the service book then phoning the dealer to ask why the air filter was not changed, the dealer said it had. I then opened up the air box and it certainly had not been changed so went back to the dealer. He then produced a year 4 service sheet which the air filter gets changed and it was the pollen filter changed yesterday. Is that the timescale for an air filter change now? 4 annual or 80k, seems an awful long time. Had a Google search for service schedules and what is done each year without much success for the Astra K.
Yeah. I've heard others say that I didn't get there air filter changed either. Apparently 4 years they were saying. But. I'm going to ask them to change mine because 4 years or 80k is awfully long time for a air filter!

#22 ·
Wellman said:
... Had a Google search for service schedules and what is done each year without much success for the Astra K.
Hi Wellman,
I think I can help here. Its translated from Bulgarian service scheme, apart from the milage and costs - everthing else should be the same:
1st service @ 15k km / 1 year includes: Oil, oil filter, air filter;
2nd service @ 30k km / 1 year after last service includes: Oil, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter;
3rd service @ 45k km / 1 year after last service includes: Oil, oil filter, air filter and spark plugs;
4th service @ 60k km / ... includes: Oil, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter;

So that means that the air filter should be changed at every service.
For the 1.4T and 1.6T what I've heard is that the fuel filter is directly insterted into the fuel tank and is never changed - sounds stupid, I don't believe that. Does not apply for ANY of the diesels - they have an easily accessible fuel filters.
For the autobox - the dealer said that transmission fluid is not required to be changed - also I find this hard to believe. Typically autos have a fluid change 60-80-100k km or something.

#24 ·
jonathaneuk said:

Jonny
Got a quote to do the work as a new bonnet was recommended to properly fix the issue (this was from the bodyshop attached to the dealership). In total, including the new bonnet, respray painting and other work, the cost would be £650. Got a very strong urge at the moment to find the little s**** that did the damage as that is money I just don't want to have to spend. Going to shop around and see if a decent bodyshop might be able to pull the dents out without needing to replace the bonnet.

#25 ·
EvilScotsman said:
jonathaneuk said:

Jonny
Got a quote to do the work as a new bonnet was recommended to properly fix the issue (this was from the bodyshop attached to the dealership). In total, including the new bonnet, respray painting and other work, the cost would be £650. Got a very strong urge at the moment to find the little s**** that did the damage as that is money I just don't want to have to spend. Going to shop around and see if a decent bodyshop might be able to pull the dents out without needing to replace the bonnet.
Ouch! Horrible people out there mate who just can't leave stuff alone! Hopefully you get it sorted for cheaper mate.

Jonny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.