Paint issues

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
astranaut
Astra Model: Astra 1.6CDTi SRi Nav 136 Sports Tourer.
Astra Options: Nav, Parking Pack, Winter Pack
Astra Colour: Lava Red.

Re: Paint issues

Post by astranaut » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:43 am

Sadly this is a Vauxhall feature. When I compare the quality of paint and thickness of panels to my 8 year old Saab regrettably there is no contest. Very few chips on the Saab after 77000 miles and the panels don't flex when I wash it but they do in the Astra. After just 6000 miles the Astra has two minor door edge chips and the Saab has none. Both are red as well.
Anyone any experience of these paint protection treatments?? That might help.
2016 Astra 1.6CDTi SRi Nav 136 Sports Tourer. Power Red. Driver Assistance Pack, Parking Pack, Winter Pack, Dark Tinted Rear Windows, Steel spare wheel.
"What a difference a 'K' makes"

Ivanzu

Post by Ivanzu » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:44 pm

They have reduce paint quality mostly to save money because GM demanded so, my old astra has no chips and paint is in excellent condition for a car that is 18 years old but they didn't save money back then.

astranaut
Astra Model: Astra 1.6CDTi SRi Nav 136 Sports Tourer.
Astra Options: Nav, Parking Pack, Winter Pack
Astra Colour: Lava Red.

Post by astranaut » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:54 pm

I can quite believe that. Sad isn't it??
I have had a few Calibras over the years and the paint was superb. Found out later they were built in a Saab factory. Says it all.
2016 Astra 1.6CDTi SRi Nav 136 Sports Tourer. Power Red. Driver Assistance Pack, Parking Pack, Winter Pack, Dark Tinted Rear Windows, Steel spare wheel.
"What a difference a 'K' makes"

ms5keroid
Astra Model: K
Astra Options: Dynamic
Astra Colour: Deep Sky Blue

Post by ms5keroid » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:26 pm

What about something like this? Anyone got experience with this or similar protection methods?

http://bestride.com/news/technology/cle ... work-video

Our roads are terrible here, especially during the winter months (basically September - March) and full of stones and other crap and I'm afraid, if the quality is really that bad, car will look like crap after a year or two. But paint is not really covered by warranty, right? So something like a method from the link/video above might be something to consider...
1.4T 150PS, Deep Sky Blue Dynamic (UK SRi Nav) w/ IntelliLux LED. Ordered Jan 27th, Arrived Mar 15th, Collected Apr 4th 2017

Ivanzu

Post by Ivanzu » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:43 pm

You get 2 year warranty on everything except expendable materials.

somervillearron
Astra Model: 2016 astra k elite
Astra Options: everything
Astra Colour: power red

Post by somervillearron » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:31 am

well my car is now nearly 4 years old and the first year the paint chips where completely unreal! the ammount of them i have never seen the paint was extremely soft and lacked a shine also even when new.

i just thought id make a update to help anyone who is having the same issue i did,well i kept complaining to the dealer they where basically blaming my driving although not in so many words. eventually they agreed to have the chips repaired i was fine with that but the damage must have been too bad or maybe the paint job was bad in the first place but they agreed to do a complete respray on the car!

well over a month later i received my car back i was stuck with a corsa for the time being (i hated the corsa!)
the car returned to me and the paint was on a different level from what it was like! even better than when i drove th car off the forecourt the red had a much better shine and it was all in much deeper and so far i have done nearly 15k since the respray and i have had no chips! and the paint seems to be holding up very well indeed

SO ANYONE HAVING THE ISSUE I DID KEEP COMPLAINING AND AT THE LEAST YOU SHOULD GET THEM TO DO A PAINT CORRECTION AND AT BEST MAYBE EVEN A RESPRAY!

somervillearron
Astra Model: 2016 astra k elite
Astra Options: everything
Astra Colour: power red

Post by somervillearron » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:32 am

And i would reccomend a ceramic coating for the paint and waxing twice a week,so far its protected my new paint job very well!

nsanderson
Astra Model: 1.6T SRi 200 Nav
Astra Options: AGR seat, winter pack,parking sensors, spare wheel
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by nsanderson » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:50 pm

Didn't the initial Power Red have 2 coats of paint? I remember being the case on the J but wasn't sure if that carried over to the K?
1.6T (200) SRi Nav - Power Red, AGR seat, winter pack, parking sensors, spare wheel,