Swapping out the sim

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Crunchynut
Astra Model: Elite 1.6 diesel 136

Swapping out the sim

Post by Crunchynut » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:06 pm

It's been asked before but not answered (I don't think);

Where is the wi-fi sim stowed and can it be swapped out for a competitively priced easy to manage one?
Elite 1.6 CDTi 136ps Hatch

JJ-Yorks
Astra Model: 5-door SRi 1.0Turbo
Astra Colour: Power Red

Re: Swapping out the sim

Post by JJ-Yorks » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:45 pm

I don't think this is possible...wish it was as I can no longer get wifi as my 1 year free tri has now ended...the Vodafone website always says there has been an error whilst processing. But still take the money!! ..so stuff them I'm sticking with my mobile data which is fine for me but the kids are rather disappointed to say the least
1.0Turbo Power Red (130PS/205Nm Torque coming soon :D )

GrahamSL

Post by GrahamSL » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:20 pm

The Onstar module has an embedded SIM. It can't be swapped.

highflight
Astra Model: SRi 1.4 (150)
Astra Options: Parking Sensors
Astra Colour: Emerald Green

Post by highflight » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:58 pm

But you can point the car to look for different hotspots in the diagnostic settings. Not sure why you would want ot do this but the option is there. So your car could connect to your phone and then you could let the kids connect to the car.

GrahamSL

Post by GrahamSL » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:44 pm

highflight wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:58 pm
But you can point the car to look for different hotspots in the diagnostic settings. Not sure why you would want ot do this but the option is there. So your car could connect to your phone and then you could let the kids connect to the car.
It's so you can connect the infotainment system to the internet via something other than the car's built-in hotspot. This enables App Shop apps like Glympse and The Weather Channel to update etc without needing a data subscription specifically for the car.

What you've suggested in your last sentence isn't possible.

Crunchynut

Post by Crunchynut » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:30 pm

I've just bought this - a mi-fi hotspot device:-

TP-Link 4G LTE-Advanced Mobile Wi-Fi Router/Hotspot (Share Dual Band Wi-Fi with Upto 10 Devices, Long Lasting Battery, Easy to Use, Unlocked) Pokemon Go Ready (M7350) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PFXFWTQ/ ... szbZS0H9MB

And this - 12gb for 12 months :-

3 Mobile Pay As You Go Trio Data SIM Preloaded with 12 GB of Data https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CMD4VKC/ ... szbX4MAVQH

Since my data service on the phone isn't that great with the phone buried down at seat level.

I'll let you know how I get on.

highflight
Astra Model: SRi 1.4 (150)
Astra Options: Parking Sensors
Astra Colour: Emerald Green

Post by highflight » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:20 am

by GrahamSL » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:44 pm It's so you can connect the infotainment system to the internet via something other than the car's built-in hotspot. This enables App Shop apps like Glympse and The Weather Channel to update etc without needing a data subscription specifically for the car.

What you've suggested in your last sentence isn't possible.
Don't want to get into an argument of what you can and can't do. I also don't have time at the moment to go and re-run my experiment. But using diagnostic mode I moved the cars system to point at the wifi of my building which then allowed me to connect through the car (throught the building) to the internet. Fairly sure I also checked if it would connect to a wifi hotspot created on my phone which it did. However I only had my phone with me so couldn't check if I could connect another device through the car. By the look of the connection it was working.

Perhaps my car is special?

GrahamSL

Post by GrahamSL » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:38 pm

highflight wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:20 am

Don't want to get into an argument of what you can and can't do. I also don't have time at the moment to go and re-run my experiment. But using diagnostic mode I moved the cars system to point at the wifi of my building which then allowed me to connect through the car (throught the building) to the internet. Fairly sure I also checked if it would connect to a wifi hotspot created on my phone which it did. However I only had my phone with me so couldn't check if I could connect another device through the car. By the look of the connection it was working.

Perhaps my car is special?
Perhaps it is. Maybe it's a software version or a Navi 900/R4.0 difference.

On my car, no matter what wireless network the Intellilink unit is connected to, the OnStar hotspot uses cellular for data connectivity. The OnStar hotspot doesn't bridge to the network that the Intellilink unit is connected to.

Crunchynut

Post by Crunchynut » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:57 pm

I've now added a mi-fi device in place of the extortionate in car wi-fi. It cost £66 for the 4g device (one off cost of course) plus £24 for a 12GB 12month 4g sim (from '3').

It works really well. It wakes up the wi fi when I switch the ignition on (unless the battery is fully charged in which case I just have to wake it up by touching the standby button), and goes to sleep after the last connected device is out of range.

I fixed it to where the useless powerflex bar was (I can reinstate it all when I sell the car). The gloss black and Matt grey colouring matches the piano black dash, and matt black console buttons perfectly.

All in all, not too shabby, and so much cheaper than the Vodafone and onstar combo.

IMG_0876.JPG

jt123
Astra Model: 2016 - 1.6 CDTI SRi
Astra Options: Front & Rear Parking Sensors, Powerflex Bar
Astra Colour: Carbon Flash

Post by jt123 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:34 am

Crunchynut wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:57 pm
I've now added a mi-fi device in place of the extortionate in car wi-fi. It cost £66 for the 4g device (one off cost of course) plus £24 for a 12GB 12month 4g sim (from '3').

It works really well. It wakes up the wi fi when I switch the ignition on (unless the battery is fully charged in which case I just have to wake it up by touching the standby button), and goes to sleep after the last connected device is out of range.

I fixed it to where the useless powerflex bar was (I can reinstate it all when I sell the car). The gloss black and Matt grey colouring matches the piano black dash, and matt black console buttons perfectly.

All in all, not too shabby, and so much cheaper than the Vodafone and onstar combo.
Nice! Neat Job :D Where are you getting the ignition switched live from?

Return to “Main Astra K chat”