My new Astra

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
davidw
Astra Model: 1.6T Elite Nav
Astra Options: All except CD Player and Parking Pack
Astra Colour: Cosmic Grey

My new Astra

Post by davidw » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:43 pm

So, I picked up my new Astra on Saturday morning and have put about 240 miles on the clock already. So far I am absolutely loving it.

What I ordered:

Car: Astra K 5 door Hatchback
Trim: Elite Nav
Engine: 1.6 Turbo Petrol
Colour: Cosmic Grey

Options:
  • IntelliLux matrix LED headlight pack
  • Keyless entry and start
  • Drivers ergonomic sport seat pack
  • Front and rear parking sensors
  • Space saver spare wheel
  • Dark tinted rear windows
The Good Bits

The power from the 1.6T is instant with pulling power even in 6th gear. This engine, along with the headlights, was what made me choose an Astra over the Focus. The IntelliLux headlights work as they should and are very entertaining to watch working at night. I'm really pleased I went for keyless entry, purely because I think it is quite useful to have if your hands are full or if, like me, you are just very lazy. The parking sensors so far have been quite good, I didn't have them in the previous car so getting used to them may take some time. The infotainment system (Navi 900) is very, very nice to use. The display in the instrument cluster is really helpful, especially the speed display what with having a more powerful engine. Android Auto/Apple CarPlay are very nice to use, although I have only used Android Auto once which was on the way back from the dealer. Moving on to the seats, I went for the ergonomic seats which as someone who is 6'2" and has a f**ked up back, the extendable leg rest and adjustable lumbar support is a God send.

The Bad Bits

There are a few points which I have picked up on already that annoy me. Firstly, the paint quality. I know a lot of people have had this problem but I seem to have picked up a stone chip or alike which has gone through the clear coat by the looks of it so I will have to look at repairing that soon. Secondly, the visibility out of the rear passenger doors isn't great as the door sweeps up to join the glass on the 'C' pillar. Thirdly, this is small and slightly pedantic, I wish there were more cubby spaces.

What would I change?

Other than the cubby spaces, there isn't much I'd change about the car. I'd want it to come with two boot lights for one, I've got a second one on order so I should be fitting that soon and I'd choose the power seats, I did try to amend the order but unfortunately it was too late.

If you are looking to buy one and are struggling to choose options, etc. I would definitely recommend the IntelliLux headlights,I'd recommend the ergonomic/power seats and I'd recommend getting an SRI/Elite Nav purely for the infotainment system.

Overall, in the short time I have had this car, I have fallen in love with it. Would I recommend anyone buy one? Hell yeah I would!

As soon as I have given the car a proper wash, I'll get some pictures taken and posted.
Astra Hatchback Elite Nav |1.6i Turbo | 200 bhp | Cosmic Grey | Intellilux Matrix Headlights | Dark Rear Windows | Keyless Entry | Sports Seats (AGR - Approved) | Front and Rear Parking Sensors

Anupanu
Astra Model: Elite 1.6CDTi 110
Astra Options: Intellilux, Driver & Parking Pack, AGR Power Seats
Astra Colour: Emerald Green

Re: My new Astra

Post by Anupanu » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:43 pm

Good report Davidw

I chose a non Nav and haven't regretted it, but I did think keyless would have been useful.
I am pleased I chose the power seats though.
I am sorry you are not happy with your paintwork already
Had
5 Nova/Corsa
4 Astra, including current Elite in Emerald Green 1.6CDTi 110
4 Cavalier/Vectra/Insignia

Jeff16150
Astra Model: Elite Nav 1.4T 150 Automatic
Astra Options: Parking Pack, Sunroof & Spare Wheel
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by Jeff16150 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:52 pm

Good to hear from yet another happy K owner.

I have no issues with the paint, not a mark on it (yet) and the rear camera gets round the rear visibility problem when reversing. Ditch the junk if you don't have enough cubbies!

Mine's 'only' the 1.4T 150 but it is great mated to the auto box. 8 months old and still 'lovin'it'. :D
Summit White 1.4T 150 Elite Nav Automatic (Ordered 05.05.2016, Delivered 19.07.2016)
Parking Pack, Power Tilt & Slide Sunroof, Steel Emergency Spare Wheel.

davidw
Astra Model: 1.6T Elite Nav
Astra Options: All except CD Player and Parking Pack
Astra Colour: Cosmic Grey

Post by davidw » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:18 pm

Jeff16150 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:52 pm
I have no issues with the paint, not a mark on it (yet) and the rear camera gets round the rear visibility problem when reversing. Ditch the junk if you don't have enough cubbies!
Unfortunately it's things like a torch, or LED lights so not things I can just ditch. I liked having a torch within my reach in my previous car just in case. I also have some Powerflare LEDs which I used to store under my passenger seat however I now have 2 in the glovebox and 2 in the boot with the spare wheel.
Astra Hatchback Elite Nav |1.6i Turbo | 200 bhp | Cosmic Grey | Intellilux Matrix Headlights | Dark Rear Windows | Keyless Entry | Sports Seats (AGR - Approved) | Front and Rear Parking Sensors

ms5keroid
Astra Model: K
Astra Options: Dynamic
Astra Colour: Deep Sky Blue

Post by ms5keroid » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:54 pm

Great review davidw, very well formulated too. Thanks for sharing, it's really good to read threads like this since they aren't posted as often. :)
1.4T 150PS, Deep Sky Blue Dynamic (UK SRi Nav) w/ IntelliLux LED. Ordered Jan 27th, Arrived Mar 15th, Collected Apr 4th

cooldad
Astra Model: 1.6 SRi Turbo 200PS
Astra Options: 18" Alloys + IntelliLux LED Matrix Headlights
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by cooldad » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:11 am

Thanks for the comprehensive review, David!

Like Anupanu, I chose not to have the Nav version. I have a separate TomTom device, which doesn't look pretty on the dashboard, admittedly, but I can transfer it relatively seamlessly to my partner's car, to my son's car or, indeed, to a hire car abroad, for example.

I agree with you about the paintwork. As I've said elsewhere on the forum, I'm so pleased I took out separate cosmetic insurance when I bought my 'K'. I've used it once and am about to invoke it again (rear of car scratched by a shopping trolley, I think), but the paintwork really shouldn't get damaged quite so easily.

The 'Intellilux' are truly wonderful, one of the best features on the car and they work as claimed. What's more unreliable, however, is when they turn on and off automatically and this is also true of my engine auto start / stop, which I've mentioned on here too.

Anyway, happy driving! :) :)
Astra 1.6 SRi Turbo 200 PS / 150 kW, Power Red.
'Intellilux' headlights, 18 in / 45 cm bi-colour alloys, driving assistance pack, advanced parking pack.

Johnny86
Astra Model: 1.4T Hatchback 6 speed auto
Astra Colour: Coconut Brown (Dark Caramel)

Post by Johnny86 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:06 am

Say is it possible to give a high quality repaint like Mercedes standards?

Return to “Main Astra K chat”