Hill start assist?

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
fryrpc
Astra Model: Sports Tourer 1.6CDTi BiTurbo 160 Elite Nav
Astra Options: IntelliLux and Parking Pack
Astra Colour: Emerald Green

Re: Hill start assist?

Post by fryrpc » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:50 pm

I always put the electronic handbrake on now and use the clutch and accelerator to disengage the handbrake as I am setting off. More reliable technique to get used to than the hill start which seems to need quite a steep incline to activate.
Emerald Green Sports Tourer 1.6CDTi BiTurbo 160 Elite Nav with IntelliLux and Parking Pack - delivered 18/05/16

S7ewie

Post by S7ewie » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:52 pm

I have the manual handbrake (with hill start assist). So yeah I could just use the handbrake normally for a hill start but if it has the feature why not use it? But if it's that unreliable I might as well just pretend it doesn't exist, because I can only do one or the other.

Buzypea
Astra Model: Elite Nav 200
Astra Colour: Emerald Green

Post by Buzypea » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:53 pm

+1 I also noticed my hill start assist doesn't work every time, though it doesn't really bother me to be honest, I think because it's a lease car the tiny faults don't seem to matter. I also noticed the doors holding water his morning, it was peeing out for ages from both front doors. Had I bought the Astra for a long term keeper, then I'd probably be taking it back to the dealers to complain. One of the bonuses of leasing I suppose, without sounding too selfish - in 2 years time they'll be someone else's problems and I'll hopefully be in another new car.
1.6T 200ps Elite Nav Emerald Green

GrimReaper
Astra Model: 1.6T 200 Dynamic
Astra Options: iLux, navi, dual climate, keyless, sport seat
Astra Colour: Sovereign Silver

Post by GrimReaper » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:51 pm

I have major problems with starting on a hill too.
Where I usually drive to work, they started road repair, which will take until 31st of October.
So I have to go in opposite direction, and in afternoon, I have a stop sign right on the top of the incline.

Yesterday was 23rd time, and the car rolled back the second time.
What I already know:
1. Incline needs to be steep enough, and it is.
2. You have to press the brake as hard as you can. I don't actually know this for sure, it's just common sense to me.
2. You have to press the brake for at least 2s. I also don't know this for sure, but the first time the car rolled back I only pressed it for 1s.
Although yesterday I had it pressed for at least 15s, as I had to wait for a car to go by, and the car rolled back anyway.

So I have to find a traffic free incline and try things out.

If this won't work, I also have an electronic parking brake. This will also need some practice.
I used it 2 times already. First time it didn't let go by itself and I had to press the button.
Second time the car rolled back.

It's no problem if the car roles back by only 10 cm, but people are stupid and think everyone knows how to take off up on a hill and stop right behind your bumper, it happened in all 3 cases my car rolled back.
Maybe they leave 1 meter of space, although it doesn't seem when I look back. And that is also not enough for me to not worry.
I usually leave 3-5 meters or a car's length.

And what is most irritable, I needed 5-8 years to properly learn to use the handbrake, as I rarely had to use it, and now I am back to square one.
Before it was all sorts of things, 4000rpm or too little gas and the engine died. I also remember first year (I'm now starting year 11), there was a traffic jam, and a hill upfront. I was so scared I wouldn't know how to take off (and I didn't, at least with handbrake), I let myself enough space in front and I crawled in 1st gear so I wouldn't have to stop the car.
Astra K 1.6T 200 Dynamic

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Post by Redman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:29 pm

GrimReaper wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:51 pm
I have major problems with starting on a hill too.
Where I usually drive to work, they started road repair, which will take until 31st of October.
So I have to go in opposite direction, and in afternoon, I have a stop sign right on the top of the incline.

Yesterday was 23rd time, and the car rolled back the second time.
What I already know:
1. Incline needs to be steep enough, and it is.
2. You have to press the brake as hard as you can. I don't actually know this for sure, it's just common sense to me.
2. You have to press the brake for at least 2s. I also don't know this for sure, but the first time the car rolled back I only pressed it for 1s.
Although yesterday I had it pressed for at least 15s, as I had to wait for a car to go by, and the car rolled back anyway.

So I have to find a traffic free incline and try things out.

If this won't work, I also have an electronic parking brake. This will also need some practice.
I used it 2 times already. First time it didn't let go by itself and I had to press the button.
Second time the car rolled back.

It's no problem if the car roles back by only 10 cm, but people are stupid and think everyone knows how to take off up on a hill and stop right behind your bumper, it happened in all 3 cases my car rolled back.
Maybe they leave 1 meter of space, although it doesn't seem when I look back. And that is also not enough for me to not worry.
I usually leave 3-5 meters or a car's length.

And what is most irritable, I needed 5-8 years to properly learn to use the handbrake, as I rarely had to use it, and now I am back to square one.
Before it was all sorts of things, 4000rpm or too little gas and the engine died. I also remember first year (I'm now starting year 11), there was a traffic jam, and a hill upfront. I was so scared I wouldn't know how to take off (and I didn't, at least with handbrake), I let myself enough space in front and I crawled in 1st gear so I wouldn't have to stop the car.

Hi
The things to get used to here are remembering hill start assist and electronic handbrake are seperate systems. Practice, when you are on a hill that you know will bring the HSA on, also pull the switch for the electric handbrake. Take your foot off the brake pedal and after a couple of seconds you will feel the HSA come off as the car sways backwards and the electronic handbrake holds the car. Then just drive off.
I do think the car should display when hill start assist is active, but it doesn't. If you are unsure the HSA will operate use the hand brake and just pull away.
The previous astra j I had was terrible for HSA, stalled the car a fair few times. They recalled it for a HSA update

Markkelsall
Astra Model: SRI CDTI 1.6 136
Astra Options: Nothing ... Adding them...
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by Markkelsall » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:05 am

Mine doesn't work at all?? worked perfectly on the J wonder what has changed, when it goes in for a service I will ask

BRUCE225
Astra Model: ASTRA SRI VX-LINE NAV
Astra Colour: DEEP SKY BLUE

Post by BRUCE225 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:53 am

Mine works but it has to be a steep incline......I drive lots of other vehicles and they hold on a lot less.

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Post by Redman » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:17 pm

BRUCE225 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:53 am
Mine works but it has to be a steep incline......I drive lots of other vehicles and they hold on a lot less.
Mine also has to be on a steep incline before it comes on . It seems to be a guessing game as to whether it is on or off on some inclines, so why don't vx incorporate a dash indicator. Even have the indication driver selectable on/off. Simples vx

moleyjoel
Astra Model: Elite Nav 1.6t (200) MY17.5
Astra Options: Intellilux, 18” Bi-Colour, Parking Pack, AGR Seats
Astra Colour: Mineral Black

Post by moleyjoel » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:34 pm

Redman wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:17 pm
BRUCE225 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:53 am
Mine also has to be on a steep incline before it comes on . It seems to be a guessing game as to whether it is on or off on some inclines, so why don't vx incorporate a dash indicator. Even have the indication driver selectable on/off. Simples vx
Agree, it’s something so small but would benefit nearly everyone!
Elite Nav 1.6t (200) Mineral Black MY17.5
Intellilux LED, 18” Bi-Colour Alloys, Advanced Parking Pack, AGR Sport Seats

namod

Post by namod » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:37 pm

Have been reading all these posts with interest as I have just bought an Astra SRI 1.4 with electronic handbrake.
Having the same problems with rolling back, getting really nervous of getting caught on hills.

Could someone please tell me how steep an incline do you need for HSA to activate?

Have tried using the HSA by putting into 1st then taking foot off brake onto accelerator whilst bringing up the clutch. Still rolls back.

Tried using the Drive Away Function worked once, other times rolls back.

I saw the suggestion of using the electric handbrake in much the same way as a manual handbrake, hold it on then release as you drive away. Wouldn't that be the same as the using the Drive Away Function?

Have lots of steep inclines around and can't avoid them, unfortunately not able to find one on a quiet road, that doesn't have cars parked to practice on!
Everytime I go out I dread anyone coming up behind me, let alone getting caught going up a multi storey car park in a queue.
It's spoiling driving the car.

Grateful for any help, even wrote to Vauxhall their only suggestion was to go to the dealer but they could only suggest using the DAF!

Return to “Main Astra K chat”