sports mode

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
mscott4

sports mode

Post by mscott4 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:41 am

does sports mode use for fuel than normal mode?
why cant you have your car set to sports mode all the time? each time you start the car you have to switch it on

astra 1.4i turbo 150 SRI

highflight
Astra Model: SRi 1.4 (150)
Astra Options: Parking Sensors
Astra Colour: Emerald Green

Re: sports mode

Post by highflight » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:25 am

Sports mode off at start as the emissions and fuel economy would be awful. It only uses more fuel if you're accelerating. Once in a steady cruise I find it the same as normal. Sport Mode = more boost and stiffer steering.

MBeckUK
Astra Model: SRi Nav 1.4T (150 PS)
Astra Colour: Deep Sky Blue

Post by MBeckUK » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:42 am

highflight wrote:Sports mode off at start as the emissions and fuel economy would be awful. It only uses more fuel if you're accelerating. Once in a steady cruise I find it the same as normal. Sport Mode = more boost and stiffer steering.
I'd agree with that - the Sports mode doesn't give you more engine power, it just seems to adjust things so that it responds more readily to pressure on the accelerator pedal. If you're driving round town with a lot of stop/starts you'll probably end up using more fuel as you'll likely end up revving more highly, but on a normal cruise the economy is the same (I tested it once on a 200 mile motorway drive and got similar economy to what I'd normally get, and any difference can probably be accounted for by environmental factors such wind, etc.).
1.4T (150 PS) SRi Nav - Deep Sky Blue. No options.

JJ-Yorks
Astra Model: 5-door SRi 1.0Turbo
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by JJ-Yorks » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:23 pm

If you live in a hilly area like me then you will find the car uses less fuel with it switched on
1.0Turbo Power Red (130PS/205Nm Torque :D )

SwissTJ

Post by SwissTJ » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:54 am

highflight wrote:... Sport Mode = more boost and stiffer steering.
As has been said many, many times on here, the Sports button does not release untold amounts of extra power, it just makes what's already there more readily accessible. The steering is also made more 'sporty' - or heavier in non-marketing speak.

Compared to the ordinary 1.6 (136) CDTi the sport button on my BiTurbo has an even more marked effect.
Views are my own

MBeckUK
Astra Model: SRi Nav 1.4T (150 PS)
Astra Colour: Deep Sky Blue

Post by MBeckUK » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:15 pm

SwissTJ wrote:
highflight wrote:... Sport Mode = more boost and stiffer steering.
As has been said many, many times on here, the Sports button does not release untold amounts of extra power, it just makes what's already there more readily accessible. The steering is also made more 'sporty' - or heavier in non-marketing speak.

Compared to the ordinary 1.6 (136) CDTi the sport button on my BiTurbo has an even more marked effect.
You're right that's there no more boost, but it sure a heck feels like it. :) I suppose the best description would be "more immediate boost".
1.4T (150 PS) SRi Nav - Deep Sky Blue. No options.

Anupanu
Astra Model: Elite 1.6CDTi 110
Astra Options: Intellilux, Driver & Parking Pack, AGR Power Seats
Astra Colour: Emerald Green

Post by Anupanu » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:38 pm

I guess it is not so much as more boost, but boost sooner. Very much like Alfa's DNA
Had
5 Nova/Corsa
4 Astra, including current Elite in Emerald Green 1.6CDTi 110
4 Cavalier/Vectra/Insignia ST
Scotia Grey Discovery Sport HSE Lux

M1chaelR
Astra Model: SRi 1.4 Turbo Auto
Astra Options: Winter pack, Front and rear parking sensors
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by M1chaelR » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:07 pm

The delivery of power feels more linear in Sport mode as well I think
SRi 1.4 Turbo (150) Auto in Summit White. Parking sensors and Winter Pack

GrimReaper
Astra Model: 1.6T 200 Dynamic
Astra Options: iLux, navi, dual climate, keyless, sport seat
Astra Colour: Sovereign Silver

Post by GrimReaper » Wed May 24, 2017 5:18 pm

Anupanu wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:38 pm
I guess it is not so much as more boost, but boost sooner. Very much like Alfa's DNA
I hope it will be like Alfa (I have Astra 1.6T Dynamic/SRi on order), my Mito 1.4T 135 was almost perfect above 2000rpm, immediate throttle response and no turbo lag in Dynamic mode. In mid range rpm's (2-5k) it drove better than my current Clio 3 RS 2.0 197, and in Normal mode it was almost the same as 2.0 NA.
It almost drove itself when I put it in Dynamic mode, 10% throttle and way it went. I have to really push the Clio to get something out of it, it needs at least 5000rpm to feel as live as Mito at 3000.
But under 2000rpm it was completely dead, even 1st gear didn't help. I also noticed that with 2.0 TDI I drove recently, completely dead at low speed, mostly noticable before roundabouts. So far Clio is the king of roundabouts, it really kills them.
But going out of roundabouts, you could really feel the pull with Mito in 2nd gear, whereas in Clio even 1st gear is not enough to make the same pull.

So all in all both good cars, but none perfect, I expect Astra 1.6T to be the best of both worlds.
It's engine capacity should be big enough for it to have a good low end, as I also had an Astra H 1.6 105, and it wasn't any worse than 2.0 from 1000 to 2000rpm.

I test drove an Astra 1.4T 125 and 150 without sport button and they were shit, I measured 1,3-1,5s turbo lag, Mito had 0,2s at most, it was so low I couldn't even measure it.
But I don't think a sport button can solve that, Mito's low lag was probably more due to the MultiAir technology.

I will sure come back here when I get it and make a comparison with Alfa's DNA and also engine comparison. It is only 1 year when I sold the Alfa, so I should still remember how it felt.
Astra K 1.6T 200 Dynamic

Moby2002

Post by Moby2002 » Wed May 24, 2017 5:35 pm

Sport mode solves a lot of problems...on 1.6 turbo, petrol...sport mode on/off makes a lot of difference...a LOT of difference.
Like having 2 different cars
Astra 1.6 turbo, 200ks

Return to “Main Astra K chat”