Another rattle fixed - boot liner and instrument panel

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Crunchynut
Astra Model: Elite 1.6 diesel 136

Another rattle fixed - boot liner and instrument panel

Post by Crunchynut » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:48 pm

Since Pacmania has been quiet for a few days I thought I'd grumble about "rattles and squeaks" without being accused of whinging :D

One - rattle from rear of car, seemingly from parcel shelf. Found to be the plastic panel that lines the boot lid, that was rattling on the glass. Fixed by placing a bit of rubber at 6" intervals to hold the panel off the glass.

Two - rattle seeming to come from instrument cluster, goes away if you press on the information display in the top right hand corner. Fixed by inserting a tiny piece of rubber between display and bezel.
Elite 1.6 CDTi 136ps Hatch

M1chaelR
Astra Model: SRi 1.4 Turbo Auto
Astra Options: Winter pack, Front and rear parking sensors
Astra Colour: Summit White

Re: Another rattle fixed - boot liner and instrument panel

Post by M1chaelR » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:57 pm

Crunchynut wrote:Since Pacmania has been quiet for a few days I thought I'd grumble about "rattles and squeaks" without being accused of whinging :D

One - rattle from rear of car, seemingly from parcel shelf. Found to be the plastic panel that lines the boot lid, that was rattling on the glass. Fixed by placing a bit of rubber at 6" intervals to hold the panel off the glass.

Two - rattle seeming to come from instrument cluster, goes away if you press on the information display in the top right hand corner. Fixed by inserting a tiny piece of rubber between display and bezel.
Nice one, two of my main rattles! Was the rattle from the boot more of a cracking noise on rough roads and on a camber etc?
SRi 1.4 Turbo (150) Auto in Summit White. Parking sensors and Winter Pack

AdieMcc
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4T 150
Astra Options: Reversing sensors
Astra Colour: Black

Post by AdieMcc » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:32 pm

I've got a rattle over rough roads. Coming from the back. Hopefully this will do the trick, nice one.
Astra K 1.4T 150 Nav. Black,18" wheels, sensors front/back, heated seats/steering wheel, shark fin aerial, washed every 2 days :D

M1chaelR

Post by M1chaelR » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:50 pm

Are you also able to post a picture of where you've placed the rubber? Would be appreciated, thanks

Crunchynut

Post by Crunchynut » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:32 pm

M1chaelR wrote:
Crunchynut wrote:
Nice one, two of my main rattles! Was the rattle from the boot more of a cracking noise on rough roads and on a camber etc?
No mate - more a knocking in response to every bump in the road. It wouldn't always do it .... just when the rate of bumping was right!

It's worth just squeezing a duster in the gap temporarily so there's no chance of contact and see if it goes away.

M1chaelR

Post by M1chaelR » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:33 pm

Cool, thanks I'll give it a go. It's driving me mad!

Crunchynut

Post by Crunchynut » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:37 pm

M1chaelR wrote:Are you also able to post a picture of where you've placed the rubber? Would be appreciated, thanks
I could do but you might lose interest by the time I get round to it! I'll describe it a bit better:-

From where the boot lid is hinged, down to the glass is a plastic panel. The panel just butts up to the glass and it rattles against it. It's quite easy to prize it away from the glass with your fingers. Just insert something in this gap so the plastic doesn't contact the glass.

M1chaelR

Post by M1chaelR » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:42 pm

Crunchynut wrote:
M1chaelR wrote:Are you also able to post a picture of where you've placed the rubber? Would be appreciated, thanks
I could do but you might lose interest by the time I get round to it! I'll describe it a bit better:-

From where the boot lid is hinged, down to the glass is a plastic panel. The panel just butts up to the glass and it rattles against it. It's quite easy to prize it away from the glass with your fingers. Just insert something in this gap so the plastic doesn't contact the glass.
Haha no problem, that's great, thanks. I know the one. Good job I've got a day off tomorrow to have a go at it.

M1chaelR

Post by M1chaelR » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:41 pm

Fortunately there's no rattle against the glass for me (hope the car isn't reading this) but I did solve the noise I've been having by adjusting the stops that sit on the plastic discs when the boot is closed.

A little trial and error still required to get the right adjustment but this is the culprit for a creaking/flexing noise from the boot:

IMG_20170111_201911.jpg

Crunchynut

Post by Crunchynut » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:41 pm

M1chaelR wrote:Fortunately there's no rattle against the glass for me (hope the car isn't reading this) but I did solve the noise I've been having by adjusting the stops that sit on the plastic discs when the boot is closed.

A little trial and error still required to get the right adjustment but this is the culprit for a creaking/flexing noise from the boot:
IMG_20170111_201911.jpg
Good that you solved your problem with the rubber buffers,

Just back to the plastic panel - was yours hard against the glass so it couldn't bang, or so far from it it couldn't reach? I'm just interested.

Return to “Main Astra K chat”