Auto lights disabling

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Alanw
Astra Model: Sports tourer 1.6t
Astra Options: Ergonomic seats,mudflaps,spare wheel
Astra Colour: Power red

Auto lights disabling

Post by Alanw » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:40 pm

Does anyone know if it is possible to switch off this awful auto lighting function as i find it worse than useless as once they are activated in daylight i cannot read the screens as they have dimmed to night mode.i cant see anything in the manual thanks.
Power red 1.6t 200 sri nav. sports tourer, agr seats, spare wheel,mudflaps.

Paulch
Astra Model: SRi Nav 1.6T (200PS)
Astra Options: Parking pack, climate control, spare wheel, towbar
Astra Colour: Power Red

Re: Auto lights disabling

Post by Paulch » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:39 pm

Alanw wrote:Does anyone know if it is possible to switch off this awful auto lighting function as i find it worse than useless as once they are activated in daylight i cannot read the screens as they have dimmed to night mode.i cant see anything in the manual thanks.
Hi

You can set the screens to permanent day if you have the NAV version not sure about the non NAV one which will stop it going into night mode. Downside is then it is very bright at night unless you manually change it to night mode. Page 28 & 46 of the Infotainment manual.

You can only switch the lights from AUTO to either sidelights (DRL) or ON there is no OFF as such.

Cheers

Paul
SRI Nav 1.6T (200). Parking pack, Climate control, spare wheel and towbar. Power Red.

mattonecz
Astra Model: Enjoy 1.4T 125
Astra Options: front and rear park. sensors, dual clima
Astra Colour: white

Post by mattonecz » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:57 pm

even if you set the lights to on the dashboard wil dim according to the senzor. and i dont think you can force day brightness on non nav(which i have)
1.4T 92kW, Enjoy - Dual AC, front and rear park sensors, 17"
EDS Phase 1 180PS/290NM

gadgetgaz
Astra Model: SRi nav 150
Astra Options: 18"; Tints, Intellilux, AGR, Keyless, parking,....
Astra Colour: white

Post by gadgetgaz » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:56 pm

Alanw wrote:Does anyone know if it is possible to switch off this awful auto lighting function as i find it worse than useless as once they are activated in daylight i cannot read the screens as they have dimmed to night mode.i cant see anything in the manual thanks.
I feel your pain as I get very annoyed by this. Yesterday I drove 40 miles in beautiful, bright midday sun, not a cloud in the sky. The headlights were on throughout the entire journey and thus both displays were in night mode. With the sun shining on them they were difficult to read. I got my wife to take a video so I can show it to my dealer again the next time it's in.
Usually, this only happens in the morning or evening when the sun is low in the sky but this was clearly not the case yesterday.
Astra SRi 1.4T (150), White, 18" alloys, Tints, Intellilux, AGR seat, Keyless, Winter pack, Tow pack, Parking pack, Climate Control, Flexbar, Smartphone Holder

davie24

Post by davie24 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:51 pm

Similar story here. Drove a fair bit in beautiful sun shine and the headlights were constantly on. Other motorists must have thought I was mad.
Astra 1.4 150bhp Sports Tourer SRi 66 plate
Lava Red
Parking sensors front and rear.

albany
Astra Model: Tech line 1.4 125ps
Astra Options: space saver spare wheel
Astra Colour: Emerald Green

Post by albany » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:29 pm

Well I know its annoying do as I do and turn them off.
Tech Line 1.4t 125ps Emerald Green, space saver wheel.

cornishtaz

Post by cornishtaz » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:43 pm

You can change the brightness of the display using the adjuster on the headlight switch

cooldad
Astra Model: 1.6 SRi Turbo 200PS
Astra Options: 18" Alloys + IntelliLux LED Matrix Headlights

Post by cooldad » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:00 pm

davie24 wrote:Similar story here. Drove a fair bit in beautiful sun shine and the headlights were constantly on. Other motorists must have thought I was mad.
Yep. me too!

Drove a quarter of the way round the M25 yesterday morning, the auto function switched the headlights on through the Dartford Tunnel and they stayed on all the way to Jct 23 (S Mimms), even though there was bright (albeit low) sunshine practically all the way :o :shock: :? :cry: :x

Has anyone had the software firmware update for the 'Intellilux'? If so, does this cure the problem? 8-) 8-)
Astra 1.6 SRi Turbo 200 PS / 150 kW, Power Red.
'Intellilux' headlights, 18 in / 45 cm bi-colour alloys, driving assistance pack, advanced parking pack.

Sri150

Post by Sri150 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:18 pm

Same problem here with the "auto" light function - the dipped beam comes on and stays on in normal bright day light - so annoying.

One thing I have noticed once though, I pulled over and turned the car off, back on again, and the dipped beam didn't come on.... It seems that the camera and or sensor that controls the lights is a bit too sensitive.... Surely Vauxhall must take note of this and do something...

I don't know why on earth there isn't an "OFF" option on the light switch to completely turn them off and only have the DRL, then you could use the auto setting as an option and not be forced to use it because on auto, the lights are so temperamental.

This is the only thing I dislike about the car

cooldad
Astra Model: 1.6 SRi Turbo 200PS
Astra Options: 18" Alloys + IntelliLux LED Matrix Headlights

Post by cooldad » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:27 pm

Sri150 wrote: I don't know why on earth there isn't an "OFF" option on the light switch to completely turn them off and only have the DRL, then you could use the auto setting as an option and not be forced to use it because on auto, the lights are so temperamental.

This is the only thing I dislike about the car
Exactly - couldn't agree more!

Unfortunately, when you manually turn on sidelights, the DRLs dim appreciably. If they remained bright (as on many cars), these would be more than adequate to ensure the car's visibility well in to dusk. In an urban area where I live, you don't often require socking great bright 'Intellilux' or even ordinary headlights when you're driving around. In fact, I think in those circumstances they're too bright, especially when reflected from a wet road!
Astra 1.6 SRi Turbo 200 PS / 150 kW, Power Red.
'Intellilux' headlights, 18 in / 45 cm bi-colour alloys, driving assistance pack, advanced parking pack.

Return to “Main Astra K chat”