How's your astra in the snow?

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
Dannyruss1
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4 Energy 100hp 5 door
Astra Options: On Star
Astra Colour: Power Red

Re: How's your astra in the snow?

Post by Dannyruss1 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:33 pm

Terrible with the factory fit michelin. I have resorted to turning off traction control and pulling in a higher gear when i was stuck and got going OK. There are big ridges in the tyres which seem to fill with snow. I think with winter tyres it would be better. I tend to leave it at home.

iavorid
Astra Model: MY2018 1.4T 150 AT6 ST Innovation
Astra Options: Navi 900, WP1, Rear cam, Versitility pack, keyless
Astra Colour: Cosmic Grey

Post by iavorid » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:23 am

ipettkov wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:28 pm
T.J wrote:
regodulaz wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:54 pm
You guys are trying to drive with summer tires on snow and blaming the car for falling. Are you for real?
Can't speak for the other posters but in my case I'm not blaming the car / tyres for failing as such - never expected it be unstoppable in the snow but was surprised at how easy it was to lose traction compared to other cars with summer tyres i've driven in similar conditions. Might be tyres, car, wrong type of snow or fish in the atmosphere, who knows but for whatever reason the Astra struggled where other past driven cars didn't
It's also because it ia much lighter than other cars. But notice how easy is to gain back the control. With heavier cars it's tge opposite. Harder to lose much harder to recover once you've lost it. That's my observation coming from heavier cars.
And isn't this the bare truth! Agreed ;)
1.4T 150 AT6 ST Innovation in Cosmic Grey

EvilScotsman
Astra Model: 1.6T 200 SRI Nav
Astra Options: 18' Bi-Colour Alloys, Winter Pack, Privacy Tints

Post by EvilScotsman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:17 am

Found my 1.6T drives better in reverse in the snow compared to driving forwards. Though, I'm running summer tyres (Goodyear Eagle F1s) which aren't really for use in snow. Problem with the 1.6T I find is even when you're very gentle on the throttle, it has a tendency to spin it's front wheel at any chance it can get. Always been the problem with high torque Astras though, even get wheel spin when I'm accelerating hard in second or third gear on a dry day.
Astra 1.6 SRi Nav Turbo 200PS, Power Red.
18" bi-colour alloys, driving assistance pack, parking pack sensors, privacy glass, ergonomic seats, mud-flaps, S/S pedals, S/S door sills.

ipettkov
Astra Model: Astra K 1.6T AT 2018
Astra Options: Winter 2, AGR, Nav, LED, OPC interior pack, P pack
Astra Colour: Cosmic Grey

Post by ipettkov » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:35 am

Yes, because they lack limitted slip differentials.
Astra K 1.6T AT
17" Alloys, Winter 2 pack, OPC interior pack( perforated steering wheel, aluminim pedals, sports mode & black ceiling),AGR semi-electric, Parking pack( rear cam,BSP), IntelliNav with Matrix LED Headlights

cpr0305

Post by cpr0305 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:58 pm

Had an absolute nightmare today in the snow!! Would not move!! Just wheel spinning no matter what, had to be pushed about 10 times and in the end gave up and parked it!!! Michelin Primacy 4’s not good!!

JJ-Yorks
Astra Model: 5-door SRi 1.0Turbo

Post by JJ-Yorks » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:03 pm

Ploughs through the stuff and handles well! No issues up or down snow covered hills...running on crossclimates, can’t fault them!
1.0Turbo Power Red (130PS/225Nm Torque :D )

gtis
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4T 150 elite nav sport tourer
Astra Options: Front/rear parking sensors
Astra Colour: Lava red

Post by gtis » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:10 pm

Hi
Mines got the standard tyres on can’t remember
What they are they are rubbish
Got about 2 miles down the road to go shopping
Turned around and came home
Neil
68 plate 1.4t sports tourer lava red

nsanderson
Astra Model: 1.6T SRi 200 Nav
Astra Options: AGR seat, winter pack,parking sensors, spare wheel

Post by nsanderson » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:57 am

cpr0305 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:58 pm
Had an absolute nightmare today in the snow!! Would not move!! Just wheel spinning no matter what, had to be pushed about 10 times and in the end gave up and parked it!!! Michelin Primacy 4’s not good!!
I had the same situation with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy3 tyres. Completely out of their depth in snowy and icy conditions, which is weird considering how capable the Asy2 tyres were on an Astra H.

Astra K has been running on CrossClimate+ tyres ever since and they work so well in all conditions.

If new tyres aren't an option, I always have a set of these in the boot:
https://www.autosock.co.uk/
1.6T (200) SRi Nav - Power Red, AGR seat, winter pack, parking sensors, spare wheel,

880PEL
Astra Model: OPC-line 1,6T Automatic

Post by 880PEL » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:28 pm

I have Michenlin all season tires 225/40R18
Around 0 degrees with wet snow 225mm is too wide for Astra´s weight. Can´t cruise around relaxed 100km/h.

Currently it´s -12 degrees and it´s all perfect! 8-) Car is agile, grip is great. ESP and TC work well.

24/mk 7
Astra Model: 1.6t 200s/s
Astra Colour: Granite grey

Post by 24/mk 7 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:17 pm

Got to agree I love my wee motor but the snow causes problems ,went from turanzas to Yokohamas to try to alter damp condition accelerating and grip in snow HAH!!!! Crap..so changed back to two new turanzas a fortnight ago Double crap....... was reduced to reversing out my lockup and up the two inclines to the street ,conclusion if still have car next winter cross climates are getting purchased or fill the wings with concrete or buy back one of my old vectra 2.2 directs UNSTOPPABLE......