All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
danx55
Astra Model: 1.4.t 150 sri nav
Astra Options: sport mode ;)
Astra Colour: power red..i think

Re: Astra K - Positives!

Post by danx55 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:00 pm

hi - yes that is true - i do like a grumble :/ :D

....but i DO like my sri .... its a nice drive around town and also on a longer drive too

REALLY like the stereo and its BT conneciton ... plus nav is good to i find

cheers

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:41 pm

Matt9817 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:32 pm
The K uses a combination of Hough transform and Canny edge detection to detect the lane lines, in most cases the black tar and white lines look identical when the images are processed. It's a Bosch system too, used in many cars. It's not specific to the Astra as an F Pace I also drive has the same assist system albeit with dual cameras and it still detects the filling material in the middle of the road. Lane assist also is working before you get to the lines. You can feel it pull as you go round a corner sometimes, I find it very good and a useful feature to have.

As with the emergency braking collision thingy, it primes the brakes so as soon as you touch it applies full force which vastly reduces the chances of a collision, or mitigates the damage done.
Haven't seen it brake for me yet!!
I agree about the lane assist being able to steer before you reach the lines.

If you get to a point where it detects that you are about to depart your lane in an angle steeper than the software allows the system to correct when it gets to the line, it will kick in sooner to make it possible to keep the lane witin the limits of the steering angle it is allowed to do.

I have tried provoking my anti collision and can easily have the system flash and beep, but i have never had it actually brake for me either.

In the video here, the guy who uploaded the video claims that this is a fully automated braking, done by the car itself and from the questions you can see that this is not a car with radar.

I dont know if i believe the uploader, as i feel like i have put my system through much worse without any brake intervention.

2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

AC2019
Astra Model: Astra SRi NAV 1.6 CDTI (136)
Astra Options: 18" Bi-Colour Alloys, Driving Asistance Pack.
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by AC2019 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:41 pm

astraowner wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:41 pm
Matt9817 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:32 pm
The K uses a combination of Hough transform and Canny edge detection to detect the lane lines, in most cases the black tar and white lines look identical when the images are processed. It's a Bosch system too, used in many cars. It's not specific to the Astra as an F Pace I also drive has the same assist system albeit with dual cameras and it still detects the filling material in the middle of the road. Lane assist also is working before you get to the lines. You can feel it pull as you go round a corner sometimes, I find it very good and a useful feature to have.

As with the emergency braking collision thingy, it primes the brakes so as soon as you touch it applies full force which vastly reduces the chances of a collision, or mitigates the damage done.
Haven't seen it brake for me yet!!
I agree about the lane assist being able to steer before you reach the lines.

If you get to a point where it detects that you are about to depart your lane in an angle steeper than the software allows the system to correct when it gets to the line, it will kick in sooner to make it possible to keep the lane witin the limits of the steering angle it is allowed to do.

I have tried provoking my anti collision and can easily have the system flash and beep, but i have never had it actually brake for me either.

In the video here, the guy who uploaded the video claims that this is a fully automated braking, done by the car itself and from the questions you can see that this is not a car with radar.

I dont know if i believe the uploader, as i feel like i have put my system through much worse without any brake intervention.

I can actually vouch for the collision alert. It seems to be a system you cant trick. I've had it brake when I was at a set of traffic lights and the car in front decided he was gonna be a dick and not go forward but try and get into the right hand land. Obviously I thought he went put car in 1st and about to put in 2nd and on came collision alert. Literally slams on brakes. First thing I said was... oh it does work then!
Vx Astra SRi NAV 1.6 CDTi (136). Summit white. 18" Bi-Colour Alloys, Driving Assitance Pack. Light and Sight Pack. Plated 2016. Owner for 2years. Mileage (25k/yr)

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:18 pm

AC2019 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:41 pm
I can actually vouch for the collision alert. It seems to be a system you cant trick. I've had it brake when I was at a set of traffic lights and the car in front decided he was gonna be a dick and not go forward but try and get into the right hand land. Obviously I thought he went put car in 1st and about to put in 2nd and on came collision alert. Literally slams on brakes. First thing I said was... oh it does work then!
Yeah, its probably just me, not having the stomack to let it do it.

I Have seen a test though, where they used an inflatable "car" that the system sees as a real car, but is actually just a "balloon" and it did brake though.

I guess that the cars with the radar will be a lot better at this, but they are pretty expensive.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

nsanderson
Astra Model: 1.6T SRi 200 Nav
Astra Options: AGR seat, winter pack,parking sensors, spare wheel
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by nsanderson » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:25 pm

To be honest, I like almost all the features of the new Astra, the On-Star and WiF was amazing when it came out, the swish infotainment screen, the general ambiance of the interior and dash design, its ride handling balance and its general level of refinement (the Watt's Link does take credit for those last few!)

In fact the only parts I feel need improving are the screaming parking sensors and the steering feedback which is accurate but just a bit too light & needs to feel more like the H's electro-hydraulic weight. Be interested to see what these sports chassis settings are that were mentioned in the facelift notes, including some improved steering setup and other parts that should've been on the SRi models - day 1.
1.6T (200) SRi Nav - Power Red, AGR seat, winter pack, parking sensors, spare wheel,

Geordie- boy

Post by Geordie- boy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:05 pm

Those LED head lights are great. Front tyre wear seems good. Speed of 1.4 turbo 150 good for irritating BMW drivers. 1.6 turbo must be a hoot and really up set the bmw drivers even more! Easy access AGR seats great apart from the cooling of them! Sport Tourer great for the runs to the tip.
Èlite nav ST 1.4T 150 mineral black massage climate AGR seats, keyless, self parking, tints, spare wheel, leds, cargo nets, boot liner but no sunroof!

mrtailorson_
Astra Model: CDTI 1.6 (136 PS)
Astra Options: Enjoy (a.k.a not much)
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by mrtailorson_ » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:24 am

i like the way wipers wipe :D also the amount of water being squirted is massive :)

on a more serious note i think android auto/car play is a great asset since you dont have to worry about your satnav becoming outdated. even the lowest tier astras have it (e.g. mine :)).

i like the 1.6 cdti diesel engine that is rated for 136 hp/320 Nm. the power is not much but the torque is great. it can whip other c segment cars like golf, focus etc.

i rarely carry rear passengers. but when i do, they really appreciate the knee room.

my gf appreciates the make up mirror with dual lights :)

MOOGLEYS
Astra Model: 1.6T Elite Nav Sports Tourer
Astra Colour: Deep Sky Blue

Post by MOOGLEYS » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:25 am

Interior space on my tourer is best bit for me. Plenty of room for my large dog in the boot with decent amount of luggage space underneath and comfy in the back for the kids and passengers.

The 1.6T engine is pokey enough it’s no performance car but pokey enough to do the job.

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:42 pm

mrtailorson_ wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:24 am
on a more serious note i think android auto/car play is a great asset since you dont have to worry about your satnav becoming outdated. even the lowest tier astras have it (e.g. mine :)).
Well, actually it is possible to get the Astra with a radio called R300BT, that does not have android auto and apple carplay for obvious reasons.

But most cars come with the R4.0 as standard and the Navi 900 as an upgrade if you ticked the navigation box, when ordering.

Here is a picture of the R300BT, that is probably only put into fleet cars and cars in very price sensitive countries.

Pompeydave
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t
Astra Colour: Silver

Post by Pompeydave » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:56 pm

Ummm dont like that R300BT , looks like an old goodmans stereo I bought back in the 90's lol

Return to “Main Astra K chat”