Looking for used 1.4T SRi - avoiding engine issues?

All Vauxhall Astra K related discussions
dr33ch

Looking for used 1.4T SRi - avoiding engine issues?

Post by dr33ch » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:11 am

Looking to buy a 1.4T SRi (150hp) as a first car (UK), was disappointed to find out about engine failures stemming from the wrong oil being used.

Hopefully it's safe to assume any car that's been serviced exclusively at vauxhall-approved garages will have had this rectified, but was wondering what the likelihood of running into problems down the line? I'm looking at 16-plate cars with around 25-35k miles, anyone have any experience of getting the oil changed at this point and having the engine fail later?

Also be interested to know if the 125hp 1.4T were also affected?

Cheers

M1chaelR
Astra Model: SRi 1.4 Turbo Auto
Astra Options: Winter pack, Front and rear parking sensors
Astra Colour: Summit White

Re: Looking for used 1.4T SRi - avoiding engine issues?

Post by M1chaelR » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:36 am

My car is on nearly 43,000 miles and had the correct oil fairly early on, not too long after it being released - probably about 15,000 miles in. Touch wood it's all running well and it's nearly 3 and a half years old now on a 16 plate.
SRi 1.4 Turbo (150) Auto in Summit White. Parking sensors and Winter Pack

danx55
Astra Model: 1.4.t 150 sri nav
Astra Options: sport mode ;)
Astra Colour: power red..i think

Post by danx55 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:31 pm

my current sri doesnt seem to have had the recall (nothing on dealer system) so assume it already has the needed oil :/ (16 plate)
..my previous 16 plate elite did need the oil change recall

...both seemed ok so far - current sri has done 20k miles

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Post by Redman » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:53 pm

The only recall I got was for the engine ecu update for a more robust reprogramming to reduce lspi incidents. I had no recall for oil just a tsb, it wasn't even available until my car's first service.

My advice would be to ensure it has had the engine ecu recall performed and has been serviced correctly with proof of oil type used. Ensure car comes with a good extended warranty even if for 3 months only. Educate yourself on how to help prevent lspi including not lugging the engine in high gears. Use branded fuel as advised by Vauxhall.
The 125 suffered from it as well along with most petrol direct fuel injection turbo charged engines. The research in to lspi and its prevention was paid for by most of the car manufacturer's together.

Screenshot_20190607-123315_Gallery.jpg

danx55
Astra Model: 1.4.t 150 sri nav
Astra Options: sport mode ;)
Astra Colour: power red..i think

Post by danx55 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:33 pm

mmm....that is interesting .... i get metallic noise at low rpm (1500 ish), but not loss of power .... and doesnt need to be heavy accel either :/

dr33ch

Post by dr33ch » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:40 am

Thanks for the replies guys!
Redman wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:53 pm
My advice would be to ensure it has had the engine ecu recall performed and has been serviced correctly with proof of oil type used. Ensure car comes with a good extended warranty even if for 3 months only. Educate yourself on how to help prevent lspi including not lugging the engine in high gears. Use branded fuel as advised by Vauxhall.
The 125 suffered from it as well along with most petrol direct fuel injection turbo charged engines. The research in to lspi and its prevention was paid for by most of the car manufacturer's together.
I've got a copy of the service book, it's had three services in three years, one at 10 months, next one after 14, then another gap of ten months. Would the 14 month gap cause issues with claims on a warranty? Was planning to get the vauxhall extended warranty to avoid issues with who's liable should there be any issues, but if they're likely to balk at the service intervals would a third-party one be better?

Couple of other things I've noticed - only one of the service stamps makes reference to being a vauxhall dealer. It's been to different garages but they're big used car chains so would a non-approved dealer have refused to touch it if it was still under warranty?

Also the oil - dexos 1 is ticked on last 2 years services but can tell if it's gen 1 or gen 2. GM-LL-B-025 is also ticked for the second last service. I'll ask to have confirmation the engine computer has been updated and if the dealer has any more service receipts but if not is this enough information to go on?

Cheers

Redfastback
Astra Model: Elite Nav 1.6 Turbo
Astra Options: Lots
Astra Colour: Pull Me Over Red

Post by Redfastback » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:19 pm

Try to get a 17 reg, Sri nav with the body colour fin. Full dealer history, ie 2, maybe three stamps. That's what I got when I went shopping last year. Had no probs. Avoid 16 and 66 plates if you are that worried. Most should be sorted by now though.
2019 Pull Me Over Red Astra 1.6 Turbo Elite Nav - Shame it looks like a Griffin, apart from those twin tail pipes :D and the extra 50 horses.

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Post by Redman » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:58 pm

[/quote]

I've got a copy of the service book, it's had three services in three years, one at 10 months, next one after 14, then another gap of ten months. Would the 14 month gap cause issues with claims on a warranty? Was planning to get the vauxhall extended warranty to avoid issues with who's liable should there be any issues, but if they're likely to balk at the service intervals would a third-party one be better?

Couple of other things I've noticed - only one of the service stamps makes reference to being a vauxhall dealer. It's been to different garages but they're big used car chains so would a non-approved dealer have refused to touch it if it was still under warranty?

Also the oil - dexos 1 is ticked on last 2 years services but can tell if it's gen 1 or gen 2. GM-LL-B-025 is also ticked for the second last service. I'll ask to have confirmation the engine computer has been updated and if the dealer has any more service receipts but if not is this enough information to go on?

Cheers
[/quote]

I would ask the warranty company about the 2nd service running over by 2 months prior to taking out a policy.
The services being done at different garages is not a problem as long as they are vat registered
How many previous owners has it had?

Return to “Main Astra K chat”