Upgraded from '02 Corsa to an '16 Astra K!

New to the Vauxhall Astra K Forums? Introduce yourself here
MyBrainHurts

Upgraded from '02 Corsa to an '16 Astra K!

Post by MyBrainHurts » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:19 am

We finally decided to retire the Corsa when it started to leak water into the driver's footwell. (Known issue with the seal around the brake master cylinder and I couldn't be bothered to fix it). It did have over 170,000 miles on the clock too...

We also have a Vectra and I had retrofitted OEM DAB into both, plus HIDs and front fogs into the Vectra.

The Astra is like a spaceship compared to the old Corsa and makes the Vectra now feel like an old, worn slipper when we get into it.

My day job is computer programming but I like to work on the cars as it's rewarding to do something manual with my hands instead of bashing keys.

Car tasks I've managed so far:
  • driveshaft replacement
  • sump replacement
  • bearings / hub / CV / gaiters / anti-roll bar bushes / brake pads / discs
  • many oil changes
  • thermostat / water pump
  • turbo replacement
  • EGR & throttle body cleans (all the time with the Z19DT)
  • alternator and starter motor replacements
  • electrical stuff like wiring loom for DAB + GID in Corsa
Car tasks I dread to think about:
  • timing chain replacement
  • clutch replacement
  • anything gearbox related

Scotty_b
Astra Model: 1.4T 150 Sri
Astra Options: Flux Capacitor
Astra Colour: Summit White

Re: Upgraded from '02 Corsa to an '16 Astra K!

Post by Scotty_b » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:58 pm

Congrats, they are a great car.

First thing on your list is to change the oil to Dexos 1 Gen 2 if it's a 1.4T as it's crucial for the engine or you'll be changing a lot more than the timing chain.
Astra K 1.4T 150 SRi, Summit white. De-Chromed with gloss black.

SuperGeekJames
Astra Model: "Ada" - 2016 Astra K 1.0T S/S 105hp
Astra Options: Heated Seats/Steering Wheel
Astra Colour: Lava Red

Re: Upgraded from '02 Corsa to an '16 Astra K!

Post by SuperGeekJames » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:37 pm

MyBrainHurts wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:19 am
The Astra is like a spaceship compared to the old Corsa and makes the Vectra now feel like an old, worn slipper when we get into it.
Hello from a fellow computer nerd *waves*. My old Astra H was like an old pair of slippers, comfortable and reliable, but boy did it feel outdated after I test drove the 1.0T 3 pot Astra K, which I later took home. I was used to a CD player and discs full of MP3's for the CD30 MP3 system it had, now I can fit everything on one 256GB USB stick!

They are lovely cars Astras, always have been. I still have a soft spot for the Astra F as well as H, old tractors but loveable, the old ones didn't have as many software bugs (damn IntellLink!) to iron out before the car becomes perfect. Ada, my 2016 K is coming out from having updates and parking sensors done tomorrow, hopefully she'll now be perfect and we'll get along for the next 5-10 years because hell does she look and sound good in her lovely red dress with 3 cylinder turbo growl, hopefully she'll be a lady who never complains like Antonia my old H was (apart from her MAP sensor and alternators, she ate those for breakfast!)

Return to “Introductions”