1.6T on order!

New to the Vauxhall Astra K Forums? Introduce yourself here
Green480

1.6T on order!

Post by Green480 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:12 pm

Hi everyone

After hiring a 1.4t for a couple of weeks not so long ago I decided to take the plunge and order a 1.6T Elite Nav 200 in cosmic grey. I’ve gone through an online broker as they had a cracking deal ( the 1.6 was cheaper than the 1.4!) so am a little nervous having never driven this particular model. I loved the 1.4t, plenty of midrange torque and everything I need in a car but I did feel the top end lacking slightly. I don’t consider myself a petrolhead but I do like discrete fast cars so I’m hoping the 1.6 will fit the bill.
Does anyone here have any experience of driving both cars? How much faster (real world) is the 1.6? I can’t seem to get a straight answer regarding 0-60 times (6.6 or 7.2 depending on who you ask) but IMO 0-60 times don’t often relate to real world performance.
Having had a quick browse I’m also concerned that the elite nav doesn’t have a sport mode, is this correct? Being able to change the feel of the 1.4 I rented was a big plus, great on some deserted country lanes in sport but then quite docile in traffic or a car park without.
Anyway, I’ll post a review and some pics in an agonising 4-5 weeks 😫

See you all soon

Finston Pickle
Astra Model: 1.6 Petrol Turbo SRI Nav Sports tourer
Astra Options: AGR seats;Wntr Pk;Sp Whl;S/Rf;Tints;CD plyr;P/Sens
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Re: 1.6T on order!

Post by Finston Pickle » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:20 pm

Good choice for the 1.6 Turbo IMO.

6.6 sec 0-60 is for the Hatchback, 7.2 is for the Sports Tourer.

SRI Nav is the one which has the sports button and lower insurance grouping (unless things have chnged since I bought my ST) - you also get a conventional handbrake on the SRI Nav.

The sports button does make quite a difference in the way that the car throttle response works, pick up and general feel - all for ~ 7 mpg on overall fiel consumption (44 to 37 mpg approx).

Having said that, I typically use the standard setting which gives incredible pick up anyway in second and third, if you wind it up correctly.

Most of the Elite owners rave about the Intellilux lights, so you could have still chosen wisely!
1.6 SIDI Petrol Turbo SRI Nav
AGR seats; Winter Pack; Spare Wheel; Sun Roof; Tinted Rear Windows; CD player; Parking Sensors

Green480

Post by Green480 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:02 pm

Hi
Thanks for reply, I didn’t think the Elite come with Intellilux lights as standard? I thought they were an option and the company I gave leased the vehicle from gave no options other than colour. Presumably they had a few in stock that they want rid of.

Finston Pickle

Post by Finston Pickle » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:51 pm

I remembered last night - in it's wisdom (and like many other cars manufacturers nowadays) VX reserve the highest spec trim for the highest power engine. Poor decision IMO.

This means that the Astra K SRI Nav, sports button and all, can not be had with the 1.6 Petrol turbo engine. Sorry.
AGR seats; Winter Pack; Spare Wheel; Sun Roof; Tinted Rear Windows; CD player; Parking Sensors

Calico
Astra Model: SRi 1.6i Turbo NAV
Astra Options: Park Assist
Astra Colour: Granite Grey

Post by Calico » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:27 pm

I test drove a 1.4 in the garage and it was fast but the 1.6 is definitely better. Think you'll notice the difference. I Liked the Cosmic grey but it had been discontinued. Must admit I could have had a Elite Nav straight away but decided to wait for a factory built SRI Nav because I wanted the handbrake, sports button and lane control which I couldn't get on Elite Nav. (Love the sports button!). With hindsight, I would have added the Intellux lights but the standard lights are OK. Not sure what Finston Pickle means as I have a 1.6 Turbo 200hp petrol engine.
SRi Nav 1.6T (200). Parking Pack. Granite Grey.

Green480

Post by Green480 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:01 pm

No sport mode is not a deal breaker, from my (limited) understanding the sport mode does not increase power, just sharpens the throttle making it easier to drive quickly and adds weight to the steering. They didn’t give me much choice with colour (lava red, cosmic grey or mineral black) and if I had the choice I would probably build an Sri nav with a few options but the deal seemed so good (£150 a month with £900 down) I didn’t want to lose it.
I currently drive an inherited VW Fox 1.2 - Pretty much the dullest car I’ve ever had so am expecting a bit of a step up in performance!
The next 4-5 weeks are going to be agonising........

Astralis

Post by Astralis » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:51 pm

Did you order any of the driver assistance packs?

On my SRI NAV I added the parking pack which also added driving assistance pack 1 if I recall - parking would be a nightmare without the camera and the gentle nudge from the lane assist is very welcome, especially on the country lanes. Driving assistance pack 2 wasn't available when I got mine - I would find the ACC so useful!

I hope it's not too late if you do want to add extras - I had a quick look at Jet Vehicle Finance and Select Car Leasing - both have the 1.6 Elite Nav at an unbelievable price and it is possible to configure options. Select Car Leasing is probably sourcing their Astras through Jet but it's always worth checking if they can match or beat each other's prices.

The sports mode for me (in a 1.4T auto) is very useful when overtaking as it keeps the gearbox in a lower gear and revs higher - the car is always ready to go. It's also very necessary during rush hour in London. I can't say I've noticed a difference in the steering or handling though.

Green480

Post by Green480 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:39 pm

Couldn’t get any options with it other than colour, they must have some in stock they want rid of. I’m not too bothered with the extras, i’ve bought plenty of cars in the past and the toys they came with lose their novelty for me after a few months. My main requirements are something reasonably quick and fun to drive, discrete, sensible running costs. Looking at Vx website is does look like Finston pickle is correct in that the 1.6t is only available on vx line and above specifications (i’m Assuming this hasn’t always been the case) and the engine takes priority over any extras. Shame, I did enjoy the sports button on that 1.4. My wife’s car (Hyundai Tucson) has lane assist and parking sensors and they are great but they are also something I can live without.
Anyway, too late now, i’ve Signed the contracts and been given a delivery date to the dealers of 5/10, hope to have the car not too long after -can’t wait, i’ve Never had a ‘new’ car before 😄😄

Finston Pickle

Post by Finston Pickle » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:31 pm

Calico, So have I (1.6 petrol turbo SRI Nav).

When I looked on carwow, when VX were promoting the ST in the Summer, you could only specifty the 1.6 petrol turbo on an Elite. Good value though at ~£20 k brand new (pre-registered, I guess).

u697040

Post by u697040 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:17 pm

I have a 2016 1.6t Sri and I love it. Performance is really good and easily as quick as most GTI's and ST's. With regards the sport button it's the best button in the car. The difference in engine response is like night and day, pick up is instant rather than linear. In the wet I leave it off as you just end up loosing traction so you actually make quicker progress with it off. In the dry I always leave it on. Couldn't imagine not having this button. It's not the end of the world though as a good remap from EDS will do the same thing although you can run with standard map with sport button off and the remap with it on, bit like a nutter button!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Return to “Introductions”