New to the Vauxhall Astra K Forums? Introduce yourself here
Valer
Astra Model: 2019 1.0 T SRi Nav Hatch
Astra Colour: Mineral Black GB9

Re: Not another Newbie, dear oh dear!

Post by Valer » Sun May 02, 2021 2:35 pm

1900sr wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 2:01 pm
I was always taught to start the engine with the clutch depressed, back from learning to drive 37 years ago, less for the starter to turn for easier starting I think, but also as a failsafe in case you've not checked it's in neutral (or you're in an old BL product that had as much movement on the gearstick in gear as it did in neutral ;) )
lol yes it can happen,

i remember one tech leaning through a mini's window to start it without checking it was out of gear,the car started in gear dragging him across the workshop,
luckily there was a sturdy 4 poster opposite, :o that stopped it alright :roll:
kamalaggi wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 12:43 pm

On my 2021 Astra you have to press the clutch and brake to start the engine.
Really ? that's complete overkill
Astra Sri 1.0t Hatch,Astra SRi 1.6t Tourer
Diagnostic kit.Opcom 2020,Mongoose pro GM2 running 2020 GDS2

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Post by Redman » Sun May 02, 2021 7:48 pm

Read on a few forums some ford engines are experiencing issues very similar to some vx engines.
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... &t=1776500

Valer
Astra Model: 2019 1.0 T SRi Nav Hatch
Astra Colour: Mineral Black GB9

Post by Valer » Mon May 03, 2021 11:21 am

Redman wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:48 pm
Read on a few forums some ford engines are experiencing issues very similar to some vx engines.
Lots of head scratching going on all round by the looks of it
Astra Sri 1.0t Hatch,Astra SRi 1.6t Tourer
Diagnostic kit.Opcom 2020,Mongoose pro GM2 running 2020 GDS2

Redman

Post by Redman » Mon May 03, 2021 12:07 pm

Valer wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:21 am
Redman wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:48 pm
Lots of head scratching going on all round by the looks of it
I am now thinking down the lines you are with regards to clutch pressed theory putting load on unlubrcated thrust bearings when starting.

msg

Post by msg » Wed May 05, 2021 3:43 pm

I contacted local Vauxhall dealer, regarding recall issue on diesels Astras, they were not willing to give me any advice what the issues were with diesels, as I explained I had similar issues but on my 1.4 t petrol version.

They checked my reg and said there are no outstanding recalls on mine.

But for them to offer any advice why my clutch is packing up only on some occasions, I will have to bring the car in for a diagnoses, for which they would charge me £99.00.

At the moment it only appears to fail when engine has been running hot (Normal temp) for a while , with prolonged usage of clutch pedal, that is when the problem occurred both times, I guess it starts to lose pressure past hydraulic components, I sat in my car for nearly 15 minutes on engine running on ideal, clutch full depressed, and yet it did not lose any pressure. In that 15 minutes the engine had not reached its full operating temp.

No signs of fluid leak or loss of fluid in the brake/clutch reservoir.

I am going to keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir, if pressure is escaping past slave cylinder seals, there may be signs of leak from it (not sure if it is an externally mounted or internally mounted) or see loss of fluid in the reservoir.

Redman

Post by Redman » Wed May 05, 2021 6:02 pm

msg wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 3:43 pm

I am going to keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir, if pressure is escaping past slave cylinder seals, there may be signs of leak from it (not sure if it is an externally mounted or internally mounted) or see loss of fluid in the reservoir.
The slave cylinder is inside the gearbox

msg

Post by msg » Thu May 06, 2021 1:53 am

That is a disaster, expensive repair just to sort out that needs complete removal of g/b,

First I should be able to diagnose the problem without taking it to garage, keep an eye on the hydraulic reservoir, if there was a leak on the slave rubber seals, you would see the reservoir level dropping down by a few mm, taking into consideration that brake pad wear can also result in this but that would be negligible in the time fluid is lost through clutch slave cylinder.

If on the other hand there is no loss of fluid, then it can only point to Master cylinder where the rubber seals may have weakened and letting fluid leak past back into reservoir. or it can also leak into the car which can be examined near the pedals for any sign of wetting.