Introduction

New to the Vauxhall Astra K Forums? Introduce yourself here
Onethumb1047

Introduction

Post by Onethumb1047 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:57 pm

Hi All,
I’m an oldie 70 plus and a work in progress re my iPad. My first car was an Opel Kadette A 1965, and I’ve owned lots of different makes including six Opel / Vauxhall of various models. I recently had my 2017 Astra Elite 1.6 diesel 110 in for its first service, with the local Vauxhall dealer, and I checked the oil levels when I got home. The new oil showed up pure black as if it had never been changed. Have any other forum members experienced this. I would have thought the new oil would be nice and clean. Comments welcomed. Great forum for information Thanks,
One thumb.

jonathaneuk

Re: Introduction

Post by jonathaneuk » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:01 am

Onethumb1047 wrote:Hi All,
I’m an oldie 70 plus and a work in progress re my iPad. My first car was an Opel Kadette A 1965, and I’ve owned lots of different makes including six Opel / Vauxhall of various models. I recently had my 2017 Astra Elite 1.6 diesel 110 in for its first service, with the local Vauxhall dealer, and I checked the oil levels when I got home. The new oil showed up pure black as if it had never been changed. Have any other forum members experienced this. I would have thought the new oil would be nice and clean. Comments welcomed. Great forum for information Thanks,
One thumb.
Hey buddy and welcome to the group!!

Perfectly normal mate. Oil in diesels will turn black straight away when new oil has been put in. Patrols on the other hand should always show brownish/clear.

Just had my 1.6cdti serviced last week and I did the same thing and checked oil. And yep totally black.

Just normal:)

Jonny

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Astra K|SRi|Summer White|Parking Assist|OnStar

cooldad
Astra Model: 1.6 SRi Turbo 200PS
Astra Options: 18" Alloys + IntelliLux LED Matrix Headlights
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by cooldad » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:58 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Although I now have a petrol 'K', my previous car was a 1.7CDTi Astra 'J' and I could barely drive home from the dealer's after a service before the oil turned as black as coal :o :shock: :? so no reason to assume the 'K' should be any different, as Jonathan has confirmed.

The colour shouldn't affect the performance of the oil - your filter should take out all the harmful stuff - but it is disconcerting when you look at the dipstick!! ;)
Astra 1.6 SRi Turbo 200 PS / 150 kW, Power Red.
'Intellilux' headlights, 18 in / 45 cm bi-colour alloys, driving assistance pack, advanced parking pack.

Onethumb1047

Post by Onethumb1047 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:30 pm

Thanks Jonathan & Cooldad, for your prompt reply’s. I have also owned Toyota’s Morris / Austin, and Fords. I once owned an Opel Astra 01 it was the best car I ever owned. It had just over 80K miles on it over a 7yr period and apart from tyres and a battery and the usual oil changes etc I never had to open the toolbox. No bushes or track rod ends or no brake pads, brilliant car. Thanks once again guys,
One thumb

Ivanzu
Astra Model: 1.4T
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by Ivanzu » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:48 pm

That would be Astra mk4, most reliable car I owned .

Return to “Introductions”