#1 ·
Morning all,

Usually when I wash my car, I do the following:

- Initial jet wash to rinse the car

- Snow foam the car (AutoFinesse)

- Rinse again

- Autoglym shampoo

- Rinse again

I have one of the Kent Car Care Extra Large Microfibre Drying towel.

However, I just don't think it does a great job. It leaves a lot of water and is sometimes very smeary. Maybe I am using it wrong?! :eek:

What else do people use to dry their car? If anyone has any better recommendations that would be appreciated!! :D

#7 ·
JamesC said:
Gkf9 said:
I use a chamois leather 1st, get most of the water off, and then finish off with micro towel, works for me.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Thanks for that! Just a standard chamois leather that you can get from Halfords? And then just wipe down with the towel to remove any water marks?
Yeah, I think I got it from Halfords too, just keep squeezing the chamois out till you've got most of the excess water off, then finish off with micro towel.

#8 ·
Over the years I've tried Chamois leathers, artificial chammies.
I get best results with :
Bucket of cold plain water, dunk in a microfibre cloth, wring it out and wipe over one/two panels at at time.
Repeat step above as many times as it takes.

#9 ·
Old Codger said:
Bucket of cold plain water, dunk in a microfibre cloth, wring it out and wipe over one/two panels at at time.
Sounds interesting...How long would you say it takes per panel to dry it?

#10 ·
Gkf9 said:
JamesC said:
Gkf9 said:
I use a chamois leather 1st, get most of the water off, and then finish off with micro towel, works for me.

Thanks for that! Just a standard chamois leather that you can get from Halfords? And then just wipe down with the towel to remove any water marks?
Yeah, I think I got it from Halfords too, just keep squeezing the chamois out till you've got most of the excess water off, then finish off with micro towel.

Thanks mate

#12 ·
JamesC said:
Old Codger said:
Sounds interesting...How long would you say it takes per panel to dry it?
The first wipe over gets rid of any surplus and water marks, followed by another gentle wipe over and leave to dry naturally.

#14 ·
JamesC said:
Gkf9 said:
JamesC said:

Thanks mate
Ps it's one of them artificial ones not the real deal.

#15 ·
Old Codger said:
I'm with "Old Codger" on this one. I can't really see why you're having problems with the big drying towel unless maybe you're not soaking it first as suggested above. Chamois leathers are not seen so much nowadays on detailing channels where just about everyone uses the big microfiber for drying followed by one of the QD products.

#16 ·
FiestaRed said:
Old Codger said:
I'm with "Old Codger" on this one. I can't really see why you're having problems with the big drying towel unless maybe you're not soaking it first as suggested above. Chamois leathers are not seen so much nowadays on detailing channels where just about everyone uses the big microfiber for drying followed by one of the QD products.
If I am honest, I did not know you have to soak the towel!! So you think I should douse it in a bucket, wring it out, then use that to dry?? Just almost seems counter-productive lol :lol: But if it works I will certainly try it!

#17 ·
JamesC said:
FiestaRed said:
Old Codger said:
If I am honest, I did not know you have to soak the towel!! So you think I should douse it in a bucket, wring it out, then use that to dry?? Just almost seems counter-productive lol [emoji38] But if it works I will certainly try it!
I didn't know that either? I knew a Chamois had to be soaked 1st.

#20 ·
#21 ·
davidw said:
I'd say avoid using a Chamois as it can cause scratches from dirt getting trapped. Same as the squeegee blade. Your best bet is a good microfibre drying towel. I've had a few but the best one I've used so far is this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XYB7HCT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can easily do the car with this and anything you do miss just get a finishing towel to mop it up.
IMO if your getting dirt trapped in the Chamois or Squeegee blade, you ain't washing your car right.

I've no scratches whatsoever.

#22 ·
Gkf9 said:
davidw said:
I'd say avoid using a Chamois as it can cause scratches from dirt getting trapped. Same as the squeegee blade. Your best bet is a good microfibre drying towel. I've had a few but the best one I've used so far is this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XYB7HCT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can easily do the car with this and anything you do miss just get a finishing towel to mop it up.
IMO if your getting dirt trapped in the Chamois or Squeegee blade, you ain't washing your car right.

I've no scratches whatsoever.

Unless you're washing your car in a sealed environment, there is a chance of getting something on the paint, i.e. bugs, dust, etc.

#24 ·
JamesC said:
If I am honest, I did not know you have to soak the towel!! So you think I should douse it in a bucket, wring it out, then use that to dry?? Just almost seems counter-productive lol :lol: But if it works I will certainly try it!
Quoted from one of the many detailing website on the net and YouTube:

"Do you use microfiber cloths wet or dry?

Bear in mind, when using microfiber cloths the general rule of thumb is to use wet for cleaning and dry for dusting. When using wet, wring out as much water as possible before cleaning. This increases absorbency as well as the fiber's ability to pick up dirt and residue."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.