Cleaning Windows

Cleaning and detailing your Astra.
FiestaRed
Astra Model: Sports Tourer 150T
Astra Options: Just about Everything
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver (Blue when you look at it though)

Cleaning Windows

Post by FiestaRed » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:18 pm

I picked my new car up a couple of weeks back now and it wasn't until I was on the way home I noticed the windows on the inside were dirty. They had a kind of film on them. The car had been parked under the dealers veranda and it wasn't until the sun came out that I really noticed the windows.

I have since mentioned it to the dealership and was told it was probably the "polish" they used. I was asked to take the car back but seeing the state of the windows on delivery thought I'd rather try and clean them myself. I've had a couple of goes now and they're much better but I still get a dull film on the inside when it's sunny. I used Chemical Guys Glassworkz cleaner and a couple of microfiber cloths finished off with a special "glass cloth".

Any help or advice on getting the inside of the windows clean would be a big help. Having had a couple of goes, I know it's not an easy job to get at the inside of the windscreen but I'd really like to get it as clean as possible. Even thought of taking the car to a decent valeting place but I'd like to see the costs first.

Scotty_b
Astra Model: 1.4T 150 Sri
Astra Colour: Summit White

Re: Cleaning Windows

Post by Scotty_b » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:38 pm

Get yourself some Isopropyl alcohol (about £3-4) which will strip the windows bare. Then you can apply a glass polish of your choice.
Astra K 1.4T 150 SRi, Summit white. De-Chromed with gloss black.

chrism40
Astra Model: SRI 1.4T 150 VX-Line
Astra Colour: white

Post by chrism40 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:38 pm

Even isopropanol doesn't always get everything off, its usually 99% pure, the 1% is often oily impurities. It didnt work for me, my car was delivered clean, but when misted up (after cleaning with isopropanol) you could still see the sucker marks where they held the glass during fitting.

I use a panel wipe type cleaner and it works better. The one I have now is Gyeon Prep, but there are loads. It will take everything off, since it can be used between paint applications without leaving any trace.

FiestaRed

Post by FiestaRed » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:20 pm

Thanks for the replies. Chris, that's exactly the condition of my windows now, they look clean but the slightest bit of misting and you can see all the marks.

I'm sure I have some panel wipe in my garage, I'll have a look in the morning and let you know how I get on.

DROGE
Astra Model: Astra 1.4T 150 SRi Nav
Astra Colour: Mineral Black

Post by DROGE » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:50 am

The inside of my car's windscreen was full of smears and marks on delivery too (2 weeks ago)! Although the rest of the car was pristine. I tried a few car glass cleaners I have, and most seemed to be making things worse and spreading the smearing. Then I used 4 or 5 baby wipes from Asda and the lot came off! :lol:
(67) Astra 1.4T 150 SRi Nav
Mineral Black

FiestaRed

Post by FiestaRed » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:06 am

I wouldn't have thought anything you'd put near a babies bum would help with cleaning a car's windscreen but I've tried just about everything else.

Scotty_b

Post by Scotty_b » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:23 pm

Just noticed for the first time today a huge sucker mark on the rear door window. I'll try the baby wipes.

FiestaRed

Post by FiestaRed » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:14 am

Best of luck with that then Scotty, they're a bugger top get rid off. Both baby wipes and sucker marks of your windows.

Scotty_b

Post by Scotty_b » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:54 am

I'll try a clay bar first, might do the trick.

FiestaRed

Post by FiestaRed » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:11 pm

That's just what I've bought to try. I'm going to use the bar with Koch Chemie as a lube and see if I can get the windscreen a bit cleaner.

I've been watching YT videos about windscreen cleaning until my eyes have gone square. I did find one video where the presenter gave Bronze, Silver and Gold awards to a whole range of car cleaning products. The "Gold" award in the glass cleaning section went to Angelwax Vision, so if the Koch Chemie doesn't work, I might give that a try.

Return to “Cleaning and Detailing”