Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Cleaning Windows

18K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Prince of Darkness 
#1 ·
I picked my new car up a couple of weeks back now and it wasn't until I was on the way home I noticed the windows on the inside were dirty. They had a kind of film on them. The car had been parked under the dealers veranda and it wasn't until the sun came out that I really noticed the windows.

I have since mentioned it to the dealership and was told it was probably the "polish" they used. I was asked to take the car back but seeing the state of the windows on delivery thought I'd rather try and clean them myself. I've had a couple of goes now and they're much better but I still get a dull film on the inside when it's sunny. I used Chemical Guys Glassworkz cleaner and a couple of microfiber cloths finished off with a special "glass cloth".

Any help or advice on getting the inside of the windows clean would be a big help. Having had a couple of goes, I know it's not an easy job to get at the inside of the windscreen but I'd really like to get it as clean as possible. Even thought of taking the car to a decent valeting place but I'd like to see the costs first.

#3 ·
Even isopropanol doesn't always get everything off, its usually 99% pure, the 1% is often oily impurities. It didnt work for me, my car was delivered clean, but when misted up (after cleaning with isopropanol) you could still see the sucker marks where they held the glass during fitting.

I use a panel wipe type cleaner and it works better. The one I have now is Gyeon Prep, but there are loads. It will take everything off, since it can be used between paint applications without leaving any trace.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Chris, that's exactly the condition of my windows now, they look clean but the slightest bit of misting and you can see all the marks.

I'm sure I have some panel wipe in my garage, I'll have a look in the morning and let you know how I get on.

#5 ·
The inside of my car's windscreen was full of smears and marks on delivery too (2 weeks ago)! Although the rest of the car was pristine. I tried a few car glass cleaners I have, and most seemed to be making things worse and spreading the smearing. Then I used 4 or 5 baby wipes from Asda and the lot came off! :lol:

#10 ·
That's just what I've bought to try. I'm going to use the bar with Koch Chemie as a lube and see if I can get the windscreen a bit cleaner.

I've been watching YT videos about windscreen cleaning until my eyes have gone square. I did find one video where the presenter gave Bronze, Silver and Gold awards to a whole range of car cleaning products. The "Gold" award in the glass cleaning section went to Angelwax Vision, so if the Koch Chemie doesn't work, I might give that a try.

#12 ·
By way of an update, I spent quite a bit of time cleaning the Astra's windows and they're getting better. I used the Chemical Guys Glassworkz cleaner all round.

The inside front of the windscreen, especially on the passenger's side was still quite bad. As the bottle of Koch Chemie Speed Glass Cleaner I ordered had arrived but was pushed for time, I gave the passengers side another quick go before taking the family to the local Shopping Outlet.

As shopping is not my thing, I had a quick tour round then went and sat in the car. As it was pouring with rain, all the inside glass quickly misted up apart from the passengers side windscreen where I'd tried the Koch Chemie, that hardly misted up all. When I've got a bit more time to spare, I'll give all the glass another clean with the Koch Chemie and see how that goes.

#17 ·
eusty said:
I mix up 50:50 of RO water and white vinegar and use 2 microfibre cloths (one to rub, the other to buff).
Well that's what I used to do!

I decided to try some Koch Chemie Speed Glass Cleaner and it's the dogs danglies. I used to have issues with the windows misting up so had to keep the air to the screen to stop it, but after cleaning it the other day it doesn't mist up now.

Top stuff :)

#19 ·
Sometimes just plain cold water and a good clean chamois is all you need. I used to work for a company that swore by it and only washed the body of the cars as well with cold water when valeted. No chemicals at all..ever. Cars always came out pristine. I couldn't quite get my head around it but you couldn't argue with the results. :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.