Advice needed on dealing with Dealership

Cleaning and detailing your Astra.
AFriskyPigeon
Astra Model: Astra Elite Nav 1.6 Turbo 2018
Astra Colour: Darkmoon Blue

Advice needed on dealing with Dealership

Post by AFriskyPigeon » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:48 pm

Hi guys,

I recently bought my Astra from a Vauxhall dealership, and got sucked into buying the SafeGard paint protection (I know it's overpriced but genuinely thought I might as well, I want it to stay looking good!).

However, after I've had the car a few days I noticed that the whole car is covered in smears and scuffs... It seems as though the vehicle was terribly waxed/polished before the SafeGard was applied, so the SafeGard has actually formed a layer ABOVE the god-awful smears.

Now, I'm stuck with a car that looks like sh*t and a dealership that is almost flat out refusing to deal with it because I live over an hour away.

Does anyone know who I can contact about this? I know I can go to NetworkQ but cleaning and polishing are not covered by the policy by the look of things.

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!
Astra Elite Nav 1.6T (197bhp) 2018 in Darkmoon Blue

Boroboy
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4t auto SRI NAV
Astra Colour: Red

Re: Advice needed on dealing with Dealership

Post by Boroboy » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:31 pm

AFriskyPigeon wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:48 pm
Hi guys,

I recently bought my Astra from a Vauxhall dealership, and got sucked into buying the SafeGard paint protection (I know it's overpriced but genuinely thought I might as well, I want it to stay looking good!).
Also contact trading standards/customer direct on explain the situation. They'll give you a case number, within the event you need to take it further.
I've gone down this route a few times, both times I had my car repaired to a satisfactory condition, but didn't get as far as rejecting it. Very difficult to reject a car, as dealerships are now savvy to the situation.

However, after I've had the car a few days I noticed that the whole car is covered in smears and scuffs... It seems as though the vehicle was terribly waxed/polished before the SafeGard was applied, so the SafeGard has actually formed a layer ABOVE the god-awful smears.

Now, I'm stuck with a car that looks like sh*t and a dealership that is almost flat out refusing to deal with it because I live over an hour away.

Does anyone know who I can contact about this? I know I can go to NetworkQ but cleaning and polishing are not covered by the policy by the look of things.

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!
You have the maximum legal protection for 30 days from purchase.
If you are still within that time, you are really not happy about the overall condition of the cars bodywork. Send a letter to the sales manager (recorded delivery), explain that your car is not of satisfactory condition, explain the reasons why. You would like to reject it for a full refund. Ask them what date would be convenient for you to drop it off to them for a full immediate refund.
Then see what happens.
I've attempted to reject two cars within the past, on both occasions my car was repaired to a satisfactory condition. It's very difficult to actually reject a car, as dealers are now very savvy to this situation.
Buying over Covid should also be better for you, as it's more difficult to buy and sell cars. So you received your car within a poor condition, not up to your expectations.

AFriskyPigeon
Astra Model: Astra Elite Nav 1.6 Turbo 2018
Astra Colour: Darkmoon Blue

Post by AFriskyPigeon » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:26 pm

My concern is that they'll call my bluff and accept the return, which I really don't want because I love the car itself, they've just done such a sh*t job with the finish. Also, would they accept the optional extra as me being unhappy with the car itself? Probably not - at which point the car being returnable becomes somewhat irrelevant.

Plus I've paid for insurance and the like which would cost me a decent amount to cancel anyway.
Astra Elite Nav 1.6T (197bhp) 2018 in Darkmoon Blue

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:42 pm

AFriskyPigeon wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:26 pm
My concern is that they'll call my bluff and accept the return, which I really don't want because I love the car itself, they've just done such a sh*t job with the finish. Also, would they accept the optional extra as me being unhappy with the car itself? Probably not - at which point the car being returnable becomes somewhat irrelevant.

Plus I've paid for insurance and the like which would cost me a decent amount to cancel anyway.
Personally I wouldn't keep a car I wasn't happy with. Either you push to have it sorted or you don't. You've tried being nice, that's not worked either. Within my experience they'd rather negotiate a repair than except your car back fro a full refund, which I doubt they'd do. If that did happen, which I doubt, plenty more cars out there. When I had two previously repaired, I'd have been happy to have a refund, but that was not offered, they went out of the way though to repair it once the letter was received.
As I've previously said you need to do it within the first 30 days or you'll struggle to get anything after that, As I've been there & done it.

Pompeydave
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t
Astra Colour: Silver

Post by Pompeydave » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:58 pm

Normal disgusting attitude from dealer after car sold.

Who did you speak to at the dealer , if it was service / service manager then these guys are robots , they are usually the most unhelpful when it comes to warranty work , helping customers out etc etc.

I would go straight to the salesman who sold you the car , face to face not over the phone.

Go in with a good attitude ( after all this salesman would love to see you again in 2 / 3 years for repeat business) and nicely explain the issue and see what he suggests. Most likely their valeter will have a look , if not a sprayer if body shop on site.

Ranting and raving has got me some way in the past but also has gone the other way in which I achieved nothing.

These days I find it best to go in with a positive attitude on first names with the salesman and usually can be sorted there and then.

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:24 am

Pompeydave wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:58 pm
Normal disgusting attitude from dealer after car sold.

Who did you speak to at the dealer , if it was service / service manager then these guys are robots , they are usually the most unhelpful when it comes to warranty work , helping customers out etc etc.

I would go straight to the salesman who sold you the car , face to face not over the phone.

Go in with a good attitude ( after all this salesman would love to see you again in 2 / 3 years for repeat business) and nicely explain the issue and see what he suggests. Most likely their valeter will have a look , if not a sprayer if body shop on site.

Ranting and raving has got me some way in the past but also has gone the other way in which I achieved nothing.

These days I find it best to go in with a positive attitude on first names with the salesman and usually can be sorted there and then.
Unfortunately within my experience with a lot of dealerships they don't care once you've bought a car from them (I've bought plenty), well at least after the first 30 days from purchase. They make some effort during this time due to legal reasons.
Yes it's best to be nice first, if that doesn't help, then go to plan b :lol:
When I received my car 4 months ago during Covid, I didn't see or drive it first, but new it was a very low mileage car with a fvsh and bought from main dealer (7k on the clock, ex mobility at 2.5 years of age). Advertised being within excellent condition. The day the delivery driver dropped it off I noticed my cars the glovebox was badly scratched and also the dashboard area had a deep scratch in it too. So they hadn't prepared it to a decent condition within the first place. I was straight onto the phone to the sales manager. He said to me to find a decent repair place and they'll foot the bill, as they were over 2 hours away. I did so, they paid the garage eventually. As I had two calls from the repair garage stating that they'd not paid their bill, as yet.
A week after purchase I noticed that the front lower painted grill part of the bumper was badly scuffed too. Paint was took off along a two foot strip. Again they'd missed this. Back onto the phone again. After stating my legal rights, he then agreed to have this resprayed by a local body shop. Evans Halshaw paid the body shop up front to have the panel repaired/sprayed. 6 weeks later I took it in to my trusted body shop to have the repair done.
All these issues should have been sorted first, prior to delivery. This seems to be common practice with Evans Halshaw generally. You inspect their cars (pre Covid), you then spot the faults, they agree to repair some of the issues, then you buy the car. Not the old school way method. You prepare the car to a decent standard first.

FredOnline
Astra Model: 1.4T 16V 150 SRI 5DR
Astra Colour: Silver

Post by FredOnline » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:38 am

Did the dealer provide you with any proof of the protection?

I would have thought that there is some form of Safegard certificate or such, for when you want to sell on the vehicle.

Presumably this certificate would have some terms/conditions on it.