In over 20 years of owning various cars, I've never had an issue with swirl marks. Wouldn't consider myself a detailer, but always have taken pride in what I drive and how it looks. So I could have wept when I looked at the Astra on Sunday and saw swirl marks in the autumn sun literally all over the car, albeit they're not at all noticeable except in direct and reasonably strong sunlight. I know swirl marks are more noticeable on a black car, but this is freaking ridiculous.
I've always wash the car every week or so - dependent upon weather and this is my approach:
- Wash using Meguiars Sheepskin Wash Mitt and Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax, using 2 bucket method;
- Rinse off initially using water and then rinse again using Meguiars Synthetic Wash Mitt to help remove any bubbles;
- Dry using Microfibre Drying Cloths - unsure of make, purchase from Halfords.
Every 3 - 6 months - or around 3 times a year - I also remove any tar spots, polish the car using AutoGlym Super Resin Polish, before waxing using Simoniz Original Car Wax, using foam applicator pad and micro-fibre polishing cloths. I also throughly rinse the Sheepskin wash mitt in warm water after use and machine wash the microfibre drying cloths, which I replace every 2 months.
When I look at my wife's Mokka which is 6 months older and which I also maintain using the same approach, it's virtually 100% swirl mark free. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong on the Astra?
To try and get rid of the swirl marks and having looked around online, I'm thinking of:
- Polish using Auto Glum Super Resin Polish;
- Apply Natty's Black Hole;
- Wax using Collinite 845 Insulator Wax.
Any help / thoughts / feedback very much appreciated