Buy and Sell from other members
Shaky
Astra Model: 1.4T Elite Nav Sports Tourer
Astra Options: Keyless Ignition, Power Tailgate, Parking Sensors,
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver OP189

Corsa E Headlight Switch

Post by Shaky » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:50 pm

As the title suggests.

Since I modded my oem light switch to shut-off auto lights I don't need it now so I have this one for sale for anyone who doesn't want to have to disassemble their original switch.

Make me an offer :D
I am Homer of Borg. Resistance is..............Hmmmm Doughnuts.
Detachable Towbar, Full-Size 18" Bi-Colour Alloy Spare Wheel, Modded Headlight Switch, HID Dipped/LED Main Headlights, Gas Bonnet Struts, Chevy Cruze Washer Jets

jt123
Astra Model: SRi 1.6 CDTI BiTurbo
Astra Colour: Carbon Flash

Re: Corsa E Headlight Switch

Post by jt123 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:41 pm

Shaky wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:50 pm
As the title suggests.

Since I modded my oem light switch to shut-off auto lights I don't need it now so I have this one for sale for anyone who doesn't want to have to disassemble their original switch.

I'm curious... what did you do to mod the original switch? Added an extra separate switch or... ?

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Post by Redman » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:08 pm

jt123 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:41 pm
Shaky wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:50 pm
As the title suggests.

I'm curious... what did you do to mod the original switch? Added an extra separate switch or... ?

There was a thread on here whereby you remove a piece of plastic from the switch once dismantled. Cant remember who posted it but I took some screen shots

Screenshot_20200325-074853_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200325-074937_Samsung Internet.jpg

Shaky

Post by Shaky » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:11 pm

jt123 wrote:
I was basically at a loose end today hoping my bonnet struts would come - they didn't until it was too dark - lol and remembered someone mentioning they'd modded a Zafira C switch to use on their Matrix-equipped K so i decided to disassemble my old oem switch to see if I could do it on that.

The OP chopped a piece out of their rotating switch part to allow the switch to turn a bit further and allow the auto to be disabled but (I think - can't find the original thread) they ended up with a switch that turned 360° which I didn't want to happen.

Anyway, when the rotating part of the switch (the blue bit) is pressed fully home, there are two lugs of plastic (that are part of the framework of the switch) that slot into two guides that run around the body of the rotating part. These hit two stops inside the guides to stop the switch turning too far clockwise or anti-clockwise. I just had to dremel one of the stops off which allowed the switch to rotate that little bit further and connect the tracks on the pcb to allow the auto lights to be turned off.

Tbh, the red LED colour was starting to bug me (OCD - lol) and I don't like soldering PCB's to add/remove smd LED's (crap eyesight !) so this method still gives me the oem look. The switch just doesn't have the "off" position marked that's all, it still works perfectly.

I was going to see if the Corsa E switch PCB was the same as the oem switch PCB and just swap the oem one into the Corsa Switch but the Corsa switch didn't seem to want to disassemble as readily as the oem one so I didn't bother. Plus, if I screwed the oem switch up in the process, I still had the working Corsa E one in the car.
Detachable Towbar, Full-Size 18" Bi-Colour Alloy Spare Wheel, Modded Headlight Switch, HID Dipped/LED Main Headlights, Gas Bonnet Struts, Chevy Cruze Washer Jets

Shaky

Post by Shaky » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:14 pm

Redman wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:08 pm
There was a thread on here whereby you remove a piece of plastic from the switch once dismantled. Cant remember who posted it but I took some screen shots
Haha, you posted that while I was typing Redman. That was the thread that made me have a go at mine, although I took a different route obviously.

jt123
Astra Model: SRi 1.6 CDTI BiTurbo
Astra Colour: Carbon Flash

Post by jt123 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:25 pm

Shaky wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:11 pm
jt123 wrote:
I was basically at a loose end today hoping my bonnet struts would come - they didn't until it was too dark - lol and remembered someone mentioning they'd modded a Zafira C switch to use on their Matrix-equipped K so i decided to disassemble my old oem switch to see if I could do it on that.

The OP chopped a piece out of their rotating switch part to allow the switch to turn a bit further and allow the auto to be disabled but (I think - can't find the original thread) they ended up with a switch that turned 360° which I didn't want to happen.

Anyway, when the rotating part of the switch (the blue bit) is pressed fully home, there are two lugs of plastic (that are part of the framework of the switch) that slot into two guides that run around the body of the rotating part. These hit two stops inside the guides to stop the switch turning too far clockwise or anti-clockwise. I just had to dremel one of the stops off which allowed the switch to rotate that little bit further and connect the tracks on the pcb to allow the auto lights to be turned off.

Tbh, the red LED colour was starting to bug me (OCD - lol) and I don't like soldering PCB's to add/remove smd LED's (crap eyesight !) so this method still gives me the oem look. The switch just doesn't have the "off" position marked that's all, it still works perfectly.

I was going to see if the Corsa E switch PCB was the same as the oem switch PCB and just swap the oem one into the Corsa Switch but the Corsa switch didn't seem to want to disassemble as readily as the oem one so I didn't bother. Plus, if I screwed the oem switch up in the process, I still had the working Corsa E one in the car.
Interesting! I actually ordered a Corsa E switch before Xmas, still waiting for it to get here. I hadn't even thought about the backlit LED's being a different colour. Guess I'll have to order some white SMD's :)

Redman

Post by Redman » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:24 pm

Shaky wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:14 pm
Redman wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:08 pm
Haha, you posted that while I was typing Redman. That was the thread that made me have a go at mine, although I took a different route obviously.
You perhaps should have taken some pictures of your route and solution and posted it Shaky.

Is the picture I posted from the original thread pre or post modification?

Shaky

Post by Shaky » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:00 pm

Redman wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:24 pm
You perhaps should have taken some pictures of your route and solution and posted it Shaky.
Damn !! :oops: :oops: I ALWAYS forget to take piccies so I can make a tutorial. (My Headllights swap was one of the first I've remembered to do :lol: ) Although in my defence this time, I would've guessed that most people had (like I did originally) just bought and fitted a Corsa E switch.

Tell ya what, I can't see it taking me too long to fit the struts tomorrow so I'll strip the switch down after and take some procedure pics. It actually is prolly a good idea of yours Redman coz I made it difficult for myself when I dismantled the switch, which I realised when I put it back together :o so I can give a better step-by-step dismantle process.

Apologies for people hoping for a guide, I'll see what I can do. :D
Redman wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:24 pm
Is the picture I posted from the original thread pre or post modification?
I'm afraid your guess is as good as mine on that one Redman as I can't find the original thread :?: -sorry

Redman

Post by Redman » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:06 pm

[/quote]

Tell ya what, I can't see it taking me too long to fit the struts tomorrow so I'll strip the switch down after and take some procedure pics. It actually is prolly a good idea of yours Redman coz I made it difficult for myself when I dismantled the switch, which I realised when I put it back together :o so I can give a better step-by-step dismantle process.

Be careful you don't end up breaking something taking it apart again just for pics, you will kick yourself.

Just off the subject how do you do that individual paragraph quoting? I have tried to quote a part of your's by deleting the other parts but doesn't grey out.

Shaky

Post by Shaky » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:21 am

Redman wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:06 pm
Be careful you don't end up breaking something taking it apart again just for pics, you will kick yourself.
No worries Redman, I still had my old Corsa E switch to fall back on if it all went pear-shaped. :mrgreen: Would just mean I'd have to remove it from sale :lol: All went well anyway ;) but cheers for mentioning it. :mrgreen:
Redman wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:06 pm
Just off the subject how do you do that individual paragraph quoting? I have tried to quote a part of your's by deleting the other parts but doesn't grey out.
You are almost there mate :D When you've deleted the bit you don't wanna quote, the "end quote" tag i.e. {/quote} will be at the end of the remaining text. If you then wanna quote a separate paragraph, you add the original quote tag i.e. [quote=redman post id yadda yadda yadda} before the other paragraph you're quoting, then add another end quote tag to the end of that new paragraph. I tend to type all the quotes and end quotes where I want them coz it's easier to copy and paste them into place first and then delete the text I don't want.

(I've used curly brackets to stop the quotes actually taking place, you will need to use square brackets for this to work}

Then you can type your reply to that paragraph as normal.

Back On-Topic, I've taken all the pics I need and I'll sort-out the tut for tomorrow afternoon sometime. Prolly easier to start a new thread :D