Sat Nav

Useful How To posts
cpr0305

Sat Nav

Post by cpr0305 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:44 pm

Hi All,

I have a 66 plate Astra, but unfortunately it doesn’t have Sat Nav, has anybody else bought an original second hand sat Nav system and is it easy enough to install? I do have Apple Carplay and can use google maps but I am getting conflicting stories about it using lots of data and to be careful.

Cheers
Chris.

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: Sat Nav

Post by astraowner » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:19 am

cpr0305 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:44 pm
Hi All,

I have a 66 plate Astra, but unfortunately it doesn’t have Sat Nav, has anybody else bought an original second hand sat Nav system and is it easy enough to install? I do have Apple Carplay and can use google maps but I am getting conflicting stories about it using lots of data and to be careful.

Cheers
Chris.
I haven't heard that google maps should be hard on the data connection.

If you are worried, just make it download the relevant maps and do offline navigation with it. Also there are apps that measure how much data each app is using, so maybe find one and test it out.

Personally i dont think about these things as my job pays for my phone and has a 15Gbyte/month plan for me. 8-)

Also, i seem to remember that retrofitting a NAVI 900 is all but impossible as you will need programming and a VCI code that only Vauxhall has, and does not want to give you.

I know that for "older" versions of Astra, you can get an android radio, that you can install offline navigation (Copilot / Navigon / etc.) on, but i done actually know if one is available for the astra K.

Oh well, just asked google and it seems you can have one.

9 inches, which is bigger than both the original R4.0 and the Navi 900

Even claims that it has support for all existing functions in the car.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Anupanu
Astra Model: Elite 1.6CDTi 110
Astra Options: Intellilux, Driver & Parking Pack, AGR Power Seats
Astra Colour: Emerald Green

Post by Anupanu » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:06 pm

I and my son have always used Google Maps via Android Auto in my/our/his 66 plate Astra. I/we have never had issues with excessive data usage, but as astraowner says you can interrogate your own device to find out how much data Google maps is using. My guess is extra data would still be cheaper than changing the system over in your car. Oh, and more accurate as it is always updated, unlike some
Had
5 Nova/Corsa
4 Astra, including current Elite in Emerald Green 1.6CDTi 110
4 Cavalier/Vectra/Insignia ST
Scotia Grey Discovery Sport HSE Lux

bilboastra
Astra Model: Elite Nav 1.4T 150
Astra Options: None
Astra Colour: Carbon Flash

Post by bilboastra » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:17 pm

astraowner wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:19 am
cpr0305 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:44 pm
Hi All,

Cheers
Chris.
I haven't heard that google maps should be hard on the data connection.

If you are worried, just make it download the relevant maps and do offline navigation with it. Also there are apps that measure how much data each app is using, so maybe find one and test it out.

Personally i dont think about these things as my job pays for my phone and has a 15Gbyte/month plan for me. 8-)

Also, i seem to remember that retrofitting a NAVI 900 is all but impossible as you will need programming and a VCI code that only Vauxhall has, and does not want to give you.

I know that for "older" versions of Astra, you can get an android radio, that you can install offline navigation (Copilot / Navigon / etc.) on, but i done actually know if one is available for the astra K.

Oh well, just asked google and it seems you can have one.

9 inches, which is bigger than both the original R4.0 and the Navi 900

Even claims that it has support for all existing functions in the car.
Link please?

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:29 pm

bilboastra wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:17 pm
Link please?

http://smarty-trend.com/opel-astra-k-he ... -unit.html
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

11thastra

Post by 11thastra » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:42 pm

cpr0305 wrote:Hi All,

Cheers
Chris.
Hi.
Have you seen these?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1611947482

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11thastra

Post by 11thastra » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:44 pm

cpr0305 wrote:Hi All,

Cheers
Chris.
Or one with DVD player.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2455044875

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “How To”