Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Dashcam installation with pics of placement

87K views 85 replies 30 participants last post by  DP47 
#1 ·
Here's my installation of dashcam

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·
These pics were really useful, especially as my handbook says I have a fuse box in the glove box.

However I have piggy backed the same fuse, 5 along from the right on the bottom but the power is staying on to the camera with the ignition off.

Can anyone suggest another fuse that is not a permanent live?

#29 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for great advices, however under A pillar trim is located part of a curtain airbag.

Dash cam cable in front of the airbag can cause problem during the deployment, please have a look on the picture where a pillar is removed (just needs to be pulled out).

I would recommend to install dash cam cables behind curtain airbag where other cables are already installed by OEM...

Attachments

#30 ·
Dan said:
Hi All,

Thanks for great advices, however under A pillar trim is located part of a curtain airbag.

Dash cam cable in front of the airbag can cause problem during the deployment, please have a look on the picture where a pillar is removed (just needs to be pulled out).

I would recommend to install dash cam cables behind curtain airbag where other cables are already installed by OEM...
Mine was put in by taking that piece of fabric off that's how I put these pics together

#34 ·
There is talk of a special tool to remove the a pillar cover.

What does this tool look like ?

#36 ·
You should NEVER cross in front of any air bag with wires.
When the air deploys the instantneous enrgy is high enough to send the the wire snaking towards, and possibly wrapping itself around you.
It could also pull the camers from the screen and that too could fly into your face.

Don't beleive me, okay, carry on as usual, but hope the air bags never get deployed.

#37 ·
frank appleton said:
You should NEVER cross in front of any air bag with wires.
When the air deploys the instantneous enrgy is high enough to send the the wire snaking towards, and possibly wrapping itself around you.
It could also pull the camers from the screen and that too could fly into your face.

Don't beleive me, okay, carry on as usual, but hope the air bags never get deployed.
Well your wrong it's going passanger side of the car

#38 ·
If i interperet your pictures correctly, you mount the camera on the windscreen and tuck the wire under the headlining. You then appear to continue under the headlining until you reach the A pillar, which you then cross and tuck it under the A pillar draught excluder to bring it eventually to the fuse board. If that is correct you have crossed the path of the air bags deployment, which is dangerous.

#39 ·
frank appleton said:
If i interperet your pictures correctly, you mount the camera on the windscreen and tuck the wire under the headlining. You then appear to continue under the headlining until you reach the A pillar, which you then cross and tuck it under the A pillar draught excluder to bring it eventually to the fuse board. If that is correct you have crossed the path of the air bags deployment, which is dangerous.
But curtain airbags do not deploy through the A pillar...

The area in the red frame is covered by the curtain airbag when triggered (deployment zone).
For this reason, you must never leave or attach any items in this area.

#40 ·
frank appleton said:
Can clearly see from the pic that its passenger side not driver side

#41 ·
I agree, you do come down the passenger side of the A pillar.

My point is that you appear to hide the cable under the door draught excluder. In which case to get from the windscreen to the A pillar draught excluder you have to cross the A pillar.

If, however, you remove the A pillar trim you can tie the camera cable to the wiring that is already there.

This maybe is the route that you take, but it is not clear.

#44 ·
When the air bags deploy they force the A pillar trim off. To prevent it becoming a missile it is restrained by the tethering clip. Vauxhall say that this clip should be replaced every time the trim is taken off. In reality you only need to replace it if damaged.
If it didn't deploy in this manner there would no danger in crossing it, or the trim, with a cable.

If you have looked under the trim at the air bag you will see that it is contained within the top quarter of the trim , and its restrainig straps are secured towards the bottom of the A pillar. If it didn't throw the trim off it could not perform its correct function.

#45 ·
On my 2018 there appeared to be an addition switch in this trim? Anyone any thoughts on this? In the photos above it appears next to the tether and the silver metal clip. I had originally considered that it might be so the car "knew" the airbag had deployed?

Looks a bit different from the J, but was suitably similar.

#46 ·
Great guide, I am going to attempt this tomorrow!

Can you explain a bit more about the earthing/grounding (an idiot guide for me), I will be using the next base hardwiring kit.

Does the earth bit just clip over the nut or does it need a bit more attention than that?

thanks

#47 ·
On my hardwire kit, the grounding (negative) was a fork connector. Simply undo the bolt illustrated a couple of turns, push the fork under the head and do it back up.

Yes. This is a great guide and was the basis for my install.

Mine was a front/rear running the rear cable through the boot rubber, through the body of the car and up into the front headlining. All based from this guide. Took about an hour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.