Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

USB Port 2 ?

25K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  dazza80 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I notice that on my unit that there is a option for USB 2 but can only find 1 USB port in my car.
Apparently I heard that I need a USB Hub ?. Is it any time of hub I just need to buy, or is there a special one ?

Thanks
Jonny

#4 ·
Someone might correct me... but usb2 is for the rear seat usb ports i was lead to believe

#9 ·
BusaBob said:
Ha

There's plenty to choose from. So guessing it shows up on screen as USB 1 and USB 2 if you have 2 things plugged in?.

So normally I would have my phone plugged in for android auto. And a memory stick for music ? Will that work then?

Jonny

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

#13 ·
I bought a cheap ($A10) usb hub.

So far I am able to have Note8 connected for Android Auto, and a usb key filled with music.

Sometimes, the usb key is not recognized when I start the car. I just unplug it and plug it back in and all is fine. I am going to try a second usb key and see whether it recognizes that as well.

#14 ·
Update to my previous message. I just tested 2 usb keys with music, and my Note8 plugged into Android Auto.
I was able to use the Media button to choose between the music on the 2 usb keys, the music on my Note 8, and Android Auto was working as well.
Next I will try with 3 usb keys!

#16 ·
justBondi said:
I bought a cheap ($A10) usb hub.

So far I am able to have Note8 connected for Android Auto, and a usb key filled with music.

Sometimes, the usb key is not recognized when I start the car. I just unplug it and plug it back in and all is fine. I am going to try a second usb key and see whether it recognizes that as well.
Link please.

#20 ·
slamber said:
Just purchased an Anker 4-port USB 3.0 Hub from Amazon. Tested it with my NAVI 900 system and it works perfectly. Phone connects to car, Android Auto works and can access a USB stick at same time via 'Media' and play music, videos.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-4-Port-Ultra-Drives-Devices/dp/B00Y25XFGK
I bought this exact same hub and mine doesn't work with the cars usb port but works fine on a laptop, I wonder if there is a difference in the power of the usb ports in our cars depending on whether or not you have the dual rear ports? My SRI doesn't have rear ports does your car?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Proph said:
slamber said:
Just purchased an Anker 4-port USB 3.0 Hub from Amazon. Tested it with my NAVI 900 system and it works perfectly. Phone connects to car, Android Auto works and can access a USB stick at same time via 'Media' and play music, videos.

I bought this exact same hub and mine doesn't work with the cars usb port but works fine on a laptop, I wonder if there is a difference in the power of the usb ports in our cars depending on whether or not you have the dual rear ports? My SRI doesn't have rear ports does your car?

I think from MY17 onwards (maybe MY16.5) they changed the output on the usb in the armrest from 1A to 2.1A, so if yours is only outputting 1A then it might not be enough shared between your devices to actually work.

#22 ·
moleyjoel said:
Proph said:
slamber said:

I think from MY17 onwards (maybe MY16.5) they changed the output on the usb in the armrest from 1A to 2.1A, so if yours is only outputting 1A then it might not be enough shared between your devices to actually work.
Oh damn didn't know that, yes mine is a 16 plate, I wonder if it's easy enough to change it to the newer more powerful one

#23 ·
Proph said:
moleyjoel said:
Proph said:

Oh damn didn't know that, yes mine is a 16 plate, I wonder if it's easy enough to change it to the newer more powerful one

I imagine it would be a simple as just swapping out the usb module for the new higher rated one, but that's just a guess! Worth looking into it though as it should be a fairly cheap way to solve your problem! :D

#26 ·
I've just bought an 1.4T SRI and Apple Car Play works great. I have an ipod classic as my iphone can't fit all my music on it and an Anker 4 port hub.

I've tried to use both on the car but the "Car Play" button says "Projection" and that it won't activate the Car Play. I can play music through the ipod by selecting USB under the sources but haven't been able to get both at the same time?

Am I doing something wrong or is this not possible?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.