Two boot lights instead of one!

Useful How To posts
davidw
Astra Model: 1.6T Elite Nav
Astra Options: All except CD Player and Parking Pack
Astra Colour: Cosmic Grey

Re: Two boot lights instead of one!

Post by davidw » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:00 pm

AdieMcc, what bulbs have you put into the boot lights? Have you got a link to them?

Also, would you be able to list the method you used? I know it's probably simple I just want to double check a few bits.
Astra Hatchback Elite Nav |1.6i Turbo | 200 bhp | Cosmic Grey | Intellilux Matrix Headlights | Dark Rear Windows | Keyless Entry | Sports Seats (AGR - Approved) | Front and Rear Parking Sensors

AdieMcc
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4T 150
Astra Options: Reversing sensors
Astra Colour: Black

Post by AdieMcc » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:37 am

The bulbs I used were these off eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-ERROR-FRE ... SwcldUaD1h

You need about 4 metres of wire. Soldier one end to the connectors on new boot light.I put some heat shrink over the connectors aswell. Take the spare wheel out and the plastic trim as you look into the boot were the hatch close's. Then you feed the wire through the new light hole and feed it round the back of the car. I went through the metal frame at the back so you can't see the wire. Feed it to the old boot light and you can soldier or just wrap the wire connection's round the metal parts on the old light (seal with tape) to make a power connection. Then put the plastic trim back and spare wheel. Job done. :D

IMG_0254.PNG

Astra K 1.4T 150 Nav. Black,18" wheels, sensors front/back, heated seats/steering wheel, shark fin aerial, washed every 2 days :D

PeteVX16
Astra Model: 1.6T 200 Elite
Astra Options: Park assist, Power seat, Electronic key, LED rear
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by PeteVX16 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:59 pm

Hi all
Just a quick observation that I haven't noticed anyone mentioning securing the cable in place at regular intervals and protecting it when passing through metal panels. Cables should not be left free to droop and certainly not be in a position to be caught up in anything, it is electricity after all, we don't want our pride & joys going up in a ball of flame!
1.6T 200 Elite. Advanced park assist. LED tail lights. Powered AGR driver seat. Keyless entry and start. Spacesaver wheel. Pearlescent asteroid grey.

Astra, the way forward.

Xero
Astra Model: SRi 1.6T (200PS) S/S
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by Xero » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:14 am

Indeed! Iv bought cable ties for mine to fix the cable firmly in place. Just waiting for the lamp to arrive now. Don't want it flapping about and potentially coming loose and causing issues.
Summit White SRi 1.6 Turbo (200PS) S/S

Xero
Astra Model: SRi 1.6T (200PS) S/S

Post by Xero » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:08 pm

AdieMcc wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:37 am

Those bulbs are good for the interior roof lights, as they are mounted vertically and spread light in all directions. But they're not so good for the boot light, which are mounted horizontally and recessed into the boot mould, and only really makes use of 1 out of those 5 diodes.

I wasn't happy with the light output and got these instead;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391455515566? ... EBIDX%3AIT

These lie flat, and give far superior light coverage. I fully recommend them! They are physically bigger in length, and just about fit inside the light fitting, and no more! It's a tight fit, but they do fit. Can't wait to get my second fitting and have two of these side by side, I think the results will be amazing.
Summit White SRi 1.6 Turbo (200PS) S/S

davidw

Post by davidw » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:18 am

Those of you who have put LED strips in, have you wired it into the same circuit as the boot lights? I'd like to do this but I don't want to over load the electrics. I know this is unlikely due to LEDs having low consumption but better to be safe than sorry.
Astra Hatchback Elite Nav |1.6i Turbo | 200 bhp | Cosmic Grey | Intellilux Matrix Headlights | Dark Rear Windows | Keyless Entry | Sports Seats (AGR - Approved) | Front and Rear Parking Sensors

Razormatt
Astra Model: Elite Nav 1.4T (150PS)
Astra Options: Parking Sensors
Astra Colour: Carbon Flash

Post by Razormatt » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Xero wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:08 pm
AdieMcc wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:37 am

Those bulbs are good for the interior roof lights, as they are mounted vertically and spread light in all directions. But they're not so good for the boot light, which are mounted horizontally and recessed into the boot mould, and only really makes use of 1 out of those 5 diodes.

I wasn't happy with the light output and got these instead;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391455515566? ... EBIDX%3AIT

These lie flat, and give far superior light coverage. I fully recommend them! They are physically bigger in length, and just about fit inside the light fitting, and no more! It's a tight fit, but they do fit. Can't wait to get my second fitting and have two of these side by side, I think the results will be amazing.

These are what I have in my boot
Carbon Flash Elite Nav 1.4 (150PS) Turbo

davidw

Post by davidw » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:19 pm

I got my second light fitted today, and although I haven't soldered anything in about 4 years, it turned out okay. Next task is some mud flaps.

Daviasht
Astra Model: Elite Nav 1.4 T 150PS

Post by Daviasht » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:46 pm

davidw wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:19 pm
I got my second light fitted today, and although I haven't soldered anything in about 4 years, it turned out okay. Next task is some mud flaps.

If your fitting mud flaps I would recommend getting the genuine ones I got some aftermarket ones and they didn't fit well. Changed them for the genuine ones which fitted better and were a lot easier to fit

IMG_0534.JPG

Summit White 1.4T 150 Elite Nav | Delivered 14/12/2016 | MY16.5 | Tinted Rear Windows | Under Boot Storage Kit | Front & Rear Mud Flaps | Interior LED's | Sunglasses Holder | Extra Boot Light | Sports Seats (AGR - Approved) :D

jt123
Astra Model: 2016 - 1.6 CDTI SRi
Astra Options: Front & Rear Parking Sensors, Powerflex Bar
Astra Colour: Carbon Flash

Post by jt123 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:49 pm

davidw wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:18 am
Those of you who have put LED strips in, have you wired it into the same circuit as the boot lights? I'd like to do this but I don't want to over load the electrics. I know this is unlikely due to LEDs having low consumption but better to be safe than sorry.
If you're fitting an LED strip and changing the boot light to an LED bulb then the two combined will still draw less power than the one original bulb that was there originally 8-)

Return to “How To”