Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Two boot lights instead of one!

4K views 106 replies 35 participants last post by  Shaky 
#1 ·
The astra only comes with 1 boot light, but if you look at the opposite side you will notice a hole for another light. Order another bulb unit which only cost me £2.86 (that is cost price though) and buy some wire from eBay or wherever you want. Ive attached the packet the bulb came in so u no the part number. Then u just run the wire from one side to the other hiding it behind the trim and panels and hey presto. A nice cheap easy modification and double the light in the boot!

Attachments

See less See more
#77 ·
EvilScotsman said:
Max-Robbo said:
Gave this a go last night - turns out it was very easy with all the info posted above, so thanks all! Even with the negativity of the local parts dept.... "What do you want that (the lamp) for?" Because I do.. "It cant be done." Yes it can... "Nobody's bought that before." Your point is..? "You'll void your warranty" No I won't.. ;) :lol:

Also fit LED strip footwell lights while I was at it, wired them up to the map light so they come on when unlocking/opening doors and fade out with the map light. Thankfully the Astra is like a lego car - all the trim pieces just clip off!! No screws, no ratcheting, lovely stuff
How did you wire your footwell lights to the Dome light, was it by running the cables to the Dome light itself or via the fuse box. Any pictures of how you wired it?
Yeah I ran the wire through the side panel next to the door, up the A-pillar, and under the headlining by the windscreen. Made the (cowboy-style) connection by wrapping the ends of the wire around the terminals supplying the centre dome light. Took about an hour to get it all in the right place, being careful and trying not to snap anything! I'll take a couple of pictures when I get home, pretty straight forward once the panels are off though

#78 ·
EvilScotsman said:
Max-Robbo said:
Gave this a go last night - turns out it was very easy with all the info posted above, so thanks all! Even with the negativity of the local parts dept.... "What do you want that (the lamp) for?" Because I do.. "It cant be done." Yes it can... "Nobody's bought that before." Your point is..? "You'll void your warranty" No I won't.. ;) :lol:

Also fit LED strip footwell lights while I was at it, wired them up to the map light so they come on when unlocking/opening doors and fade out with the map light. Thankfully the Astra is like a lego car - all the trim pieces just clip off!! No screws, no ratcheting, lovely stuff
How did you wire your footwell lights to the Dome light, was it by running the cables to the Dome light itself or via the fuse box. Any pictures of how you wired it?
I have no idea how to upload pictures, so see the link below. To get the wire from the A pillar to the centre light unit, just push it behind the headlining where it meets the windscreen

#80 ·
joe.bloggs1 said:
sebati said:
Could you add a photo of lights please?:)
As you can see ive added another boot light to the left. But i have also added an led strip to the inside lip of the car to brighten it up more. The total price was less than £6 for the extra light and led strip.
Hi there,

I'm a new owner of an Astra 1.6 CDTi Innovation.

I'm interested in the horizontal and the vertical storage nets that you have installed in your boot.

Are these the original accessories from Opel or aftermarket solutions.

Links would be deeply appreciated.

Cheers

#88 ·
If you go back a few pages you will see how everyone has fitted there's ( including mine ) with a step by step guide. It's not worth getting the connector from Vauxhall because they'll want stupid money for it.

I solidered the ends of the wire too each connector and heat shrunk each connection so it's sealed.

#91 ·
Cheers AdieMcc. Car is in dealer on Tuesday for a service, so will order the light from them, was not quite sure if the wire required was a specific rating, so this is my next little job. Took the panels off today in the boot and the false floor to reveal the battery, looks a real simple upgrade to route the wire across. I don't think the car needs that many upgrades to be honest but I have done a few, door sills, mud flaps, hydraulic bonnet lifters.

#92 ·
Fitted the lamp today. Lamp £3.12 from dealer, 5 amp cable from halfords £3.70 for 7 metres which is long enough cut in half and for interior lights. So less than £7 for a nice wee light addition to the boot. Hardest part was soldering the wire to the new lamp as I have a bigger soldering iron but got there in the end.

#95 ·
#96 ·
#97 ·
moleyjoel said:
Wellman said:
Any links to decent LEDs that will fit bootlight and tail light? Previous links don't seem to work
I bought a whole set off eBay, gives you all the correct LEDs to upgrade all the internal bulbs, it includes an LED for the glove box for some reason, but you can use that for the second boot LED as they're the same. That's what I did anyway and it works fine! :)
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F282594601817
I got this kit also. Its excellent, made a huge difference throughout the car!

#100 ·
Corbil said:
Does anybody knows whats the use of the other two holes beside the boot light?

Not sure, but probably for some sort of flex organiser stuff, can be fitted there.

Rails or hook points.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.