Modification to OEM Light Switch to Disable Auto Headlights Part 1

Useful How To posts
Shaky
Astra Model: 1.4T Elite Nav Sports Tourer
Astra Options: Keyless Ignition, Power Tailgate, Parking Sensors,
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver OP189

Modification to OEM Light Switch to Disable Auto Headlights Part 1

Post by Shaky » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:33 pm

This is my method for dismantling the headlight switch. I didn’t do it this way when I first stripped it and it was really awkward. Once I re-assembled it, I realised this way worked out a LOT easier so hopefully it’ll make it easier for any of you lot that want to try it yourselves. Just remember some of these plastic bits are quite brittle so I won't be held responsible for anyone breaking anything.

Firstly, make sure the switch is in the “Auto” position, this makes removing the inner part easier later.

Just for clarity this is the switch I’ve modded, just in case anyone trying this has another type. I can't promise the procedure will be the same but I can't see why it wouldn't be.

OEM Switch.jpg

First, you need to remove the chrome ring from the top of the outer knob part. I used a combination of very thin-ended trim tools and my nails – lol. Find the bit that lifts the easiest first then continue around until it’s off. Keep it square to the switch while removing to avoid breaking the LED light transfer piece of plastic on it:-

Chrome Ring Removed.jpg

Then the outer knob ring needs to be removed. I found it easiest to squeeze it slightly so it becomes oval in shape and pop the widest part of the oval off the clip, then worked my way around as with the chrome ring. Once it’s popped above the level of the switch fascia, I got some trim tools in there and carefully prised it off:-

Knob Outer Removed.jpg

Now turn the switch face down and you need to remove the backplate by unclipping these six clips circled. This will allow you to remove the pcb and the wiper contacts as shown:-

PCB Board In Place.jpg

Outer Clips + PCB.jpg

Contacts Re-Positioned.jpg

Put the contacts out of the way coz they bounce lovely....don’t ask me how I know this. :mrgreen:

Contacts.jpg

You now need to remove the fascia of the switch to get at the blue main part of the light switch. There are five white clips in total, circled and arrowed as shown. I found it best to unclip the two at the round end of the switch, then the two middle ones (these come undone very easily and won’t require much force) and then the final one at the square end of the switch (this one was a right twat to undo on mine, both times I stripped it) and I found that if you push in hard while levering slightly away from the switch, it eventually came undone with a fairly loud “snap”.

End Fascia Clips.jpg

Middle Fascia Clips.jpg

End Fascia Clip.jpg

Continue to part 2 as amount of pics per post limit reached. :mrgreen:
I am Homer of Borg. Resistance is..............Hmmmm Doughnuts.
Detachable Towbar, Full-Size 18" Bi-Colour Alloy Spare Wheel, Modded Headlight Switch, HID Dipped/LED Main Headlights, Gas Bonnet Struts, Chevy Cruze Washer Jets

Shaky

Re: Modification to OEM Light Switch to Disable Auto Headlights Part 2

Post by Shaky » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:45 pm

Fascia Off.jpg

Now it’s time to remove the main blue body of the light switch. I found that as long as you made sure the light switch is in the “auto” position before you started disassembly, if you insert a small thin trim tool (or a small flat-blade screwdriver if you’re VERY careful) into the circled area shown, the switch part can be prised up and out of the switch frame:-

Blue Knob Inner.jpg

Once that is out, turn the switch over and look for the plastic moulded stop piece that will be in the area circled green as shown. It will look identical to the one circled red. (DO NOT remove the red circled piece as this is the clockwise stop) This stop is the piece of plastic you need to remove, how you do this is up to you but I used my dremel with a nice thin grinder attachment on. Be careful as the plastic framework is fairly thin here and you also don’t want to catch any other part while you’re grinding. You can see in the pic that I managed to catch a tiny bit of the inner plastic but thankfully it hasn’t affected the smooth operation of the switch.

Best Picture of Stop.jpg

That’s the mod done, now to re-assemble (the slightly fiddly bit!)
With the switch frame facing upwards, position the blue knob piece as shown to make sure the two outer cut-outs are at the bottom and the biggest two inner cut-outs are horizontal and perpendicular to the switch frame:-

Blue Knob Inner Positioned for Replacing.jpg

Then turn the blue knob over (without letting it rotate out of the previous position) and sit it on the top of the switch frame mounting position, making sure that the two outer notches are still in the correct position as shown:-

Outer Notch Positioning.jpg

Then firmly and evenly push the blue knob back into the frame until you hear it click once. This will get it 50% of the way in. It will have been stopped by the spring-loaded bar that gives the switch it’s resistance at each of the light positions:-

Spring Bar to Push In.jpg

Now is the bit where you need three hands – lol. Turn the switch frame over and keeping pressure on the blue knob from below, push the circled end of the spring-loaded bar in towards the centre of the frame opening. This should allow that side of the blue knob to go in the last few mm required. Then repeat the process with the other end of the bar (very little access here and tbh the 2nd time I did it, it just pushed in without me having to push the bar-end in so you may be lucky.

Once the blue knob is back in place, check for correct operation. It should move anti-clockwise to a stop then spring back into place and notch twice clockwise. If all is well, time to re-assemble the outer parts.

First, replace the switch fascia, which is simply a reversal of the removal process. Then replace the wiper contacts/fog light contacts and pcb

Contacts Re-Positioned.jpg

PCB Board In Place.jpg

and snap the rear panel back into place aligning the six clips on the frame.

To replace the knob outer ring, align the led light slot in the outer ring with the slot in the blue knob piece as shown and carefully and firmly push the ring into place until it clicks. If it’s in place correctly, the top of the outer ring should be the thickness of the chrome ring below the fog light switches.

Black Ring Postioning.jpg

Chrome Ring Removed.jpg

Then simply click the chrome ring back into place, allowing the led light plastic piece for the chrome ring to go through the two slots in the knob inner and outer pieces.

Re-fit the switch and check that it still works correctly and also that auto-lights still disable when the switch is flicked anti-clockwise.

Hope this helps anyone who wants to give it a go. :mrgreen:
Detachable Towbar, Full-Size 18" Bi-Colour Alloy Spare Wheel, Modded Headlight Switch, HID Dipped/LED Main Headlights, Gas Bonnet Struts, Chevy Cruze Washer Jets

Gunde

Re: Modification to OEM Light Switch to Disable Auto Headlights Part 1

Post by Gunde » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:07 am

Great guide. Thanks.
Astra K 1.6 CDTi. Mods: AGR driver's seat, 360° 3D camera, SeatSkinz, heated armrest and rear seats, footwell and glovebox lights, light under boot floor, gear surround ambient light, pedalbox, wood-look trim and black felt interior.

Kcirtap
Astra Model: CDTI 1.6
Astra Options: ELITE
Astra Colour: Flip Chip

Post by Kcirtap » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:28 pm

Great tutorial, but when I did mine the switch was completely differently.
The mechanism is similar but the take apart is not the same.
Best of luck to anyone who tries it but, it is worth it!

And thanks for the tutorial, nice to see!

Shaky

Post by Shaky » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:14 pm

Kcirtap wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:28 pm
Great tutorial, but when I did mine the switch was completely differently.
The mechanism is similar but the take apart is not the same.
Best of luck to anyone who tries it but, it is worth it!
And thanks for the tutorial, nice to see!
What year is your car Kcirtap ? Mine's a 2016. Just wondered if they've changed the switch build in later years ? Also, you haven't got Intellilux have you as I believe they're on a different switch altogether ? I know the Corsa E switch I bought a while ago to get around the auto lights issue is put together totally different as I originally tried to dismantle that to simply swap PCB's over but after a few mins. faffing, I decided to give up before the switch fell to bits :lol:

stc954
Astra Model: K Elite Turbo 2017
Astra Colour: Grey

Post by stc954 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:57 pm

Great guide. Thanks for sharing

Shaky

Post by Shaky » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:14 pm

Gunde wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:07 am
Great guide. Thanks.
stc954 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:57 pm
Great guide. Thanks for sharing
You two guys manage it OK then ? One of the lads on my Corsa E switch for sale thread had a problem getting it back together that's all. :(

AntHunt

Post by AntHunt » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:23 pm

I’m guessing that this mod only turns off the sidelights/headlights? Nothing on the rear? Also guessing the running lights stay on? Front and rear?

Ant.

Shaky

Post by Shaky » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:02 am

AntHunt wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:23 pm
I’m guessing that this mod only turns off the sidelights/headlights? Nothing on the rear? Also guessing the running lights stay on? Front and rear?
Ant.
The drl's stay on, of that I'm certain Ant but I didn't think the rear lights were part of the drl circuit ? There certainly doesn't appear to be any mention of it in the TIS wiring diagrams that I can see anyway. The rear lights also turn off when the auto lights are disabled.