ASTRA K ACTIVE FRONT GRILLE

Useful How To posts
ROBINHOOD
Astra Model: 1.6 CDTI SPORTS TOURER EXCELLENCE
Astra Options: AGR + SUNROOF + 18'' STEEL RIM + NAVIGATION + F1
Astra Colour: WHITE

ASTRA K ACTIVE FRONT GRILLE

Post by ROBINHOOD » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:40 pm

Has anyone retrofited an active grille? or is there an original of it ?
ASTRA K SPORTS TOURER 1.6 CDTI 136HK AT EXCELLENCE + NAVI900 + AGR + 18" BICOLOR RIM + SUNROOF + SPORT FUNCTION + AIRWILNESS + INTELLILUX LED MATRIX HEADLAMP + F1 STEERINGWHEEL + GHOST SPEEDOMETER

ROBINHOOD
Astra Model: 1.6 CDTI SPORTS TOURER EXCELLENCE
Astra Options: AGR + SUNROOF + 18'' STEEL RIM + NAVIGATION + F1
Astra Colour: WHITE

Re: ASTRA K ACTIVE FRONT GRILLE

Post by ROBINHOOD » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:24 pm

Photo of the product I mentioned

IMG-20190724-WA0015.jpeg

ASTRA K SPORTS TOURER 1.6 CDTI 136HK AT EXCELLENCE + NAVI900 + AGR + 18" BICOLOR RIM + SUNROOF + SPORT FUNCTION + AIRWILNESS + INTELLILUX LED MATRIX HEADLAMP + F1 STEERINGWHEEL + GHOST SPEEDOMETER

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:20 am

What are your expectations with this retrofit.

Is this the grille with the radar for the Adaptive Cruice Control.

Is it just to get a different optic view of the car, as the radar fitted grille has a different emblem to enable the radar to penetrate, or do you want to try and retrofit the ACC so that it works in the car ?

If you want to retrofit the radar and have it working i bet that there is no one that has tried this as it would probably mean obtaining VCI codes that it is highly unlikely that Vauxhall would ever release.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Crosseyxpower
Astra Model: Sri nav
Astra Colour: Red

Post by Crosseyxpower » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:40 am

The active grilles purpose is to heat the car up quicker and to allow the flow of air go around the car instead of hitting the radiator. This also allows for better drag efficiency so in turn helps mpg. Many bmws have this technology and have done so for many years, but i seen it as another problem to go wrong and potentially cook the engine if it fails to open.

mrtailorson_
Astra Model: CDTI 1.6 (136 PS)
Astra Options: Enjoy (a.k.a not much)
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by mrtailorson_ » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:59 am

Crosseyxpower wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:40 am
but i seen it as another problem to go wrong and potentially cook the engine if it fails to open.
ooops :)

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:04 pm

Crosseyxpower wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:40 am
The active grilles purpose is to heat the car up quicker and to allow the flow of air go around the car instead of hitting the radiator. This also allows for better drag efficiency so in turn helps mpg. Many bmws have this technology and have done so for many years, but i seen it as another problem to go wrong and potentially cook the engine if it fails to open.
Ok, so it has "blinds" than can open and close.

What are the parameters for them ?

I guess that it closes the blinds when the engine is cold as described.

But the drag efficiency would be done how ?

Im guessing that closing the blinds makes the car smoother in the front airflow wise but airflow would be most important at high speeds and closing those blinds at the higher speeds where the engine is working harder, would mean that the engine would get hotter.

Or maybe it's a "We close them as much as possible while still keeping enough air across the radiator".

Does anyone have a schematic of the electric modules in the car...Im guessing that it has it's own ECU together with the grille actuator to move the blinds, but also that it has to get temperature and speed information from some CAN BUS. I would guess that some module has to have the sending of the control signals, turned on, for this to communicate with the rest of the car....Which again means....VCI....
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Return to “How To”